With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Seeing the Signs by walking New York

Message 1 of 9

I remember the first time I visited NYC; everything was exciting and yes, as a newbie to this overcrowded city, I embraced everything; had to stay in Times Suare which turned out to be a nightmare because everytime we came out of our hotel, we were crushed into the hustle and bustle of Times Square with people shoving pamplets in my face - so many people on the streets on such small sidewalks.  I did everything anyone can think of to do in this city and yes, can't help but notice the signs as you walk around but by the third trip to NYC, the touristy feel of learning a new city had worn off - I have to say that NYC was on my bucket list (completed), I went, explored this city several times over but can now say this is one of my least favority cities to visit.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

Unfortunately NYC is not a cheap place to visit. I would look for deals on Hotwire.com, that is my go to for visiting cities when I don't care about the particular chain. The identify specific neighborhoods where they have hotels available and a general catagory based on # of Stars. when you book you find out the specific hotel. I will not endorse AirBnB in NYC because they have allowed landlords to hide vacant apartments and use them as hotels, which is illegal in the city.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

"...and I love NYC, been there only 3x, wish I could go more, however finding accomodations is always costly, any suggestions on where to stay thats abit more affordable...".

Long Island City. $20 taxi ride from LaGuardia, and within blocks of the MTA. I'm going to stay at a place relatively close to LaGuardia this time. Has airport shuttle, and shuttle to MTA bus and subway systems (they are about 1.5 miles away). So, makes it less convenient, but far less expensive than others. Also, could stay in Red Hook or any number of places in New Jersey where you could commute into downtown.

I'm one of those travelers who always stays outside the area I'm visiting, as long as I have easy public transportation to get into town. Many travelers just won't do that. For instance, I go to DC regularly and stay in College Park, Maryland. Walk to the metro 4 blocks away. It's at least 30% less to stay there than closer in to the action.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

Thanks for Sharing, love those signs!

and I love NYC, been there only 3x, wish I could go more, however finding accomodations is always costly, any suggestions on where to stay thats abit more affordable? I'm coming from Canada, and want to plan another trip to NYC and Washington D.C., last time I was in Washington, we didn't give ourselves enough time to tour all the smithsonians, need several visits to get through them all !  lol

thank you.

Toby from Edmonton

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

@JonathanL1961  My bad Jonathan.  By way of explanation, not excuse...your superb post was sandwiched in between political posts, one having to do WITH travel.  I took it as related to political. Sorry. I hope my comment didn't diminish the value of what you showed us.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

This is the Travel Forum - definitely NOT political

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

@JonathanL1961 wrote:

You can learn a lor by looking at the signs that adorn the streets of a city. Here is some of what I saw in my home town of New York - https://goo.gl/MqNeec

Nice photos.  Thank you.  I take it this is an apolitical post.  It does occur in the political forum.  That caused me to think it could have political meaning also.  If so I am obliged to point out the electoral college system gives people who live here less of a say in their future than those who live in the 'hinter-lands'.  No hype, just fact.  It worked for 'the donald' and now the consequenes begin.  RRR apoligists unashamedly pronounce, "THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE".  I take considerable issue with that. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

Nice pics!  I've always wanted to live there.    Smiley Happy 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Seeing the Signs by walking New York

Message 9 of 9

You can learn a lor by looking at the signs that adorn the streets of a city. Here is some of what I saw in my home town of New York - https://goo.gl/MqNeec

Kudos
Views
Replies