Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite U.S. state?

Message 1 of 20

I have to say, New York, the state I was born in and raised.  I've lived in a few other states, but am now back home, in Western NY.

I just love the huge diversity of geology, cultures, even weather!  I love the change of the seasons, I love that where I live, near Buffalo, is so close to a great urban center, yet also very close to rural areas.  You can be in the center of Buffalo, enjoying a wonderful city scene, great architecture,low rents and mortgages on some really great condos, apartments, and houses, a very pretty waterfront on Lake Erie with lots to do there, museums, shopping...and after a 20 minute drive, you're in farm country, looking at cows!

We have our pick of 3 lakes, Erie, Ontario, and Chautauqua, and either the lake plains along the two Great Lakes, or the rolling hills around Chautauqua.

South of Buffalo, there's skiing, golf courses, hunting.  The National Comedy Museum in Jamestown.  A bit east, there's Corning, with not only the wonderful glass museum, but a downtown full of boutiques and restaurants.

There's the Catskills, and the Adirondacks, Victorian houses in Saratoga, old row houses in Albany, and of course, there's New York City.

Ok, the taxes are high, maybe higher than they need to be, but compared to states I've lived in with lower taxes...lets just say, NY's education system is 2nd to none.  You get what you pay for!  

As for the weather, we always know when a blizzard is coming, and we prepare accordingly, and in good time.  You leave early for work

or school, you wear layers, you stash a blanket and some energy bars in the car, you make sure your cell phone s charged.

We don't get that many tornadoes-the ones we get, midwesterners would laugh at and call windstorms.  We don't get many earthquakes, and the ones we get, are tremors, that we all talk about for a few days, then laugh about, and forget. 

I love watching the leaves change, and sharing with friends, where the prettiest ones are, any given week in October. I love the fall of the first snow, and in January, looking out at everything covered in white, and watching my dog shoving his nose under, flinging his head up with to throw snow into the air.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

I've lived in California, Texas, North Carolina and back here in California. But I've visited all fifty states. And my favorite without a doubt is my home state of California. We have everything here, majestic mountains, fertile valleys, mysterious deserts and beautiful beaches. There's no other like the Golden State. Smiley Happy 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

Rhode Island, I lived there for three years in the village of Wickford. Hated to leave. All the things I liked:  the ocean, Narragansett Bay, Jamestown island and lighthouse, great seafood, bridge to Newport, Newport, Providence, close to Boston and New York City, Block Island, close to Cape Cod, nice seasons, Brown and URI.......a small state with so much to do.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

Virginia.  It has lots of AMERICAN History and beautiful scenery.  Despite some political turmoil, the population seems pretty normal.  Actually, just about any state besides ultra-liberal Taxifornia.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

COLORADO...I lived there 5 years and enjoyed every square mile of it (it seems like) but for this Texas native, I almost transplanted myself in the Golden and Boulder areas; I definately would recommend this beautiful state to anyone planning a vacation or looking for somewhere to live!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

Idaho - It's so beautiful and the weather is awesome! Even in the winter!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

Montana, lived there for 15 years . Beautiful state with mountains and prairies. Amber waves of grain can be seen everywhere. Great people and plenty of Wildlife to see

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

New Jersey

Message 8 of 20

Grew up here, lived here all my life. Everything within minutes drive. I have lots of family and friends here. 4 seasons.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

Alaska! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

For the reason that it is my home state, I have to pick New Jersey. It had adequate parkland, many streams and lakes, the shore, excellent schools and access to the many attractions of both New York City and Philadelphia within easy travel times without the necessity of living in the city. The northwest (where I lived) and southeast sections were mostly open and rural. Unfortunately, most out-of-staters views were of the large road between New York and Philadelphia which runs from northeast to southwest and vice-versa, depending on which way you're traveling.I had a good paying and interesting job and a satisfying life until retirement. I would still be there except my family is, and always was, a small one, and the only child I have left was living in Florida. I now reside in Florida, but I still miss "Home" and try to go back as often as I can. I have traveled in my lifetime extensively throughout the USA and much of the world; New Jersey will always be home and my favorite.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors