Community Manager
Community Manager

Where would you most like to travel?

In the U.S. I would love to see more of our national parks in the western states. Overseas, I'm interested in seeing eastern Europe, and Africia would also be on my "leap list".

I would like to finish my list of visiting all of the 50 states, visit national parks in the West, visit South America and Antartic.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would like very much to see Yellowstone National Park. I also would like to go to Hawaii and see the Pearl Harbor Memorial and pay tribute to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice. Next would be Alaska the last frontier . I have two grandchildren in Germany and that would be wonderful to see them.
0 Kudos

I've been to South America ---mostly Brazil.  (I lived there while in the Peace Corps, so I speak Portuguese, which makes things easier.) I would definitely recommend Rio, but it is expensive.

Iguaçu Falls was one of my favorite places. It's outside a small quiet town. You can get a bus to the falls and afterward take a three-minute or so walk to a fabulous bird park where you can get into some of the cages to take close-up photos with the birds.  Another day you can take a bus to the Argentinean side of the falls and spend another day touring the power plant. (I didn't see the plant but other guests in my hotel enjoyed it.)

First ---very important ---you need a visa to get into Brazil.  If you arrive at customs without one, they will send you home.  (If you are going to Argentina from Brazil for one day just to see the falls, no visa is required.)

I suggest you find the cheapest fare you can find to Brazil ---perhaps to Rio, or any city you want to see, and buy a Brazil air pass.  You have to buy the pass after you purchase your flight to Brazil (they require confirmation of your international flight) and while you are still at home.  It's not available once you are in Brazil. You have to set your itnerary when you purchase the pass.  It can be changed but with fees. The least expensive pass allows up to 4 legs within Brazil.  You can purchase up to 9 legs, but of course the cost is higher.

In 2011, I wanted to visit my old Peace Corps site near Aracajú.  A flight from home to there and back would have been $1600.  I found a flight to Rio for $1020 and purchased an air pass for $585 ---so for $1605 (included taxes and fees) I flew to Rio and had 4 flights within the country. I flew from Rio to Aracajú, then to Manaus, then to Iguaçu and back to Rio for my 4 legs.  There are other rules (can't take the same route in the same direction twice, if layovers are more than 4 hours it counts as 2 legs, some flights have extra charges but there are always some on the same route without ---but perhaps not at your preferred time, etc.)  Air passes are available through TAM and GOL, so check both for the best itinerary for you. (Prices are similar.) 

There are also S. American air passes, but they don't go to every country.

My favorite place in all of S.America was Machu Picchu in Peru. I also visited Montevideo and Buenos Aires, but it was winter there (July) and it rained a lot. I think both would be better during our winter, their summer.

Just remember that in S.America, things are different.  Almost everything moves at a slower pace.  Some places are old and run-down, bathrooms may not be as modern as at home, etc.  (In some cities you cannot flush toilet paper, must deposit it in a trash can.) Unlike Europe there are lots of places without English speakers. Just be flexible and enjoy the differences. Love each location for what it is, not what you'd like it to be. (If you are staying at expensive hotels, things will be more like home, but not have as much "color and flavor" of that country.)

Be sure to buy a Senior Pass to U.S. National Parks if you don't already have one.  One pass will be good for at least two people (maybe more)  ---and is a one-time purchase, good for life. I think it costs $20 (which is what you would pay to visit the Grand Canyon once, for example) so it will likely pay for itself in one trip.

Boa Viagem! ("Have a good trip" in Portuguese.)

0 Kudos

Tennessee and Jeckyl Island
0 Kudos

I would love to explore the continent of Africa.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would very much like to go to Chicago and new Orleans 

0 Kudos

I want to travel in the near future 2019 to accura Ghana.

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

@AmershiaW211904 That's an unusual choice. Why Ghana?

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

Uzbekistan.  A whirlwind of color than I hope to see for myself.

0 Kudos

I would like to go to Tennessee and Jeckyl Island
Contributor

I’d like to go to New Zealand and Australia.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

COSTA RICA, DOMINICIAN REPUBLIC, PORTUGAL

0 Kudos
Contributor

Seattle,WA
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

India
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would like to see the giant sequoias.

0 Kudos

New Orleans by river boat on the Mississippi from St Louis.

0 Kudos

The world

0 Kudos

Hawaii! Or Florida...
0 Kudos

this would be a great trip to take with our grandkids
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I would like to Travel to Healing Wells  Desert Springs, California.

So much so, That I am Preparing now Paying off my bills and

Saving money so i can go there to live in 5 years ( =

gv7852
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would most love to travel to Australia to see the unusual and beautiful animals they have.  They no longer allow any of their animals to be exported. They have the most unusual animals in the world and the few I have been privileged to see in a few U.S. zoos lead me to believe that this country must be on my bucket list! I have seen blue-tongued skinks from Australia, and koalas, but would love to see a platypus, an echidna, wombats, kangaroos and the famous dingos.  

C.C. Duline
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@Cee60 wrote:

I would most love to travel to Australia to see the unusual and beautiful animals they have.  They no longer allow any of their animals to be exported. They have the most unusual animals in the world and the few I have been privileged to see in a few U.S. zoos lead me to believe that this country must be on my bucket list! I have seen blue-tongued skinks from Australia, and koalas, but would love to see a platypus, an echidna, wombats, kangaroos and the famous dingos.  

We spent 3 1/2 months in Melbourne (and surrounding areas).  Visited Dandenongs, Great Ocean Drive, Mornington Peninsula, Grampions and saw koalas in the wild, dozens of kangaroos from the porch of our hotel room in the Grampions, sulfur crested cockatoos and beautiful Crimson Rosellas.  We were able to stay that long thanks to pet and house sitting.  We had to pay for the flight to get to Melbourne, but all our accommodations were free and since we were living in a home with a kitchen we cooked all our own meals which is a big savings.  The homeowners even let us use their car the entire time we were there.  We took the train several times a week into Melbourne City Center.  House and pet sitting is very popular throughout Australia; I just looked at the websites we subscribe to; there are hundreds of house sits in Australia including six months in Brisbane, one month in Melbourne and 6 weeks in Coffs Harbour. If you'd like to read how we got started doing this, we put together tips and ideas at:  traveltheworldpetsitting.com

Hope it works out for you and that you get to experience Australia.

0 Kudos

Tennessee is a Great State for Mountain Music.
0 Kudos

USA i could spend the rest of my life exploring this vast & diverse country that is my home. have traveled a little but, there is more to see & do than i could possibly have time to do all. it is an endless list of places that i have never seen!
Contributor

I would like to see Yellowstone park
0 Kudos

I would like to travel to Washington DC on June 4 through June 9th from Little Rock, AR.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would love to see all the National Parks.

0 Kudos
Contributor

the keyssouth florida

0 Kudos
Contributor

santa fe, new mexico
Kay
0 Kudos
Contributor

Although Paris is my favorite place to visit, I agree with you that there are some magnificent sites in America. I'd love to visit all the national parks, national monuments, national battlefields, and national historic sites.

0 Kudos