Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

For me, I'm somewhat ambivilent. I love the mountains, particularly the Applilatians. There is a certain serenity about the forest and living there in the wilds and solitude of God's creation. As for the beach? I love the "largeness" of our Great Lakes OR the ocean. The stillness but powerful sounds of the waves, the wind and the goreous sunsets are powerful reminders of how insignificant we are. I do tend to steer clear of hurricane and tornado areas; but hey, life's short no matter where we live. So, I would probably opt for the lush mountains, that is, with the optoin of visiting the beach areas.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Would rather live near ocean as that's where I grew up. Have missed the salty breezes for almost 50 years. Also...fewer Mosquitos and no black flies.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Mountains, got to have trees and not flat ground. Currently live in Florida and everything looks the same one level everywhere I want not to know whats over the next hill or mountain. Change of seasons normally comes with mountains just when you get tired of one season it's on to the next. Did I say Mountains.
0 Kudos

How can anyone really choose between two beautiful places? Lucky me-I live in the San Francisco Bay Area -between the two- and get to enjoy them both!

I think one should live where ones' soul and heart is the happiest. Check them both out to decide or live in the middle between them if you can't make up your mind and enjoy them both!

And please don't forget the other wonderful places to live-the Plains or the Everglades. We are so lucky to have such a diversity of environments here in the USA to chose from.

Happy 4th of July!
0 Kudos
Contributor

In Response to Re: Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
Easy.  I would love to live in the mountains of Montana, Wyoming or Idaho because I've been there and there is nothing more beautiful than the tall, rugged, rocky mountains of our beautiful west.  However, I would love to spend my winters on the beautiful beaches of the Florida Gulf Coast.  I think that would give me the best of this beautiful country.
Posted by pegret

Become a full time RV'er and you can easily do just that!
0 Kudos

The mountains. The higher the better. Unfortunately, my wife would prefer to live by the beach. We compromise by having one home in the Idaho hills and one in the SoCal desert; not too far froma beach. Works for us.
0 Kudos
Contributor

An Island in Puget Sound.
0 Kudos

The beach any day of the week and twice on the weekend!!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

In Response to Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?:
Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Posted by LynneG

I wouldn't live on the coast for anything.  With global warming, hurricanes tsunamis, I prefer the highlands.  I grew up in the Mohawk valley, from Schenectady to currently in Mohawk Village area, but not on the river, up in the hills,  Currently Mohawk is a flood disaster area, and my road has washed out, as well as the state road.  Still better than the coast or next to a river or large creek.  In Florida I live in Highlands county,  I always say, this part of Florida came out of the water about 1 and 1/2 million years ago, so I don't think it is going to get submerged anytime soon.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Posted by LynneG

I would have to say the beach would be my choice since I grew up near the Jersey shore and I have such incredibly fond memories of that experience.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Oh The Mountains always!  Fresh air, live flora and fauna..The big Pines..The scent of the Seasons. Nature as it should be..
0 Kudos

By the beach for me. Something about water - peace, tranquility, great on hot summer days, boating, swimming.
0 Kudos

Give me the Mountains anytime,the beach is ususlly hot,once you have seen one beach,you have seen it all,the mountains will give you 4 seasons of beauty ,the beach cannot
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would love to live at the beach but visit the mountains at least once a year.  I feel more relaxed and healthier at sea level.

The Beach! The sea beckons like a primordial call- I could walk the shoreline every day and never tire of the sound of waves, smell of salt water and feel of the ocean breeze...

I would rather live by the mountains, if I couldn't have both.

0 Kudos

I grew up in southeastern near the mountains.  I would rather live in the mountains and enjoy the beautiful mountains.
0 Kudos

Both are great! But I'd rather be warm with the sound of the waves. I'll take the beach. 🙂

Posted by LynneG

I've lived in Hawaii and I've had a condo on Lake Michigan in Chicago.  I've lived at the foot of the Appalachians as well at near Mt. Rainier. The beach and the mountains both have special appeal and memories for me. But at the end of the day, I find water more appealing than mountains.
0 Kudos

I already lived by the beach and now live in the mountains. I love the peace & quite of the mountains, I love the 4 seasons and watching the leaves change and the wild life. Here in North Georgia the winters are mild and the fall is Awesome! I lived in big cities all my life and wouldn't change this peace of mind for anything
0 Kudos

By all means, I'd live by the beach! California has so many options for both it's a hard decision. The comfort of the crashing waves of the ocean is such a peaceful and soothing sound it just takes away any stress for me. I'd love living by the beach!

The ocean is where I would want to be.  The soothing sounds and the fact that it is always moving and changing.  I love to beach walk and I love to just sit and think.  Very relaxing and certainly a part of my life that I would love to be able to enjoy every single day.

Probably the beach. I love the mountain areas too.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I think both: the mountains in summer and the beach in winter. I guess that way you never really have winter.
0 Kudos

Without a doubt by the mountains.  And forests & lakes too.
0 Kudos

Anywhere besides Tucson in late June!  This is when I really miss Seattle.
0 Kudos

Both have their beauties and distractions, so the real concern for me is which one has the LEAST amount of mosquitos and snakes! ( here in middle Georgia we have an overabundance of both )
It's extremely hard to enjoy any environment when there are biting, stinging, dangerous critters all around. I seem to be a magnet for any kind of biting insect, and last week came within a heartbeat, twice, of being struck by a snake. 
But deep in my heart  lately i have had an overwhelming longing to move as close to the eastern shore beachs as possible, and not just any beach, but white sandy shorelines! The gray sand &/or rocky ones don't ring my bells at all. I have no desire for water sports of any kind, so lakes hold no appeal to me, i just enjoy the wonderful delights that being close to the ocean offers our five senses. 
0 Kudos

The only problem with the beach is the population and pollution. For that reason, I would rather live in the mountains. You just can't beat the clean air!
0 Kudos

The mountains with a view of a lake!
0 Kudos

Both! Have enjoyed a mountain place in the summer for 57 years. Last year bought a beach place for the winter.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP