Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Retired Community Manager

Would you rather live by the beach or in the mountains?

Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?
Contributor

IT'S THE BEACH,  Ocean water cleanses the soal !

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@AARPLynne wrote:
Thinking back to growing up near the Adirondack's, of course I have to say...the mountains! How about you?

I grew up in upstate NY, much nearer to the mountains than the ocean, however once to the beach and the water, I'm an ocean lover first. I enjoy the mountains in the spring or fall for short periods but the ocean and the beach is more energetic with more activities, seafood, boating diving, and working on your skin cancer (if you're not careful). Fishing and boating on lakes can be fun and I grew up swimming in lakes - but for me nothing compares to diving or snorkeling, sailing, and reading a good book with a good cigar (once in a while,no inhaling) and an ice cold martini...Spartan I'm not...

0 Kudos

I have always loved the mountains and would absolutely love to like in the mountains somewhere in the west.  I'm from a big city and think that lifestyle would be so peaceful.  Both my husband and I love nature and wildlife.  It would be a perfect match for us!!Heart

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

0 Kudos

Live near the beach and visit the mountains...
0 Kudos

Beach.  No doubt about it.

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Lived close to beach all my life. Ready for the mountains. You discredit it perfect. At 60, I'm looking to share a place with nice Christian lady.
0 Kudos

I love the mountains and nature. Can anyone suggest a warm state " not California please" I'm in Illinois right now, however haveing the cold
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The warmest states, with mountains, are in the Pacific Northwest (not counting Hawaii). If you're serious about relocating, then you'd want to be someplace in Oregon or Washington state.  Bad news about those states is that they, contrary to the old wives tales, don't have more rain than Illinois does, but do have many more overcast days, primarily in winter. Winter is pretty gloomy, but usually mild with little snow that doesn't stay.   It's considered cold there when it gets to the low 40's.

If I had my druthers, I would be relocating someplace north of Seattle. Seattle is expensive, but housing is more reasonable outside the big city.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

the beach! i am tired of freezing; unless we are talking switzerland.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@seven7blueberries wrote:

the beach! i am tired of freezing; unless we are talking switzerland.

There are beaches where it's cold in winter, and they're covered with snow! I live near those kind; it's not the kind of beach you'd want for year-round summer! :(-

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Defianately in the mountains. I already found my perfect house http://www.pallspera.com/mls/4246456/. Now, the last step is left - save the money.

0 Kudos

live, breath mountains and visit the beach
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I really wish AARP hadn't "locked" the discussion categories & subcategories! This is a great topic, but ISN'T about "Travel" .. there just isn't a subcategory for "Retirement Locations"!

I wanted to live near the beach, and that's where I moved almost 7 years ago, in my mid-50s. But now knowing people in their 80s & thinking ahead, I realize that at some point I won't want/or be able to drive as much for every little errand. I'm very much a single family, single level house person, so I'm frustrated that whereas developers build great little modern homes in 55+ communities, nothing like that is being built near walkable downtown areas!

I've been using a variety of search engines & cross-checking locations, but often the results don't seem accurate .. like listing towns 2+ hours from a beach, when the #1 outdoor feature you've selected is "beach"! My favorite search engines are the following .. do you have any you'd like to share?

www.FindYourSpot.com

www.BestPlaces.net

www.WalkScore.com

www.Realtor.com

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

BENCH.jpg

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@SIMPLEGAL wrote:

BENCH.jpg

IF I'm not mistaken this is a photo of the Beaufort, SC waterfront park? A couple of weeks and they will begin the Water Festival for ten days. Great events, vendors, entertainment. Neal McCoy is the headliner this year as I recall.  Looking for a place to retire - check out Beaufort, SC

0 Kudos

I love this question because it is what I have been asking myself since I realized retirement is here and as a single women where to go or what to do? I live the smell and homey fill of the mountians but yet I love to fall asleep to the sound of crashing waves. I am looking for a great place to retire without the petty actions of high school the strive to be the best at college and the cutthroat of business.  Any suggestions

0 Kudos

I live by the beach but have always craved the mountains
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

The Alps in Austria or Northern Italy.

The exchange rate and lack of homes for sale, in comparison to here, is the issue.

Alex
0 Kudos

Both would be ideal, but mountains win.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Mountains near the beach for me!
0 Kudos
Contributor

The ocean is my source of renewal. Give me sand, waves, sea birds, sand crabs, salt air, long walks and friendly people.

0 Kudos

beach
0 Kudos
Contributor

Would much rather live by the beach. As I get older you don't  know how much I HATE the cold & snow!!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would rather live by the beach, I live by the beach now..
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Well the fact that we moved from Illinois (Outside of Chicago, North Burbs) to Wyoming during the last week of August, 2014, it's obvious we want the mountains. Majestic and peaceful. The clean, crisp air is refreshing. I was stationed in Hawaii while in the USMC, I saw my fair share of beaches in Hawaii and far off lands across several oceans, but my attention has always been towards the mountains. There is just something about them that always gets my full attention.
0 Kudos

I always liked the mountains and thought I would end up living there but we recently found ourselves living at the beach and I absolutely love it.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would rather live by the beach

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes I would rather live in the mountains!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP