You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: How many countries have you been to?

Message 51 of 67

@Greensfork44 I spent the summer in France 2 years ago and regret I didn't spend hardly any time in Provence. Another time. Will you be there in June to see the lavender fields?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 67

Have been to Canada, Mexico, Curacao, Netherlands, Luxembourg and France.  Not very many compared to a lot of people.  I love France and have been a Francofile since my high school days.  Am making a return trip next summer and this time will spend time in Provence and near the Mediterranean Sea. Have also been to all but the New England states in the US. 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 67

Thanks so much for all the Antarctica info, @jb62345. It's great to hear other people's experiences as I do my research. I might consider the kayaking option if it seems a beginner (with an onboard lesson) could do it. And the evening talks and bar talks sound interesting. It sounds like with Quark you could all go on shore at the same time and not rotate times because of being a big ship. That's important to me. 

Do you recommend Falklands and South Georgia Islands because you're able to see more types of wildlike than on Antarctica, or just more quantity (of penguins)? Or, another reason? I'm trying to decide if it would be worth the extra time and money.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 67

@VoyagerVicki

We went with Quark.  It was a small ship, formerly a Russian tanker or something like that, holding about 120 passengers and about 110 crew (I forget the exact number).  It was reinforced for ice.  Not luxurious, but quite nice.  There were 2-4 options at every stop; usually a zodiac ride, stay on the beach, take a hike, sometimes a choice of more vs less difficult hikes, and kayaking, which you had to sign up for and cost extra.  It was an amazing trip.  We met people from over 50 countries though most were Aussies, Brits and Chinese.  We had not kayaked before but took a kayaking class from REI.  They also give you an onboard lesson before the first stop.  A couple of other kayakers also were relatively inexperienced but some were very experienced.  They are very safety-conscious.  Most of the at sea time was while we slept, except for the first part crossing the Drake Passage (my least favorite part).  There were two ship's doctors who were there for us if needed.  Evenings included talks on many subjects such as Antarctic exploration, weather, ice, birds, sea mammals and more.  Then there were also evening "bar talks" given by the crew, generally very entertaining.  I do recommend South Georgia and the Falklands as well.  Quite an adventure!  They give you fleece jackets, waterproof jackets, and boots.  National Geographic also goes there.  We saw them in port once; their ship was a bit larger but still not overly big.  Happy to share any other info with you.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 67

Holy cow!!!!  Are you married?  Are you looking for a cabana boy?  Just kidding. . . 

I’ve been to the USSR (yes, when it was still a communist country), Denmark, Mexico and Canada.  I hope to complete a bicycling trip in the Czech Republic/Austria or Croatia soon (TrekTravels).

I’m interested in visiting Eastern Europe and completing some genealogy research, as well.

on the bucket list are Spain, Italy, France and Greece!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 67

@jb62345 What a great list! For those countries I've been to of those, I definitely agree. I also travel to learn about the culture and history of destinations. I was just in southern Africa in May-June (South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe).

I'm starting to do research for a trip to Antarctica 2019-2020. Any advice on things to consider when deciding on a tour? I'm thinking smaller boat rather than huge ship, plenty of time on land rather than on the ship. I'm not looking for luxury. I'm not sure if I want to include Falklands and South Georgia Islands. What was your trip like? What was the kayaking like? Sounds wonderful, but I've never kayaked, so that's probably not the place to learn?

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 67

@wilful Oh no! Check your archive folder, it might be saved somewhere accessible. I'll check around to see if I can find out anything for you.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 67

AWWWWW!  I just spent an hour composing the longest post I've ever done... I clicked on POST - and got this:

Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication.

My labor of love is gone!  Smiley Sad Smiley Sad
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 67

27 or so...not counting brief cruise ship stops or connecting flights.

Generally spending at least a week in each country.  Often a month or more.

Most recently, we spent January, February, & March in Argentina & Uruguay.

We love our California coast home best....:-)

It is difficult to chose which international places we liked best.

We have enjoyed somethings in every place...disliked somethings in every place.

Places to which we would not return...have too much air pollution, garbage, begging, or are over crowded.

The Australian east coast or the north island of New Zealand are very attractive.

They are relatively safe, have a western culture, a healthy mix of urban with nature, and pleasant weather.

Western Europe provides unparalleled opportunities to visit different countries and cultures.

Central & South America provide unique exposure to Aztec, Mayan & Incan civilizations.

So far travel has been...mostly fun, entertaining.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 67

I've been to about 30 countries in plus Antarctica and a couple of island groups considered territories of some other countries.  My favorites have been:

Antarctica for the wildlife and kayaking

Peru for Macchu Pichu

Ecuador for snorkeling in the Galapagos

Tibet for the culture

Japan for the culture and food

Cambodia for it's monuments and learning about it's history

Egypt for it's monuments and learning about its history

Chile for scenery and outdoor activities

Spain for history, food and culture

Jordan for Petra, just an amazing place

Kenya and Tanzania for safari and learning about other cultures.

France for dear friends who live there.

Canada for our traditional relaxing family vacation with kids and grandkids.

I love traveling for the experience of learning about other cultures and their history, meeting people, enjoying different food, scenery and wildlife.  Iceland, Bhutan, and Thailand are among other places I want to visit.  This fall we will be traveling to South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Zambia.  

Kudos
Views