Take a look at how people age around the world with this AARP special report: A New Age.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Off-the-Beaten-Path Travel

Message 1 of 18

@gm5271 

Now that's what I'm talking about.  I'm sure most people visit Bald Head Island to see the lighthouse or sea turtles or the beaches, but you were on a quest to see a tree and MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.  Love the picture.  I clearly see the thrill of victory on your face!  Woman LOL

Speaking of trees, during the sesquicentennial of the Civil War, a like-minded friend (she is also my bushwhacking partner) and I went to the town of Orange, VA to watch a reenactment of a skirmish in the streets. Gen. R. Lee and his Confederate army retreated to Orange after Gettysburg and encamped for the winter.  After the skirmish, we decided to do the self-guiding walking tour of Orange (best way to see a town, walk it; see so much more and learn more than if you  just drive through).  Supposedly, the very tree Gen. Lee had tied his horse, Traveller, while attending services in church was still standing and if we found or saw nothing else, we were going to see that tree.  We found the church and sure enough, there it stood in all its glory -- Lee's TREE.  There was a small plaque identifying it.  One of the highlights of our Orange adventure.  Woman Wink

01-leetree-081812.jpgGen. R. E. Lee tied Traveller to this very tree when attending services in the church, part of which can be seen over the bush on the right, during the winter of !863-64,

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

@MsStretch 

Oh my MsStretch that's absolutely amazing

I constantly am blown away by the things many of us have in common on this community truly a blessing 

I too still stop & want to see those things 

While I lived on Oak Island for 2 years few years ago my kids came to visit I took us 7 on Ferry ride to visit Bald Head Island only accessible by boat or ferry and no cars allowed there Million$$ homes there & old Lighthouse but I wanted to see 300 year old Tree drove my youngest son crazy he was driving our golfcart trying to find it but find it we did and was so worth it to me My oldest took picture of me in hollow part after I checked for hornets 

I love nature and history 

Thanks for sharing made my day 

Ginger  : ) 

FB_IMG_1440859286117.jpgMe inside 300year tree bottom was over 8ft wide

"May your troubles be less....your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door" : )
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

@gm5271 wrote:

My oh my 💞

Thanks so much to all of you for sharing.... too many to recognize with @ but Thanks I loved reading your tales and the pictures just gorgeous 

Makes me feel like taking an excursion... though I kinda did with your stories I love the history and all WOW

As a child anytime we were traveling my parents and 2 brothers and sister I was oldest but I always made my dad pull off at every historical marker... lots in Texas... to read even though I called them hysterical markers Was great learning about it all... My parents loved pig trailing off beaten paths we'd find great wonders at times 

I so love GPS these days cause can just drive and go off anywhere no worries of getting lost ... just go along your own way finding and discovering all kinds of things 

Thanks again for sharing 

Y'all have lived some lovely adventures 

I had to laugh because like you Ginger, I was the oldest with one sister and two brothers and we grew up as Army brats.  Every weekend my father would take us on an adventure or excursion to some historic site or battlefield or other interesting locale and since we moved around a lot, we visited many cool places, in the States and overseas. My mother got tired of always going to forts and battlefields, but we kids loved it.

I often say I'm reliving my second childhood since I love exploring historical sites, and out-of-the-way places.  To this day, I will pull off if I see a historical marker or monument or abandoned building..

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

My oh my 💞

Thanks so much to all of you for sharing.... too many to recognize with @ but Thanks I loved reading your tales and the pictures just gorgeous 

Makes me feel like taking an excursion... though I kinda did with your stories I love the history and all WOW

As a child anytime we were traveling my parents and 2 brothers and sister I was oldest but I always made my dad pull off at every historical marker... lots in Texas... to read even though I called them hysterical markers Was great learning about it all... My parents loved pig trailing off beaten paths we'd find great wonders at times 

I so love GPS these days cause can just drive and go off anywhere no worries of getting lost ... just go along your own way finding and discovering all kinds of things 

Thanks again for sharing 

Y'all have lived some lovely adventures 

"May your troubles be less....your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door" : )
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

@TerryM939465 and @JoshuaM965487

I am mesmerized by your pictures and descriptions, especially Boswell Gulch, since forgotten, abandoned places from the past fascinate me.

One of my favorite winter activities is bushwhacking in Shenandoah NP.  SNP was home to hundreds of mountaineers in the Blue Ridge of VA before it became a national park.  All of the residents had to leave, either voluntarily relocated or forcibly evicted during the late '20s/early '30s.

Today, remnants of their homes, artifacts and over 100 cemeteries still exist within the Park's boundaries although Mother Nature has reclaimed her land and many of them are not easily accessible, the log walls and fences rotted away or claimed by forest fires, far off the trail and the beaten path.  Many require arduous treks through dense underbrush and up and down steep ridges.

