Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What movies have motivated you to travel?

Message 31 of 38

"...What is it about travel that makes us feel so alive?  I like to surround myself with travel momentos to keep my spirit of adventure healthy....".

Ok. I'm going off topic now. People have very different ideas on why they like travel.  Some want to experience other cultures, some for history, some for something as 'exotic' as possible, some to sit on a beach sipping drinks with little umbrellas in them, some because as yourself, see a film with scenery that 'speaks' to you.

DW and I primarily do mountain hiking, and that provides a 'spiritual' experience for us. Epster understands that, but she can speak for herself.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 38

Thanks for the kudos, retiredtraveler!  Try this next one on for size:  Under the Tuscan Sun ('03) based on the book by Frances Mayes and starring Diane Lane.  Just had to see Positano, Italy for myself.  And, you guessed it... I bought a painting there, too.  What is it about travel that makes us feel so alive?  I like to surround myself with travel momentos to keep my spirit of adventure healthy.Posi 2.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 38

@TNTMOM wrote:
Where in the world is this magnificent place?

Right in our (collectively) backyard (or is it the front yard?). That is the Prince of Wales hotel in Waterton Lakes, Alberta, Canada. That is the Canadian side of Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park. Most people just call it Glacier National Park, on the Montana/Alberta border. 

It's my favorite national park. Unfortunately, unless climate change stops getting warmer, there may not be any glaciers left in 20 years.

And yes, it really does look like that. The town of Waterton is just below the hotel, so it's not in the 'middle of nowhere', even though the picture makes it look like that. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 38
Where in the world is this magnificent place?
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 38

It wasn't a film for me. It was a National Geographic article showing this. Went the next year.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 38

The Wings of the Dove ('97) based on Henry James novel.  Drop dead gorgeous/romantic scenes of Venice inspired me to experience this jewel of a location myself... & all by myself!  Did not "buy the T-shirt" but a canvas painting from a street vendor instead.  Now framed in my living room, reminding me everyday of the magic of travel & its glorious impact on my life.                              Venice cropped.jpgtouchstone from Venice

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 38

1988's Mystic Pizza.  Smiley Happy 

I went to Mystic in 2015, finally, and ate at the famous pizza parlor.  

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What movies have motivated you to travel?

Message 38 of 38

We know that AARP members love movies…and love to travel. Have you ever felt compelled to travel to a specific destination after seeing it featured in a movie? Think “Sound of Music” (Austria), “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” (Devils Tower National Monument, Wyoming), or “Midnight in Paris” (Paris, France).

What movies have motivated you to travel to a specific destination? Share by posting below!

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users