You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where would you most like to travel?

Message 31 of 1,153

I want to travel in the near future 2019 to accura Ghana.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 1,153

baha mexico

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 1,153

Lets start with Italy (Rome) and then Paris and surrounding country side.  After that a cruise to include Northern Europe and Russia

After or inbetween those visits I would like a cruise to the far East.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: US Southwest Bucket List Car Trip

Message 34 of 1,153

Great that you are planning a road trip. My first piece of advice is to avoid the interstates whenever possible! Second is to not be stringent as to planning your days. Savor each and every stop, talk with the locals and other travelers and do spur of the moment 'detours' if you hear of something interesting.

Take your time..road trips should not be a race. 

Last fall, my roadtrip buddy and I traveled the entire Route 66. A month was not enough and, as usual we took a variety of 'detours'/sidetrips based on recommendations. 

Another suggestion is to do more than one trip so that the memories are not overwhelming.

From north central Texas, I would suggest heading to Amarillo and picking up the old Route 66. Head to Santa Fe and then to Flagstaff where you can leave 66 and drive south to Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon. This will take at least 2-3 weeks or possibly more depending on sidetrips and staying a couple of nights in interesting locations..such as Santa Fe and Flagstaff as a 'home case' to visit the Grand Canyon and to hike Walnut Creek Canyon. 

If you take 66 you'll drive through the Painted Desert and the Pertrified Forest..sights to behold.

I'd recommend September or perhaps late spring in hopes that the deserts will be in bloom.

AAA has a Route 66 map and triptik and there is a book called EZ 66 by Jerry McClanahan (best to have a travel buddy to help you navigate).

Whatever you do..take your time and enjoy!!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: US Southwest Bucket List Car Trip

Message 35 of 1,153

@p898924g Sounds like a great trip with some very interesting places planned. Much depends on how long you want to devote to the trip if you choose to break it up into two or more trips. It could easily be a 2 month+ trip for all if you explore each state well. Also, what time of the year are you planning? Snow could be an issue in some places if you're starting in the fall.

I'm not familiar with north central Texas, but some of my favorite sites I've been to (and a few that I've researched but haven't been to yet) include the following:

CO: Denver, Boulder, Mesa Verde National Park, Garden of the Gods, Four Corners (The Archaeology Day Tour at Crow Canyon is very interesting if you're at all interested in archeology)

UT: All the national parks--Bryce Canyon, Arches, Zion, Moab

NM: Santa Fe is an interesting city to spend some time exploring.

AZ: Sedona, Monument Valley, and of course the Grand Canyon

ID: I really liked Boise. It has a small-town feel despite being the capital. Also of interest--Shoshone Falls and Craters of the Moon National Monument.

I did Colorado and New Mexico as one trip and Idaho and Salt Lake City (plus other states) as another trip. For me, that was good to break it up into three trips (I haven't been to Arizona yet) because there was a lot to see and I appreciated it more than doing all at one time.

Let us know what you decide on for your plans. You have a wonderful trip(s) ahead!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

US Southwest Bucket List Car Trip

Message 36 of 1,153

I am planning a bucket list trip from North Central Texas through New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and maybe Idaho. I would like to see all of the sites and experience lots of things. May decide to make this two separate driving trips, depending upon how much there is to see and do. I am not opposed to driving long hours each day, but would like to have my destinations planned out for the most part, and only derail if a sign or something interesting derails me. I am open to all types of experiences, but want to cover each state as much as possible to include all the high points with a few exceptions. One of the places I can pretty much skip is the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, as I have been there several times throughout the years and seen what is there.

Would like on things to see and do, but also would like your viewpoint on how many states to include in one trip, i.e. all mentioned or two at a time, or even whether or not it would be worth including Idaho. I am not at all wealthy, but will make certain to afford to do things I should not miss.

This trip has been a lifelong desire of mine to experience the Southwest in its entirety. Thank you for any insight you may offer.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 1,153

I would love to go to Australia and New Zealand.  The people are so welcoming and the scenery is just beautiful.  I would also like to see the Grand Canyon and Maine.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 1,153

@geebes

Spain is one of my favorite countries and one that I've traveled around extensively and lived in (Madrid and Granada) a couple of times.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Where would I most like to travel to?

Message 39 of 1,153

@n566192l

Good choices. I was in Iceland several years ago. Beautiful, eerie country. I took advantage of the 3-day stopover on the way to another destination in Europe (for me, London, at that time). I haven't been to the Galapagos Islands, though.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 1,153

to Spain!!!

Kudos
Views