Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

How many U.S. states have you been to?

Which U.S. states have you visited? Which other ones do you still want to see?

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

My husband and I have been to 31 states together. We only count the states that we have actually vacationed in and not just passed through. We are soon to retire within two years and hope we can complete all 50 states. I myself have been to 36 states, but we are counting those we have done together. Our next destination will be Michigan.

Trusted Contributor

I recently read that the average American has visited 12 states, which puts me in a unique category of having spent time in 41 of them. I have yet to visit Washington state, the Dakotas, or the northeastern states. The good news is having experienced multiple coast to coast moves, I have become a well organized packer while continuing to downsize over the years. My kids will appreciate this one day when they discover that my life consists of a stack of journals, photos I have meticulously catalogued, and a couple of shoe boxes of mementos. Recently, I moved to South Lake Tahoe, CA from the east coast so another trip is not immediately in the cards. Should that day come, I would head directly to Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont.  What I have learned throughout my travels is that you must talk to people in every state you visit to appreciate new surroundings, cultures, history, etc.  By discovering and accepting other people’s differences and similarities, you can learn so much more about yourself -- provided you make time to listen.

My wife and I have been to all fifty states and most of them at least twice or more.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have been to all but 8. I missed Alaska, Oregon, N. Dakota, Michigan, Minnesota, Maine, Vermont, and Massachussetts.

Periodic Contributor

I've been to all the states however my wife is missing several in the middle of the country.  Next spring we're planning a trip to alleviate this nagging problem.  We'll start at Gateway Arch National Park in Missouri, drive through the corner of Kansas, pick up a tornado or two in eastern Oklahoma, visit Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas, visit the metropolis of Burnsville, Ms, then drive exactly one mile into Alabama and back!  That should take care of this nagging problem.

Contributor

We have visited all 50, completed in 2014 with North Dakota. Also DC, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Been to all 50 states plus more than 40 foreign countries.  I'm 81 and still traveling.

Contributor

I've been to 49 states, including Washington D.C., but not Maine.  I've been to Canada, Mexico, Europe and Asia.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've been to 49 states, including Washington D.C., but not Maine.  I've been to Canada, Mexico, Europe and Asia.

Contributor

49 and I stil trying to figure how to hit North Dakota, my remaining state. It is not a big tourist draw and it's not on the way somewhere. 

I have done parts of Europe, Canada, and the Far East, and really have no desire to visit any of them again. If I did some international travel it might be to the Carribbean - Mexico, Autralia/New Zealand, Italy, and the UK... but considering what is happening in the UK, may be not. 

Really, America is so great, I really would rather revisit all of the National Parks than go anywhere else. 

America is the bestest!

Contributor

I have visited or done business in 49 states.  I only have Hawaii left; however I want to go back to many and spend more time!

Periodic Contributor

So far I have been to 48 of the 50.  Will need to make a special trip to my final 2. Michigan and Wesconsin.

Contributor

@kfsocal wrote:

So far I have been to 48 of the 50.  Will need to make a special trip to my final 2. Michigan and Wesconsin.

I hav bee to 47 still missing new hsmpshire Maine and Vermont 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been to 46 states missing Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Alaska.

Contributor

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado

Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts

Mississippi

Nevada

New Jersey

New York

North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina
South Dakota

Tennessee
Texas

Virginia

I have been to 37, although Texas was only twice and each time changing planes in the Dallas Airport.

Still want to see Oregon, Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, Hawaii and visit Nebraska for the college World Series sometime.

Honored Social Butterfly

I have visited 24 states, and drove across 4 others. I had the opportunity to travel a good bit when I worked, so most of it was on business.

I was especially impressed with NYC. It was freezing cold in February (a business trip), but I bundled up, got out and walked around and enjoyed it very much. Even though I had traveled alone, I felt very safe. Later, a second business trip allowed me to enjoy it in better weather with my colleagues. We had a great time, visited Chinatown, Little Italy, and enjoyed some fabulous food!

For vacations, we enjoyed hiking trips in North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee in the east, and Colorado, Nevada, and California in the west.

On my list - Washington DC, Montana Glacier National Park, Arizona Grand Canyon, Utah Badlands.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Contributor

I have been to all 50. Alaska was my 50th.

Contributor

All 50.  My goal was 50 by age 50 and celebrated 50th birthday in Oregon!

I’ve been to 48 states.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been to 45 states and 1 territory (Puerto Rico).  I still have not yet been to North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Montana and Wyoming.  I have witnessed beauty that is unique to each location and am grateful for the opportunity to visit them all!

Contributor

49 states + DC + Puerto Rico + US Virgin Islands + Guam +  Saipan.  Will need to make it to North Dakota some day. In case anyone is wondering, not military--just love to travel!

Periodic Contributor

Need to visit Alaska, Montana and North Dakota.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have visited all but Hawaii, Alaska and Main.

Tom Higgins
Regular Contributor

I have visited 47 states + Washington DC as well as many foreign countries.

Tom Higgins
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

49 states

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have not visited Nebraska

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have visited 23 states and have lived in 8 of those.

0 Kudos

48 Tractor Trailer Driver 20+years

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP