From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite country?

Message 11 of 20

Thanks, I have no doubt that it’s beautiful, I just wonder how different it would be from where I’ve already traveled.  I’ve been to  Lake Como, Dolomite, (most of Italy) Bavaria and Austria... oh and Poland mountains too.  My reading makes it seem like northern Italy is similar... we loved it but wondering where our money is best spent.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 20

@sd67066912 I really liked Switzerland. It's a beautiful country with the mountain landscape. I was in Bern, Luzern, Lausanne, and Geneva briefly. It's been a while, though, and I'd like to go back someday before long. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20

Did you go to Switzerland?  I also love the Cotswolds and I’ve been to the Dolomites and Bavaria, so I’m wondering if Switzerland would be worth the expense.  I’d love your opinion.

Thanks

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20

My favorite country is Iceland!  My father was in the military, and we had the pleasure of being stationed there for three years when I was a teenager.  That was the most awesome experience of my life!  Due to the popularity of the show "Game of Thrones", tourism to Iceland has exploded, but back in the day when I lived there, almost no one came to Iceland.  I've been saving for a long time for a trip back, and hope to be able to do that next year.  Not only will it be nostalgic for me, but I look forward to once again being able to see some of the awesomely beautiful places we saw when we lived there. That's been #1 on my Bucket List for many years..... 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20

We were missionaries in Zimbabwe, and it is an amazingly beautiful place. We have been to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Tahiti, Tonga, the Canary Islands and the Mexican Riviera, but our most favorite place was Aruba. They call it "The Happy Island". It is not in the Hurricaine corridor, its daily temperature is in the mid-80's, 84-88 degrees year round, with beautiful breezes. The island is only 20miles long by 7 miles wide - beautiful beaches within a very short distance from where ever you stay. The water is so clear and blue ! The people are super friendly and welcoming and helpful. The FOOD is amazing !! And the exchange rate and prices are great ! Everyone we encountered spoke english. And they make a local beer call Balashi beer that is SO light and crisp !! It just makes every wonderful day that much better !! They are a constituent country of the Netherlands (Dutch origins) and there are beautiful building that reflect the architecture of that heritage on the island. They cook their french fries a "dutch"way, we were told. They are partically cooked then frozen then they fry them the rest of the way before serving them !! This makes them crispy on the outside and fluffy with maximum potatoe taste on the inside !! I would go back just for the french fries and Balashi !! But everything about Aruba is wonderful !!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 20

I have never been to a country I didn't like. My favorites have been changing frequently as I visit new countries. But that may stop now. I love Colombia - especially Medellin. Colombia is very diverse geographically. It has Caribbean beaches in historic cities, a Pacific coast that's relatively undeveloped (and is not a featured tourist area), mountains, rain forests and more. No glaciers, though! And Medellin is simply amazing. Around the turn of the dentury, most people avoided it. But Pablo Escobar has been dead since that time, and this city has taken full advantage of that fact. It's a beautiful, modern city about the size of Chicago, and it has all the amenities of a first-world city of that size. However, its climate is unmatched by any other large city. The mean temperature varies only 1 degree all year, so the mean is always about 72F. That's why Medellin is known as "The City of Eternal Spring." It lacks nothing for food, shopping, and entertainment (unless you're a serious baseball fan, and that will come). I was there for about 10 days a while ago. I ate as much as I do at home, but I lost 9 pounds. The food is much closer to organic than it is in the U.S. I could go on a lot more, but I'll leave it to you to check out how this city does with things that interest you.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 20

Visited Australia in '88. Bought a '76 Holden Panel Van and circumnavigated the continent - driving over 10,000 kilometers in 2 months. Visited all the states and territories - including flying to Tasmania for a few days. Used a mini tape recorder to document the entire trip. Stayed in many Youth Hostels and gave lots of folks rides. Put bed in the back of van for staying in the Outback - or anyhwere else I wanted to. Climbed Uluru, dived the Barrier Reef, visited Brisbane's World Fair, crossed the Nullabar, descending into both opal & gold mines, visited: rodeo in Katherine, horse races in Adelaide, fire tower tree in Perth, dairy farm outside of Melbourne, the Snowy mountains, Kakadu park, opera house in Sydney, etc., etc. etc. Terrific trip - visited lots of Aussies I had met in Greece and Atlanta. Even sold the car back, so I had money at the end of the vacation - go figure.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20

I like the UK --- England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland. I travel to a different part of the UK every year for several weeks. I combine hiking in scenic areas with walking through interesting villages and cities, mostly to look at the architecture. There is a great deal of hiking on (mostly) well marked trails and British terrain is pretty tame. So, there are not great elevation gains and the trails can be done even if you're not in the best physical shape.

Public trans is available almost everywhere which makes it easy to get to various trails or to take a long trail and get on a bus/train back to where you might be staying. Because everyone speaks English (although some areas are somewhat unintelligible), you can get around easily with no stress.

I enjoy going to countries where we share common language and history rather than something more 'exotic'. 

My favorite areas would be the Cotswolds and the Lake District. Lots of good walks, stone cottages with thatched or slate roofs, beautiful gardens, rolling terrain and easy to get around on public trans.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 20

I love traveling back to Vietnam as often as is possible. I am a Vietnam Veteran (Phu Bai 68/69). Traveling back in 2004 for the first time since my return 'back to the world' in 1969, I found the country virtually void of any animosity towards those that fought in the war. My last visit was this past February 2019 for the Vietnamese New Year (Tet). What a great time we (my wife and I) had. If you ever have the opportunity to travel there I highly recommend it. The many places to see, different foods to eat and enjoy are numerous. I especially enjoy sipping my coffee and eating a bowl of Pho in the early mornings at the many street side cafe's. Anyone interested in hearing more, please reply and I'll try and answer your concerns, including some travel tips, i.e., what to wear, customs, extras to bring along, etc. Thanks.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What's your favorite country?

Message 20 of 20

What's your favorite foreign country and why? When were you there, how long did you stay, where did you go, and what did you do?

Do you have any tips for when or where to go there and what to see or do? Any photos to share?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera