Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize. Nominations close March 31!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What is your favorite Caribbean island?

Message 1 of 12

I lived in Puerto Rico when I was young and loved it but they are still recovering as is St. John.  So much damage from the hurricanes.

I recently visited Aruba and loved it.  We went in June and we had the place to ourselves!  I am told after July they are much busier.

We loved the jeep tour with stops at the ostrich farm, donkey sanctuary, caves, and baby beach.  The catamaran tour with stops at the Antilles ship, and two more snorkeling spots was wonderful.

DePalm island was not for us.  I think families with children would enjoy the all inclusive food/drinks and the water park, zip line, etc.  It was too crowded for our tastes.

Next we are considering Turks & Caicos, Caymans, etc...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

We don't live very far from Cuba.  Where did you stay?

Inquiring minds want to know (my husband and I).

Many thanks,

Carrie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

image.pngL-R BFF Dave, Huz Bobby, and Carrie (me) at Drunken Clam on Waterfront -- Mother's Day 2018image.pngBrewers Bay @ UVIimage.pngCarrie (me) at Brewersimage.pngWaiting for the Safari to take me to my SBA Emerging Leaders Mini-MBA being held at Banco Popularimage.pngTwilight from our VerandaSt. Thomas, USVI, which is our home and ultimate retirement home.

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

sosuabeach.jpg

The Dominican Republic, specially the North Coast. A photo says it all!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

Cuba    It was very nice.  The food was excellent! We stayed in a hotel in Havana that more oppulent than anything I have seen in the USA.  Went to a cigar factory, very fascinating.  The people in Cuba are very hard working and do not have much of anything for themselves.  It is a beautiful island.  The entertainment at the CoCo Ca Bana was astonishing,  the whole club was astonishing.  Rum was very good and slightly different than the other islands.  The old car were great.  They do not allow pandering so we were not bothered by anyone for money.  Highly recommend everyone to visit.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

My husband visited Providentiales in the Turks and Caicos three times when some friends spent the first decade of their retirement there. Grace Bay Beach is the most gorgeous beach I’ve ever seen. You can snorkel coral reefs from shore—no need to go out on a boat. The variety of sea life is incredible!  The food is excellent. Be sure to try conch fritters. There is not much touristy stuff to do there—a conch farm, the ruins of a 17th century plantation, and overpriced tourist shopping. But if you want sun, sand, and sea for R & R, it’s a fantastic place to visit. They use the American dollar as their currency but drive on the left. I highly recommend renting a guest apartment from an ex-pat. You’ll need a car for their mostly nonpaved roads, but the little spots you find will be so well worth it!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

I have cruised to the Carribean 7 times on Holland American cruises.  My favorite destination was St, Thomas: the people are so nice and helpful. Yhere are wonderful buys on gold jewelry and the aquarium is not to be misssed.  I have stayed at Freeport in Grand Bahama island with a friend from college, we had a wonderful time and her friends and parents took me to see all of the "tourist" destinations and then to all of the "local" places.  One of my favorite memories is going to the Princess Hotel for Sunday brunch with a fashion show at the same time.  Several years ago we surprised my mother for her 80th birthday gift, my 5 brothers and sisters and my dad went on 4 day cruise to Nassau.When we were young we had a motor home called the Cranky Yankee, as a surprise my sister in law had shirts made for us printed "Cranky Yankee Reunion".  We all wore them to dinner one night and guests were constantly coming up to us and asking what it meant.  It was the first time we traveled without spouses and children and went as "the 8 of us" in over 40 years and we all enjoyed every moment

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

Curacao --- It is a wonderful mixture of Latin & European cultures.  This island is truly a microcosm of the world with so many races, religions & cultures intermixed!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

I have been blessed---when younger, went with my dad and his brother to Cuba 2-3 times--they owned a 30 acre grapefuit farm on what was then called the Isle de Pinos,  and we all loved the fishing there too.  Years later I had the opportunity to move to and work in San Juan, Puerto Rico for  an ad agency there for 3 years. When a sr. in high school, my sr. trip was to Mexico...all three trips have endless memories of people and places that I love to this day.  Despite the problems each counry has had, they remain wonderful places, with wonderful people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

We visited Cozumel, QRoo, MX the 1st time in 1989 and every year after that, except for 1 yr. In 2001 we bought a home in Cozumel. Since we retired, we spend 6 mos in Cozumel and 6 mos in Chicago. Cozumel is a beautiful island with many activities. Americans + Canadians are flocking to MX for retirement. IMO, Mexico is retirement heaven.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users