Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize. Nominations close March 31!

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Travel in Africa

Message 1 of 16

@ManicProgressive The flight was 15 hours direct from NYC to Johannesburg. I flew back via Dubai, so that was even longer (8 hours from Joburg to Dubai)--I was in transit from the time I left where I was staying in Joburg to when I finally arrived home in Florida (including layovers, 1 1/2-hour shuttle bus home that was an hour late) exactly 48 hours! Ugh--my longest time in transit ever. You can also get flights that connect through Europe (Frankfort, and somewhere else) if you want to break up the long flight.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

Those pics are amazing!   I guess I'm going to have to get my act together.  The next time we visit the middle east (family), I need to extend the trip into southern Africa somewhere.  How long is that flight, though?  Smiley Surprised

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

@VoyagerVicki What is the difference between the Rothschild, Reticulated, and Masai giraffes?

The markings on giraffes are different.  The Masai have a yellowish body with spots that resemble dark oak leaves. Reticulated giraffe’s have a pattern shaped like reddish brown polygons separated with a network of thin white lines. The Rothschild have blotchy rounded brown markings that don’t extend down their legs. Enlarge the pictures I included in my first post and you’ll see the difference.

Because they are native to Kenya we saw a lot of Masai and Reticulated giraffes on safari. I don’t believe we ever saw any Rothschild giraffe’s outside of a sanctuary because I can’t find where I took any pictures of them other than at the sanctuary.  The only other thing I can remember right now is the Masai were maybe 2-3 feet taller than the reticulate and of course all giraffes have that long purple tongue.

Even the Zebra's and other mammals and birds have different stripes and spots that distinguish them differently even though they may appear to all look alike.

Africa was amazing with amazing memories.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

@ReTiReD51 I'll definitely keep the Giraffe Centre in mind for if/when I visit Kenya. Love all the giraffe photos! I'm not that familiar with types of giraffes. What is the difference between the Rothschild, Reticulated, and Masai giraffes?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

DSC_0326 (3) - Copy - Copy.JPGRothschild giraffeWe visited the “Giraffe Centre” https://giraffecenter.org/  located outside of Nairobi. It’s a charitable giraffe sanctuary and environmental education center. They house a large herd of Rothschild Giraffe’s which were very interactive with the visitors as you can see. The Giraffe Manor you mention also houses Rothschild giraffe’s.

Kenya also is home to the Reticulated and Masai giraffe’s.DSC_0784.JPGReticulated giraffe

We would definitely like to visit Africa again. Probably South Africa and the Victoria Falls area where you were at. However we have nothing planned for the near future so it may be several years before we do visit.DSC02908 (2) - Copy.JPGMasai giraffe

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

@ReTiReD51 Your Kenya trip sounds like it was quite the adventure! Several national parks, a hot air balloon ride, a white rhino, as well as armed guards and military presence (I presume this was the same trip mentioned in your other post?). I now have a new-found love of Africa and am interested in Kenya--especially Giraffe Manor (I love giraffes). And, I definitely see exploring Ethiopia and Namibia sometime in the future as well as probably other African countries. Do you have any plans for more Africa travel? 

My trip wasn't really vacation or business. I work remotely, so I work full-time as I travel. As long as it's in a time zone that I can work 9-5 east coast hours and I have good wifi, it's not a problem. I can sightsee for part of the day then work the other part. So, for more distant destinations like this, I like to stay several weeks in the area.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

"Yesterday I arrived in my 90th country--Lesotho, in southern Africa. It's part of a 6-week trip in southern Africa, a part of the world new to me. I'm amazed by the varied, colorful, mountainous landscape and the friendly people. A great place to celebrate Africa Day." ...Voyager Vicki

Sounds and looks like South Africa is a must visit for everyone. Glad you had a great time.  I’m curious if it’s any of my business was your 6-week trip to South Africa a vacation or business? 6-weeks seems like a long time to spend on the road at least for us.  We spent 12 days in Kenya and could have went on and spent another 12 in Tanzania but decided against it because we didn’t know how good the accommodations were and at 65 I’m getting old and don’t want to stay gone too long from my easy chair so I can rest up for the next trip.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

About 2 years ago we flew to Nairobi, Kenya for 12 days. We visited and stayed in Nairobi National Park, Saba Saba, Aberdare National Park, Mt. Kenya National Park, Meru, Sambura National Park, Nyahururu and Mara .We weren’t expecting the best accommodations or lodging at any of the places we visited but to our surprise each of these places were very satisfactory to stay at.

In between our road trip from village to village we managed to get in 7 Safari days. Saw all kinds of wild life even a White rhino which is not native to Kenya. One of my highpoints was a 4 hour early morning Hot Air Balloon safari on the Maasai Mara plains. Food was good and we met lots of smiling Kenyans who were very helpful.  It’s a trip I’ll never forget. 

DSC_1137.JPGMaasai Mara plains

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

I'm in South Africa (Johannesburg) right now. These last 4 weeks have been my first time in sub-Saharan Africa and I love it! The people are wonderful and very friendly, the landscapes are varied and beautiful, and the sunsets, especially on safaris, are truly magical—colors you just don't see elsewhere.  

So far, I've visited South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland (both rural, mountainous, and traditional, but in different ways), Zimbabwe, and Zambia. I really loved the Victoria Falls area (on the border of Zim and Zam) for the waterfalls as well as the cultural opportunities. But, if I had to choose just one country, it would be South Africa because you have everything here. My three words to describe South Africa (the 3 Ws") are "wine, wildlife, and warmth"—warmth both for the weather as well as the people. I loved the wine tastings outside of Cape Town in Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Paarl, and Constantia; the wildlife I saw in Kruger National Park; and the people who are very friendly (and I don't usually comment about people in places I travel).

IMG_1089.JPGBlyde River Canyon in eastern South AfricaIMG_0546.JPGVineyards of Beau Constantia outside of Cape Town in western South AfricaP1010154.JPGSunset in Kruger National Park

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

@VoyagerVicki wrote:

I liked being in a place that felt like a completely different world. You described it well. Of course the pyramids were amazing to see in person. And the cruise on the Nile was a peaceful departure from chaotic Cairo. Africa definitely has its charms.

Yes, I love how different it is. When I went to Canada, o was like, “this isn’t a different country,” lol. 

What country  in sub-Saharan Africa would you recommend?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users