You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How many countries have you been to?

Message 21 of 67

Unfortunately some of your countries are not countries according to the UN which says there are 195 countries.  England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are not 4 countries but 1 -- Great Britan.  I had counted them as 4 until I found a list of UN countries.  Also Puerto Rico is part of the US.  The Orkney Islands are not a country and neither is St. Maarten.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 67

I would think spring might be an ideal time for your Midwest trip, or fall.  The Midwest in summer is unbearably hot and humid, plus MOSQUITOES!  Winter is fierce, but I am sure you already knew that.  😉

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 67

I am not a big traveler although I love it.  Genaelogy drives my travel these days.  There's nothing like the experience of standing in the place where your family has been.  I highly recommend it!  I have been to 10 counties, mostly Europe.  Caucasian Americans don't seem to have a sense of their roots, in part because for so many their ancestors were forcibly sent here (UK) or the water was safer than the land (fleeing oppression).  It's wonderful to learn who your family is and be able to go there.  I love to watch "Who Do You Think You Are", on TLC (you can see the episodes online) and "Finding Your Roots" on PBS.  History repeats itself.  A valuable pursuit IMO.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 67
When I go someplace new, that becomes my favorite place. LOL It's hard to choose a favorite place. There is so many beautiful things to see every where you go!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 67

The states I still need are North Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Utah.  I'm in the thinking stage of seeing some of the National Parks in Utah next year, but not sure about going yet. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 67

Alaska and Hawaii are two that are still waiting for me. I live in Arizona and love the hot weather with low humidity and mild winters. It is a beautiful state and one I felt very comfortable in when the husband retired from the military.  Thank you for asking and please come and visit this state.  It can go from extreme cold in Flagstaff in the winter to extreme hot in Death Valley, but there is so much beauty in between.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 67

@mlewis21

I have also been to 45 of the 50 states. Which ones do you have left? For me, it's Arizona, Nevada, Maine, Montana, and Alaska. I'll hopefully get to these in a couple years or so. Arizona especially interests me--the Grand Canyon, of course. But also Sedona and Monument Valley.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 67

@rfcarl @mb9777 That's quite a lot of travel! What have been your favorite countries/places you've visited?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 67

That is so awesome that you have had that life experience to see so many counries. I know all of those memories of each one of those places are special. Thanks for sharing..

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 67

I've been to 29 different countries, all since 1990 and on every continent except Antarctica. I was not sure how to classify territories such as the Cook Islands and French Polynesia, as well as one-time territories such as Hong Kong and Macao (before they returned to Chinese control, since I have not been to China itself), so those four are not included in my count.

Kudos
Views