Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Conversationalist

Re: Where to enjoy vacations?

Message 1 of 17

For anyone who is a lighthouse lover, the entire Oregon coast is a treasure trove.  Every single inch of the Oregon coast will leave you gaping in wonder at its' awesome beauty.  Rugged, rocky terrain loaded with hiking trails for those so inclined, and surprisingly small crowds of tourists, even in the summer.  Pristine coves and beaches, massive driftwood, sea lions, a wonderful aquarium in Newport, a redwood forest on the Oregon/California state line... you can't traverse the Oregon coast without stopping at Haceda Head Lighthouse outside Florence.  If you can make your reservations months in advance, you can spend the night at the keeper's cottage there.  The view from the top of the lighthouse is majestic.  Clam chowder a must.  Small, charming seafood restaurants all along the coast.  Most beautiful place in America in my opinion.  Put it on your bucket list!

Report Inappropriate Content
Silver Conversationalist

Message 2 of 17

I'm not too interested in travel outside the U.S. but my amily and I love to go to Mt. Baker in Washington State, where we see no one unless we travel into  Bellingham to pick up any necessities. We rent a house for a week and we unplug the phones and just sit in a hot tub and explore the area. The other fun spot is the San Juan Islands and the Puget Sound also in Washington State. We also had a blast when we went to Whistler Canada for a week and stayed in a time share. So gorgeous there and saw them setting up and building courses for the 2010 Olympics! Sorry, i had more than 1 unforgettable vacation.

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 17

The most awesome vacation was doing the Rhine River in Germany on the Viking Cruise Line. The castles, the wineries, the brewery!!❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 17
  1. I just got back from a five day,  western Carribean  cruise, ocho Rios,  Jamaica/ grand Cayman.  Is breathtakingly beautiful! 
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 17

Often I have shared great advice that I once received: If you want to see Hawaii, do it on a cruise. I flew to Honolulu a few days early in order to visit the city and was able to rent a studio apartment three blocks from Waikiki Beach for just $50 a night. Norwegian Cruise Line left Honolulu on a Sunday afternoon and returned the following Sunday morning early enough for me to catch a flight back to the states the same day. During the seven day cruise, we visited five different islands, and the excursions I chose took us to live vocanoes, pineapple and macadamia farms, and breath taking sceanary in state and national parks. It was the most enjoyable and most memorable vacation I have ever taken.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 17

Well, the question was different in the e-mail I received from AARP - that asked "What was your most unforgettable vacation in the U.S.?" - as opposed to "Where to enjoy vacations."

My most unforgettable vacation WAS partly because of where. It was to Disneyworld in the mid-1990s. My whole family is comprised of "Disney freaks," so it was always a dreamed-of destination. BUT, what truly made it the most unforgettable is that my mother, younger sister, and I went there over Halloween about 6 months after my mother had finished her treatment for lung cancer! She was in her 60s and my sister and I were in our 30s/40s. No kids, just three silly adults who hit the parks with childlike wonder and excitement. We had a BALL!

When my mother was diagnosed, she and her doctor (Mom was also a doctor) figured she had about 3 months. Turns out she lived another 14 years. Yay! But, when looking at a very short survival, her only regret was that she had never gone to Disneyworld! We grew up in Seattle and had gone to Disneyland many times, but never got all the way to Orlando. When my sister was scheduled for a work conference down there in late October, she said, let's go! The three of us were the only ones who could get away, so trio it was. We've been there many times since, in various family and friend combinations (my mother managed to get there 4 more times, enjoying it with all her grandkids), but  that first trip was magical! Mom was still alive, when she shouldn't have been, and all three of us were viewing life with renewed excitement and gratitude! BEST TRIP EVER!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 17

When I finally learned to drive I was 47.  That summer I took a solo road trip across the United States, southern route out, northern route back, 10 weeks, 15000 miles.  It was the best vacation ever!

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 17

The drive beginning at Front Royal, VA, down Skyline Drive to the Blue Ridge Mtn Pkwy, down to the Smoky Mtn ending in Cherokee, NC. is totally awesome!  Beautiful in late spring and fall.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 17

My favorite vacation was when I joined my husband and a backpacking buddy of his when they went to the Grand Canyon.  I didn't want to sleep in a tent and hike with them every day, so I checked into a hotel while they went off for the week.  Every day the rangers had short hikes where we learned about the different things nature had to offer in that area.  The plant nursery was looking for volunteers, so I volunteered to work in the greenhouse and outside in the gardens for several days, where I learned about the plants that grow in the Grand Canyon.  There were lectures in the evening where we learned about the nocturnal life and animals who came out after dark (and learned when to head indoors when we saw certain ones!)  In my spare time I worked on quilt in the hotel room.  I think I had a better time than my husband did on that trip.  I got in plenty of hiking, climbing, and learning all at once. 

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 17

As a photographer, I've been traveling full time for over a decade now. I'll just mention some of my favorite North American places.

- Maine is my favorite eastern state, with Portland as my favorite City. (I've spent whole summers in Maine). Be sure and take the ferry ride out to the numerous islands. Portsmouth NH is close and also a city with lots to see.

- If you're ever in the Albuquerque area, be sure to go to Petroglyph National Monument. Most people have no clue about Rock Art, but this Park will dazzle you. Careful, you might end up obsessed like me.

- Galveston TX is a popular spot. But most people stay on the North side of the Island, the 'Seawall' side. Try staying in the Harbor, watching all the activity of the ships (including cruise ships) going in and out.

- I've been on every mile of all the American Coasts. Nothing like the West Coast between Santa Barbara and the Puget Sound.

- The Florida Keys should be on your Must Do list.

- Everyone goes to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. For an adventure, with a good clearance vehicle, try Kanab Pt on the North Rim. Huge Kanab Canyon meets its Mom!

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.