Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prices now! Here’s how. 

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Off-the-Beaten-Path Travel

Message 11 of 18

The Hoyt House in Staatsburg, New York located in the NY State Park of Norrie Point/Mills Mansion. The house was designed by famed architect Calvert Vaux in 1855 for the wealthy merchant Lydig Monson-Hoyt and his wife Geraldine Livingston. It was known as "The Point" and the designs for the house can be found in Vaux's book on cottages and villas. The Hoyt estate was designed as a wonderland of natural beauty where guests in their carriages were brought in through modest stone gates, over a wooden bridge, to then wind their way along a path through gardens and brooks to reach the house. In 1963 the land was taken by the state of New York citing eminent domain and the Hoyt family was forced to leave. Afterwards, the house and surrounding buildings began to decay. There is an initiative underway presently to save the house and restore it to its former beauty. 

The Hoyt House is spectacular even in ruin and so are the other buildings of the estate still standing. One may visit it either through the paths that run into the woods from Mills Mansion (also known as Staatsburgh) to the north or Norrie Point Park to the south. Staatsburg Village is accessible off US Route 9. If you go to Norrie Point Park, follow the road up from Old Post until you reach "the triangle" area where you can drive down to the river and the gazebo area. Park the car by the green wooden gate you'll see on your right and go down that path. At the fork in the path, after you've passed the magnificent ruin of a stone building on your left, go left. You can't miss it. It's a lovely walk any time of the year. Not handicapped accessible by any means but certainly doable if you walk with a cane as I often do. Highly recommended as is Mills Mansion. If you're in the area and like a walk with some history, this spot is for you. Hoyt House (3).JPGHoyt House, Staatsburg NY, Winterhoyt front.JPGHoyt House front, Staatsburg NY, SpringHoyt east side.JPGHoyt House, Staatsburg NY, from the easthoyt Good w soy.JPGHoyt House, Staatsburg NY

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

Unique?  Remote?  There are many paths in Lake County, Colorado that fit that discription.  Trails really.  The first that came to mind when reading this discussion was Boswell Gulch.  A truely magic place.  I hiked there, and the area surrounding several times.  I liked to imagine the people who toiled there over a hundred years ago.  Scraping and clawing a meger living from beneath and upon the ground.  Wrenching nuggets of precious metals from the rock and creek beds.  Bent on striking it rich.  Few ever did.  I try to imagine the smells, the sounds; the warmth of the summers.  And the bitter, bone chilling cold of the winters.  No one goes there now.  The over grown trail is intermittant.  Yet I am surrounded by what once was. DSCN0426 (1).JPGDSCN0428 (1).JPGDSCN0431 (1).JPGDSCN0424 (1).JPG

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

Darrien, GA

Within 15 minutes from I95. Great stopover if driving from/to FL.

Eat at Skippers Fry Camp right on the water. Great sunsets and fried alligator tails.

Stay at Dockside Inn or Darrien Waterfront BnB.

Dont miss the great wine bar in the back of wine store on Broad Street.

And the smallest Church in the US is nearby. An Englih fort, an old rice plantation  another historical house as well as an art gallery in an old jail grounds out a nice visit.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Domremy, France was my off-the-beaten-path travel. It is home to Joan of Arc and it has the 600-year-old house she lived in available tour. The area of France is called “La France Profonde” which in English means “The Deep France” and you better bring a French translation book with you. Joan of Arc is the patron saint of France and they built a massive Basilica in honor of her which is up on a hill overlooking the town of Domremy. I still think of this pilgrimage today and the unique experience I had with visiting this quiet little town in the rolling hills of France.Heart

Please note: The picture of Joan of Arc is a statue of her for her sightings and intervention at the Battle of the Marne in World War I. She is the patron saint of France and even Winston Churchill was so impressed with her he wrote a quote about her. But Domremy is totally unique and it was her childhood home. So she lives on in the hearts and minds of mankind to this day. 

"Joan was a being so uplifted from the ordinary run of mankind that she finds no equal in a thousand years."
Winston Churchill-Legendary British Prime Minister in WWII Basilica built for Joan of Arc after World War I because of intervention in the Battle of the Marne in 1914.JPGJoan of Arc statue dedicated to her intervention in the Battle of the Marne in World War I.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

gravity hill , bedford co. pa. is certainly unique,check it out on line. and if you get a chance to go there the 911 memorial (pa crash site) is close by. it's something you dont soon forget.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

One of the most unusual places I've visited is the Museum of Leprosy in Bergen, Norway! I had always considered Leprosy a tropical disease & was surprised that it has existed in parts of Scandinavia for generations. It was fascinating to read reports of early medical treatments & potential causes. This is a relatively small museum which is easily visited in a couple of hours.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

I can't really name any 'hidden gems'. We've not been anyplace that was really 'remote'. But, we're 'hard core' day hikers, so our trips mean getting on trails, mostly in national parks, that very few people get on due to difficulty of the hikes (8-10 miles total, 2000-3500 foot elevation gain/loss). 

So, in that sense, we're off the 'beaten path' and see sites up in the mountains that relatively few people experience.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Off-the-Beaten-Path Travel

Message 18 of 18

Where is the most unique or remote place that you've been? Perhaps you've traveled to some place that doesn't get many tourists or that most people don't know about. If so, how did you hear about it, and what made you decide to go? What did you think about it?

What "hidden gem" destination do you most want to visit in the future?

Kudos
Views
Replies