Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Periodic Contributor

I love the water but most places by the sea are so humid.  I live by the mountains and I love it.  The climate suits me and the mountains are soooo beautiful.

0 Kudos

The beach is amazing. I love the mountains too.

0 Kudos
Contributor

no

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

The Beach Bcause it's relaxing and the scenery is beautiful 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would rather live in the mountains by a lake...

0 Kudos
Contributor

Beach!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Have lived in both places,  Beaches and Mountains have good and bad points. The beach can be warm, wonderful, then cold miserable, high waves.  The mountains can be absolutly gorgeous, Springtime come to mind, more to do than on the beach.  Yes it gets cold windy, snow, in the mountains.  Both places are great to visit and live.  Be prepared for a  great titme at either.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would choose to be near the coolness of mountains! Beaches are nice vacation places, but long term, the fresh air and cool breezes win out!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Beach!!! I have ocean water flowing through my veins.....!!! The smell of the ocean makes me happy. I love the mountains and have enjoyed many wonderful times there, but no place could come close to the beach!!! Even as crowed as it can be......the beach, the beach, the beach!!!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Living in Rock Hill, SC we have the best of everything.  It is 3hrs to the beach, 2hrs to the mountains and near a big city but not in it.  We only occassionally get a dusting of snow, hurricanes are almost no worry this far inland and we have wonderful weather. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Somewhere in between? I love the water, but I also love the desert AND the mountains. The one absolute condition for me is being near a university or artists' hub, somewhere with cultural options -- and not just high, but also low!

Right now, I'm in NYC, where I was born, bred (& corrupted) and where I've spent two-thirds of my life (having lived in Chicago, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and spent some time in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Paris). But I need to get out soon. As someone once said: Live in New York City, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in California, but leave before it makes you soft. After so many years of big city living, I think I need some softening, so plan to move out west in the next couple of years!

0 Kudos

I would live in the mountains. I enjoy the peace and solitude that I find there.

0 Kudos

My husband and I always talked of retiring in the Smokies, but now we have two grandsons, 4 and 1, who live in Melbourne, Florida .... so now it's very difficult! I just hate heat, but love those boys ... and we are in Ohio and are tired of winters!!!!! What to do????
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

This is the eternal discussion in my house. I am definitely a mountain person, my wife is a beach person. It makes planning vacations interesting.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hands down .... Mountains! There's something about the mountains ... A peaceful, tranquil feeling comes over me when there which tells me that's where I'm suppose to be! ๐Ÿ˜Š
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would live in the mountains. I love mountains.

0 Kudos

The beach beckons...finances do not (yet) support that lifestyle...
0 Kudos

We are so fortunate to live in the middle of North Carolina where we can be in the Blue rRdge Mountains in 1 1/2 hours and at the beach in 4 hours but since I am older, I prefer the wonderful cool air in the mountains and the beautiful senic views.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I went thru a flood in 2009 in Willoughby Spit and it was traumatic. No injuries but damaged belongings. I had to move the rest by myself to a garage next door. We were out of the house 2 months. I had to sleep in my truck a few night after my cash ran out. We never thought we'd be in this position because we were up on a foundation but had 6" of water in the house. I want to move to Flat Rock, North Carolina, hours away from the coast. No traffic, lots of nature, and you can see the stars at night!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would rather live by the ocean.  I love the fresh smell, the sound and the feel of the ocean.  I am a little afraid of heights so although the mountains are beautiful, they don't hold too much interest for me.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I love both, so I live in the Seattle Area, by the ocean and many sets of mountains.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I prefer the beach.  I love the view of mountains, but the mountains are much cooler.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We live on the Olympic Penninsula in Washington state so we really do "have it all."  The only problem is that the ocean is VERY cold & the winters are gloomy...

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Not hard to answer.

You can only LOOK at mountains. And usually boring.

Beaches can be used. Boating, swimming, fishing, etc.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Well, you can climb the mountains, hunt in the forests, fish the streams, hike and see some breathtaking views, snow ski in the mountains, drive/bike some really curvy fun roads in the mountains, and it is always cooler in the mountains than at the base. 

All that being said, I prefer the ocean any day. I am a consumate beach walker, a shell seeker, a snorkeler, a swimmer, and a picnicing-adult-beverage-drinking, people watching machine. I have a toast for every sunset, a sand auger for my umbrella, & a taste for salt on my skin & sand between my toes. Nothing is better than the sound of surf to lull you to sleep, and no one sleeps better than one who has spent their day ON the beach. Pack up the cooler, the swimsuit, the sunscreen & the beach chairs: I'm IN!! 

We can go for a couple of days to the mountains, but the beach is where I find peace.

0 Kudos
Contributor

The water.
As was the slogan at a recent Boat Show, "Life is dry without a boat."
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I was born and raised in Central Pennslyvania in the beautiful "Seven Mountains", I played in the mountains all day long and swam in the ice cold creeks, wonderful way to grow up; my family's one week a year vacation consisted of a trip to the Delaware Bay, a trip that I dreamt and yearned for all year long. I then went off to a college in Virginia located in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley with mountains all around and "Wild Wonderful West Virginia" just a quick trip away. After about 8 years there I decided it was time to return to the beach and moved on a whim over the Fourth of July to Broadkill Beach, Delaware. I enjoyed every single day of all the seasons there for 9 years, finally I wanted 'all beach all year round' and have moved to the middle Florida Keys, my home for the last 25 years. I am now in the process for looking for a summer retreat back in the Seven Mountains, finally getting the best of both worlds!! But Beach it would be if I had to pick one!

Periodic Contributor

I live in the mountains and the trees are beautiful but I have to drive down the mountain sometimes through the heavy fog which is more difficult than snow, and there isn't much to do up here.  In Los Angeles, the beach is close, the mountain is 1 1/2 hour away, there is theatre, and jazz close by.  I will be moving soon G-d willing. 

Barbara J. Samuels, M.S.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It would be hard to choose, as I love both.  However, I have the best of both worlds.  I live by the beach (in San Diego, CA) and enjoy visiting the seals, sea lions, dolphins, sea birds, etc.  I have a kayak and enjoy kayaking in the lakes and ocean.  But when I feel the need for pine trees, deer, wild turkeys and starry nights, I can drive an hour into the mountains and get my fill.  I can even enjoy snow in the winter, but be back to warm weather by evening.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We live on a lake so that gives us the best of both worlds. We have the serenity and beauty of nature plus the luxury of enjoying water sports such as paddle boarding, jetskiing, and boating.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP