Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Motor home living

Message 1 of 11

Totally agree.  My friend and her husband do it every year but she says they have to start booking spaces at RV and campgrounds many months in advance.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

As far as I'm concerned and after reading this discussion, it's easier and cheaper to stay in hotels.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

Personally I have never traveled by motor home although the idea was very intriguing when I first retired.  But not so much anymore.  Have read alot about it and a friend of mine and her husband do it every year.  Seems like a lot of work and many things to do before even getting on the road.  After all the reading I have done about it, I found one of the best suggestions is to take an RV driving course before you go.  My roommate and I go on road trips every year renting an SUV usually.  Driving anything bigger would be a challenge to say the least.  But I know how much I enjoy seeing this big beautiful country and I have no doubt that those who go RVing are getting an experiance that most people only dream of.  Lots of luck to you on your adventures.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

We did this for several years, things learned:  Don't pack food, grocery stores are abundent, and its fun to try things out of their deli's that are local kinds of food.  Don't pack a hugh quanity of clothing, laundries are also abundant. Taste the water before you hook up to it, do hook up to the sewer and power.  Make a list of everything that needs to be done before the RV is moved, unhooked, vents down, steps up. check tire pressure, hook ups for tow vehicle, and the space around for forgotten items, yes you must gather the dog and his droppings. Don't forget the chemicals for potty, and biogradeable TP.  Sometimes you will want to stay in a hotel for night, especially if you have been on the road for several days to give you a sense of stillness. We always had a tow vehicle as some roads could not accomidate the RV and it was more convient for shopping and little excursions. There is a whole big wonderful world out there to explore.  Good Luck and Happy Trails.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

I have been looking into renting an RV when I retire to travel in.  Also, there is a company close by that will rent a camper/RV and set it up for you in a park for any length of time you choose. I am looking forward to trying it out.  I don't want to spend my retirement sitting at home or just staying a few days in a place I have been wanting to visit for years. I want to travel for months, not days, at a time. I live in an area where seasonal rentals are very much in demand so it would work out well for me.  I'm finding the posts very interesting and informative.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Motor home living

Message 6 of 11

WHAT ABOUT PEOPle living in an RV that is their only home? Tony tells me that in his neighborhood, there are these crappy looking RVs parked on dead end streets and under the freeway bridge full of smelly people who like to move trash around the block? I don't think they want to travel, unless they move to one area of the city to another.

Dose this count?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

My husband and I have been full-time RVers for about half a year now and we are loving it. We plan to go to all 49 states and at least the parts of Canada we will go through to get to Alaska. Here is one suggestion from us: If it is at all possible to "test" camp in your driveway for a month or so, try that. We had a long driveway in a rural area and were able to set up with full hook-ups. By camping out for a time before taking off, we were able to test if we liked our trailer's set up and if we would be okay with living together in such close quarters. It also helped us to decide what things we really needed and what we didn't. Before we left on our trip, we actually got rid of a lot of the things we had originally put into the trailer because we found we had not used them yet. If your driveway won't work, maybe try camping out in a nearby park a few times for a month or more before taking off.  

Some websites to check out: https://www.rvillage.com/pages/welcomehttps://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/https://roadtrippers.com/, http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/. And for free camping check, Boondocker Welcome, Hip Camp, and Harvest Hosts. Having a computer with a VPN and a hot spot for Wi-fi is pretty much a must. Best of luck, be safe and have great fun. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

Look at the website whitlen.com they have some excellent and helpful ideas.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

We full-timed from 1992 until 2016 when we bought property again.  We loved it!  We are best friends and very compatible to living in a small space.  We didn't set a goal at first, but then decided to try to go to every state.  We misdsed 3, if you count Hawaii - can't drive to that one.  We picked up new hobbies along the way.  We traveled in 3/4 of the states of Mexico, drove to Panama City, Panama but missed Belieze the only state in Central America - we hadn't started counting and even stayed 6 miles from there for a week.  We loved meeting people, seeing new things and exploring.  We had a motto - Look at all you can wherever you are, you may never be back.  We miss our RV, but hubby is 87 now and we are starting the next phase of learning new things.  Enjoy!!  Life is to short to not enjoy it!!

Check out all the web sites suggested.  We all have favorites.  My brother's right now is www.boondockerswelcome.com

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

The best website for all travel needs involving some type of RV is RV.NET. It's a free site. I traveled fairly extensively with a popup camper for a number of years and was on the forum for quite some time. Very large forum, many members, very helpful.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors