Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite regional food in the U.S.?

Message 41 of 48

Tony Packo’s in Toledo, Ohio has been serving authentic Hungarian food since 1932. Jamie Farr who played “Maxwell Klinger” in the TV series M*A*S*H gave Tony Packo’s Cafe worldwide fame when he often boasted and craved about Packo’s having the greatest Hungarian hot dogs. They are made from a special recipe using a flavorful Hungarian sausage and they are delicious.

At the other end of the state in Cincinnati, Ohio is home to Skyline Chili. It was founded by Nicholas Lambrinides a Greek immigrant in 1949. Skyline chili is not like your typical chili con carne. It is usually served over spaghetti with a unique appealing secret sauce that I think has a hint of cinnamon added to it. You can top it with cheese or onions. Delicious!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 48

Jersey tomatoes. There's nothing quite like them anywhere in the country. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 48

What's your favorite regional food in the U.S.?

ANY MEAL in NEW YORK city.

Go into a Pub anywhere in the city.  It is the best "pub food" in the country.

Go into a Chinese resturant in the city.  It will give you the best, chinese, you ever had.  Ditto every ethnic category, Italian, ( Mama Leone's), Greek, ( any resturant named Zorba's),  Ethiopian,  Mexican, you name it.

It is all created by people from the source country, who use the freshest ingrediants avaliable in the world.

I Love "NewYork" FOOD. 

Sincerely Glenn D Anderson

Who lives close enough to the city to appreciate the gift.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 48

@MaryW296161 Gotta admit--I'm a Chicago deep-dish pizza fan. I love NYC, but for pizza--Chicago's the yummiest.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 48

New York pizza for sure. No where else makes it as well except Italy and ours is so different from theirs. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 48
I would have to say one of my favorite regional foods are Philadelphia Steak and Cheese sandwiches. Although you can purchase them in other locations, they often taste the best from the City of Brotherly Love. A close runner up would be Maryland blue crabs!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 48

I visited New Orleans in the springtime. If you are ever in the Big Easy, be sure to try a Beignet. Yum!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What's your favorite regional food in the U.S.?

Message 48 of 48

Do you have a favorite dish/regional specialty that's served only/primarily in one part of the country? What is it and where would we find it?

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season