Many times I have fought through skin-shredding, clothes-ripping greenbrier and scrambled over & crawled under fallen trees and boulders, huffed up steep ascents, slid down steep descents on my butt, and wondered, "And why do I like this?", but there is a certain awe in discovering a still-standing chimney deep in the woods, the rusted parts of an old woodstove or car, a plot of crudely inscribed fieldstones.  Places that have not seen visitors for years.  Like @TerryM939465 I imagine what life was like in what often appears as inhospitable, but beautiful surroundings. I always silently thank the residents of the old family cemeteries for allowing me to intrude.

I became fascinated with this part of SNP history when I worked at Skyland in the early 2000s and  almost 2 decades later, I still return every winter to further explore.  There are no maps or signs or guides to these places, so I rely on NPS land records, oral histories, old USGS maps, hand drawn maps and word-of-mouth from past 'explorers' and hikers, following old faint road traces, and a whole lotta luck.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

Hocking Hills, Ohio

We found out about this place through a pamphlet at AAA years ago.  Coincidentally my brother had already been there.  

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18

I went to Tonga, the Friendly Islands, which is the most beautiful place in the world!  The People are so friendly, if you treat them with utmost respect.

My husband was born there.

The food was out of this world, everything is fresh.  My father in law asked me if I would like steak and I said yes.  He took me to a government building where a cow was just butchered and asked me which part I would like. What? Well, I did ask for steak.

I was living on the main island, Tongatapu, and Tonga has 52 islands and governed by a King. Everything is shut down on Sunday except the bakery and churches, and the police station.  The bakery is for those that can't cook so it's a means to have food. You can't go swimming, either, it's against the Law on Sunday, it's a day of rest. You can get arrested and yes, tourists do. So, remember your in a foreign country and must obey their laws, not your own. 

They have a wonderful bus system as well. Most of the kids speak English because of school, so if your lost, just ask.

If your an explorer, just take The Kings Ferry, it's a beautiful ferry that goes to other islands and it's reasonable, cheaper than flying.  But, if you really want to go on an adventure, take a fishing boat, and tour the smaller islands and see coral and the bottom of the sea.  It's breathtaking!  

Tonga to me, is a place going back in time and never wanting to leave!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18

Dad’s family grew up there and they ran the grocery store mentioned in this story until it moved up to the main road between Louisville and Sandersville.  HUGE peach farm just outside of town, good pickin and eating!  Would have thought more people might be around since there is also a prison just outside of town!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

As soon as I saw this topic I thought of Davisboro, GA.  It doesn't even appear on some maps.

I was there many years ago for a Fourth of July Celebration at which a candidate for State Senator was going to speak.  My husband, as new kid on the block, was the one on duty at the TV station for the holiday.  It seemed a good outting for a news story and a way to spend the day.  There was no photographer available so I went to film.  I had only worked the camera once before.

It turned out to be one of those many towns in the country that was active in the days of the railroad, but was skipped by the freeway system.  The town Bar-b-que was held in what was once the town grocery store, but was long ago closed.  The windows were broken out but it provided cover in case of rain.  There was no rain and it was very hot, even though some fans had been set up.  I was glad to go back outside to eat under a nice tree.  From the sidewalk in front of the store I could see the deserted train track, the station covered in kudzu and the ruins of what had once been a factory of some kind.  It was the closest thing to a ghost town that I have ever seen.

There were about 50 adults there which I think were all the residents of the town, maybe the entire county.  I didn't count the children but they didn't out-number the adults.  The adults were super friendly and so impressed that there was going to be TV coverage.  That might have been a first for them.  Each one of them wanted to appear on camera and we managed to film most of them and didn't have the heart to tell them they would not appear in the finished news story.  I don't even remember who the candidate was but I certainly remember the people and the abudance of food we ate that day.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

A really cool place to visit when the weather isn't too hot is the China Ranch Date Farm (https://www.chinaranch.com/).  It is definiately off the beaten path, located near Tecopa, California in the Mojave Desert.  There is hiking, and of course the date farm - it's an oasis in the desert.  There is a store where you can purchase a variety of dates, the date cookies are bombalicious as well as the shakes..  I like to visit the nearby hotsprings, usually during the winter (https://www.delightshotspringsresort.com/en-us).  This too is off the beaten path, with amazing therapeutic mineral hotsprings, a small motel, cabins and an RV park - it's all rustic, and a great get-away for adults (no kids allowed at this location).  Tecopa Brewing Company is a recent addition to the area and provides a simple BBQ menu (https://www.facebook.com/TecopaBrewingCo).  This is a nice addition, since I remember when I had to pack a pic-nic and cooler when I would stay at the hotsprings..  Best time to go is October through March when the weather is cooler.. Enjoy!!

Kudos
Views