How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: TRAIN TRAVEL

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 6 (349 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...Train travel is (I hear) really great in Europe.  How would you compare it to the US?...". 

I can't honestly compare because the UK trains are not just commuter trains, they are carrying tourists all over the country. I do know they are running faster. Some of them, I've been on them, are going close to 100mph. I've not been on the true, high-speed models that approach 150mph.

The cars are mixed. Unlike the U.S., there are various rail companies and the quality of the cars is mixed. Kind of like our big-city services in the U.S. Some lines get the nice, shiny new cars and others still get the cars from the 60's. I've been on old and new. Some lines have a 'refreshment' car. Most have someone pushing a trolley through the cars selling food and beverages.

What gives me a chuckle every year is that some of the lines do not have automatic door openers. When at a station, someone in the vestibule has to open a window, put their hand out and open the door from the outside handle. I've had my turn doing this too.

Virgin trains are the best, and coming out with newer, sleaker, and faster trains.  

Wow  thank you.  It would be really interesting to see the difference in the various train lines.  I think the only thing I could compare that to are the small specialty train lines here that go to a specific tourist attraction like a winery etc.  Those are fun too.  My old boss has retired and he LOVES trains.  Has all kinds of items he has collected in his big yard.  He travels all over to see the old trains in these special lines.

Anyway, the European train experience sounds like fun.. not sure about the opening the door through the window (LOL) but I would love to see the variety.  Retirement is coming soon so there will be opportunity (hopefully).  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 6 (359 Views)

"...Train travel is (I hear) really great in Europe.  How would you compare it to the US?...". 

I can't honestly compare because the UK trains are not just commuter trains, they are carrying tourists all over the country. I do know they are running faster. Some of them, I've been on them, are going close to 100mph. I've not been on the true, high-speed models that approach 150mph.

The cars are mixed. Unlike the U.S., there are various rail companies and the quality of the cars is mixed. Kind of like our big-city services in the U.S. Some lines get the nice, shiny new cars and others still get the cars from the 60's. I've been on old and new. Some lines have a 'refreshment' car. Most have someone pushing a trolley through the cars selling food and beverages.

What gives me a chuckle every year is that some of the lines do not have automatic door openers. When at a station, someone in the vestibule has to open a window, put their hand out and open the door from the outside handle. I've had my turn doing this too.

Virgin trains are the best, and coming out with newer, sleaker, and faster trains.  

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 3 of 6 (371 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...Anyone still traveling by train?...".

Not in the U.S. Used to commute and hour-and-a-half when working downtown Chicago. I do take train out of London on annual trip to the UK.

However, we're looking at going to DC in the Spring, and will check out commuter train to Philly from their Union Station. Possibly use for another day trip.

I have never been a train commuter but an hour and a half is a long time  wow.. but not unusual for the big city commuters.  I have taken the trian from Cleveland to Chicago several times as you have to go to the hub of Chicago to catch trains going else where; out west down south etc.  Cleveland is not a train hub : <

Train travel is (I hear) really great in Europe.  How would you compare it to the US?  

I have taken the train from Cleveland to DC  and that was a busy station as well but yes it would make a good day trip.

Glad to see someone else takes trains.  There are still a few routes I have not taken that I would like to do esp the one that goes along the coast of California.  We have driven that on the old route 1 but the train would be fun!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6 (381 Views)

"...Anyone still traveling by train?...".

Not in the U.S. Used to commute and hour-and-a-half when working downtown Chicago. I do take train out of London on annual trip to the UK.

However, we're looking at going to DC in the Spring, and will check out commuter train to Philly from their Union Station. Possibly use for another day trip.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 5 of 6 (394 Views)

Leaving NYCLeaving NYC

TRAIN TRAVEL

Message 6 of 6 (395 Views)

I am sitting here this morning on the computer and in the distance I can hear the morning train heading into the downtown station.  Lots of people are surprised when I tell them that there is a train station in our downtown area.  It is not what you call magnificent like Grand Central or Union Station in Chicago or some of the beautiful old stations out west..  but rather a small kind of dingy building down by the tracks.  Actually years ago when I first told my dad we were taking a train, he thought we had to go and stand by the tracks to wait for the train : ).

Listening to that whistle makes me think of our upcoming trip to the city of NY.  It is my longest lasting and favorite regular trip and I love taking the train.  We have taken many train trips over the years and talked to so many people about their trips and the things they enjoy and the places they have been.  I realized this morning that there used to be a regular group of people that posted about train travel here but that ended some time ago.

Anyone still traveling by train?