Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What was your most memorable trip?

Message 11 of 19

My most memorable trip was in 2013. We went from coast to coast on a motorcycle. We stayed off the main freeways Never made plans more than a day in advance, that way if something sounded interesting we could detour and see it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What was your most memorable trip? Greek Isles

Message 12 of 19

I was very fortunate to accomplish 2 firsts this year:  First trip to Europe (Greece) and first cruise (Greek Isle).

At age 70 without an adventourous  travel companion, I thought I would never do either of these.  Fortunately my grandson's choir was doing this trip and I went along.

While the ruins and remnants of ancient culture are amazing in Athens, the Aegean Sea cruise to the islands was amazing. All I can say is it's exactly as pictured with beautiful white buildings, blue sea and mountains. Wonderful food, great tour directors and staff on ship. Spent 4 days on the cruise with visits to Mykonos, Santorini, Crete and others including a brief stop in Turkey.

Amazing trip. Hope I can do more.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 19

Hi @LydiaN586309,

I just arrived in Rapid City, SD, yesterday and will be here this week. What all do you recommend seeing/doing here? What were your favorite things? Any restaurants or off-the-beaten-path places I should check out?

Thanks,

Vicki 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 19

My most memorable trip was to the Dakotas; specially the Badlands and Mount Rushmore.  In one word--beautiful!

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 19

Well, this is probably going to be boring to many, especially with so many foreign travels, but was honestly the best "trip" I ever was part of...

In the mid-70s, a bunch of us "hippies" decided to go from KC to TX for Joe Cocker concert, in the absolutely most broken van, with little cash but of course other valuables...

I swear, once crossing the Texas state line, quarter-size rain pummelled us for hours.

When that stopped, we pulled into a rest area (this was the 70s and rest areas were 2 pots and nothing else), rolled out the sleeping bags and crashed.

Two minutes later, quarter-size mosquitoes visited; apparently they do grow everything bigger in Texas.

Arriving in Austin (or wherever) I think, we enter the concert, and honestly, it was amazing; Joe even slipped very nicely to the floor and sang lying down on the stage!

I think back now on the beauty of our freedom to be then and am amazed... we enjoyed everyone, no matter ethnicity (not a word used then), age, orientation nor politics.

Can't give a clue to the return trip; just know I'm still here to describe it 50+ years later so we made it!

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 19

well, where to begin... I was very fortunate to have been stationed in Isreal for 15 months... Spent the weekend at the site of Mt. Mossada ... Actually ran to the top with fellow marines from the American Embassy in Tel Aviv.... The whole time there was an adventure in it self and would love to go back... the history and culture is absolutly incredible.. Thank You Sgt. Matthew Flynn USMC Msg Bttn. Quantico Virginia....

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Latin American rainforests were most memorable trips

Message 17 of 19

The Rainforests of Latin America have been among my most memorable trips because they present and preserve the greatest variety of wildlife and natural beauty.  They represent the "lungs of the planet" that keep our atmosphere more breatheable than would be the case in their absence. 

See them before it is too late!  Climate change is driving extended periods of draught and shifting rainfall patters causing faster drying and greater susceptibility to natural fires & first set by those who would illegally clear the land for economic development.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 19

Good evening to all-

I don't know if this trip was my most memorable, but it was pretty nice.

Greer, Arizona is a tiny end of the road village in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona.  It's a long way, in every sense of the word from Phoenix, Tucson, and the tourist covered places like the Grand Canyon. Greer is about 4 hours from Phoenix, and it is totally different from Phoenix and even Tucson.

This little village has a few lodges and a small motel- the Lazy Trout- affordable, basic, and clean.  there are no gas stations in Greer- that's how small it is.

But, sitting at 8500 feet and in the valley of the Little Colorado River, Greer is a great place for people who don't need a lot of entertainment but who like fresh, clean air, big trees of many kinds, lots and lots of wildlife, and some pretty decent fishing. In the winter, there are some good ski lodges quite close, but I can't comment on them- I don't ski.

It's not at all uncommon to see elk walk across the one road and come up into the parking lot of the Lazy Trout and graze on the grass there. Expect to see elk, deer, and on the open prairies pronghorn antelope and even bighorn sheep- they're all there.

So, if you like theme parks flashing lights, and lots of people, don't go to Greer. You won't like it. But if you enjoy great hikes, and some gorgeous scenery and wildflife, you might want to put this on your list.

Ed

good evening to all- Ed

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What was your most memorable trip?

Message 19 of 19

What vacation or getaway has been your all-time favorite or that you will never forget? Why? What happened? Where did you go? Have photos to share?

Kudos
Views
Replies