Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How many countries have you been to?

Message 11 of 64
Thank you. That is my feeling also!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 64

Who gives a hoot about an official list of countries? England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are 4 unique countries to visitors. Travel is about people, let's not get too **bleep** about official lists. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 64

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 64

All the countries I've been to have been for leisure, no work.  My favorite trip was to Antarctia, but this isn't a country.  My favorite country is New Zealand.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 64

@JoyceH325734 That's awesome! Are you a member of the Travelers' Century Club? I just joined this summer. I haven't been to 100 official countries yet, but I've been to 102 culturally distinct destinations as defined by their list.

Was your travel partially for work, or all personal/leisure travel? Any favorite places you'd like to share?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 64
I wasn't really counting, I was merely stating where I have been! I don't really care if places I have been are an "official" country or not. I just like to travel to where I want to go when I want to go.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 64

I have been to 101 countries.  These are from the list the UN has of the 195 countries in the world.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 64

Unfortunately some of your countries are not countries according to the UN which says there are 195 countries.  England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are not 4 countries but 1 -- Great Britan.  I had counted them as 4 until I found a list of UN countries.  Also Puerto Rico is part of the US.  The Orkney Islands are not a country and neither is St. Maarten.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 64

I would think spring might be an ideal time for your Midwest trip, or fall.  The Midwest in summer is unbearably hot and humid, plus MOSQUITOES!  Winter is fierce, but I am sure you already knew that.  😉

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 64

I am not a big traveler although I love it.  Genaelogy drives my travel these days.  There's nothing like the experience of standing in the place where your family has been.  I highly recommend it!  I have been to 10 counties, mostly Europe.  Caucasian Americans don't seem to have a sense of their roots, in part because for so many their ancestors were forcibly sent here (UK) or the water was safer than the land (fleeing oppression).  It's wonderful to learn who your family is and be able to go there.  I love to watch "Who Do You Think You Are", on TLC (you can see the episodes online) and "Finding Your Roots" on PBS.  History repeats itself.  A valuable pursuit IMO.

Kudos
Views