You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How many countries have you been to?

Message 61 of 67

I haven't counted the total number of countries I've been to but I can say which ones I liked the best. This is in no specific order.

• Peru
  • China
  • Vietnam
  • Korea
  • Chile
  • Cambodia
  • Argentina
  • Ecuador
  • Belize
  • Uruguay
  • France
  • Netherlands
  • Mexico

Obviously, Peru is great for the Andes and for Machu Picchu. Cambodia for Angkor Wat and Vietnam for it's sheer beauty (the central Highlands) and it's girls. China for many things - too many to name (Great Wall, Forbidden City, etc.). And the Netherlands is great because it's super cool. 

I'd like to visit Jordan next to see Petra. Or maybe go to Israel and see Tel Aviv and Jeruselum. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 67

Hi, all!

I estimate I've been to between 20 to 23 countries. Two that stand out in my mind as "GOTTA go back again" are Spain and Taiwan. I've been to Spain about 3 times already (am pretty fluent, so it's fairly easy for me to get around there), and Taiwan, once. I love Taiwan for the Zhiben Hot Springs (eastern-central Taiwan)--all that lovely water!--the food, and to give my paltry Mandarin a workout. Love the Caribbean for its warm climate and blue ocean waters (can we say "Cancun," everybody?), and the music. I love travelling and seeing new places--the airports, maybe not so much, LOL.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 67

Have been throughout Western Europe, including the UK and Ireland; Central and South America; the Caribbean islands; Canada, 41 of 50 US states and 22 of 32 states in Mexico, where now we have been retired for 11 years. Obviously, Mexico has proven to be our favorite since we chose it as our retirement home, after a fabulous career in the United States.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 67

I don't really have any favorites; pretty much liked all the countries, altho a few places within some countries stand out a bit.. For example - we recently spent a couple weeks in Germany and had returned for the third or fourth time to a little village on the Rhine.  Sankt Goar.  We enjoyed a casual 3 days there this time and did take a pleasant river cruise up river.  This village has no MacDonalds, KFC, Burger King or any places like that.  It is pure German.  As a matter of fact - this river area is known as the heart and soul of Germany.  Just sitting on a bench, watching the barges and cruise boats passing by, looking at the castle across the river - seems to connect me with my many generations of ancestors.

I have work to do now - but will return and tell you about Chile.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 67

@wilful That's quite a lot! Which were your favorites (and why)?

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 67

I pulled up a list of the World's countries.  A quick look over gave me 49.  I could have missed a few, but that number should be pretty close to accurate.

I don't have much hankering to see the rest, but if someone gave me a good argument in favor of any of the "unvisited" ones - I could probably be persuaded to go.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How many countries have you been to?

Message 67 of 67

Although I didn't start out as a "country counter", over the years after much travel and others asking me, I began to count how many places I'd been to. So now by my count, I've been to 91 countries (about 86 official countries). And, by Travelers' Century Club count (http://travelerscenturyclub.org/countries-and-territories), I've now reached 102 destinations and submitted my application for membership this past weekend now that I've reached the magical "100" number. 

What about you--have you traveled much? What is your "country count"? What countries do you still want to see? Are there any other Travelers' Century Club members here?

Kudos
Views
Replies