Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Travel in Africa

Message 11 of 16

I liked being in a place that felt like a completely different world. You described it well. Of course the pyramids were amazing to see in person. And the cruise on the Nile was a peaceful departure from chaotic Cairo. Africa definitely has its charms.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

So much to love. I liked the ancient ruins and the Egyptian museums, but I liked hanging  out with Egyptians more. Small restaurants. Khan el Khalili. And bookstores. I hit bookstores wherever I go. The bookstore at American University of Cairo was cool, and the local little bookshop Diwan was nice too. 

I bought a handmade tawlah (backgammon) board at Khan el Khalili square. 

I sailed on a felucca on the Nile.

I visited friends out in the country side. 

I hated the traffic and the smog. But I loved the cab drivers. They either had a Quran on the fuzzy dashboard or a picture of Jesus. The Christians often have crosses tattooed on their hands. And they were the ones serving alcohol most of the time. Still, they said Assalamu alaikum as a greeting. I loved the call to prayer, mostly in the mornings, when I heard it better. 

I didn’t the wild cats and dogs roaming the streets and caterwauling at night.

I loved all the noise and life and laughter and bargaining and bathroom attendants aand bowwabs and kids. Laundry hanging to dry from the windows of high rises. The French architecture. The Turkish. The Gamal Nasser era brutalist buildings. The chicken coops on tops of houses. The buckets on ropes for third floor families to drop to the delivery person for their items. Drinking Bebsi (Pepsi) and Shay (tea, with tons of sugar and the leaves at the bottom).  Our plane landed back in NY and we got into a pristine, quiet, air conditioned cab, and it felt like life here has just been sanitized into nothing. And that was NYC! Lol

I want want to go to the new library in Alexandria someday.

What about you? 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

I was in Cairo many years ago visiting a friend who lived there. It was a wonderful experience for me too. It was great having a "local" show me around. I was able to understand the city better than I would have on my own. I'm sure it's changed much since I was there--except for the pyramids and the sphinx. What was your favorite part of Cairo?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

Only. Cairo, but it was a wonderful experience..

087618FD-86D0-4D35-9188-59BF1A1E66ED.pngA family fishing boat on the Nile

AD3ABAC4-4377-4BF6-8DF2-C83D9773881B.jpegKhufu ship at Giza

260988A8-E2E7-419B-83D5-3BE3DE72A505.jpegSphinx

E537811A-8619-4AC0-9A63-FAB6AE2E7DA5.jpegMosque of Muhammad Ali

323EE196-1B95-49CB-8937-63AAE7C8BF65.jpegCity Stars Mall

52D1C502-DDFB-4CCB-895E-0A7281D924AD.jpegPyramid of Menkaure

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

Yesterday I arrived in my 90th country--Lesotho, in southern Africa. It's part of a 6-week trip in southern Africa, a part of the world new to me. I'm amazed by the varied, colorful, mountainous landscape and the friendly people. A great place to celebrate Africa Day.P1010269.JPGLandscape in the north of the countryP1010279.JPGTraditional Lesotho homes

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Travel in Africa

Message 16 of 16

Yesterday was Africa Day--an annual commemoration of the foundation of the Organization of African Unity on 25 May 1963. It is celebrated in various countries on the African continent, as well as around the world.

Who has been to Africa? Where did you go and what did you do? What is your favorite thing about Africa? Do you have any photos to share?

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users