From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How many U.S. states have you been to?

Message 71 of 154

I have lived, worked in and/or visited every state with the single exception of Idaho.  I was born in NC when my dad worked for Sears and with every promotion we moved to the next larger store - usually in another state.  After turning down an opportunity to move to Illinois and Sears headquarters, my father went back to college and then got into the newspaper business which took the family to Ohio.   I took summer jobs in New England before and during college.  After college I moved to Colorado and later New Mexico.  I started law school in Iowa and finished in Minnesota.  In my 35+ years of practicing law I traveled throughout the country as trial counsel for multiple clients. I lived in California, New Hampshire and later Illinois for most of those years.  I visited Hawaii 5 times - but only one time did I leave the airport!  After retirement I traveled to Alaska including a visit in mid February just to say “been there done that”.  So what’s left - a visit to Idaho of course.  The U.S. is an amazing country and while I have traveled internationally, my best trips have always here.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 154

I'm sure my husband and I visited all 50 states when we first retired and drove across the southern states the winter of 2005 and the northern states up to Alaska for a month in summer 2005.  We spent 3 weeks in Hawaii in July 2017, the one state we didn't think we would every get to but his sister moved there and we went to visit her.  Some of the states we just drove thru in our motor home but I now have many Christmas ornaments from states for our tree. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 154

I have been to 44 states and the territorial island of Guam, Michigan, Wisconsin, Idaho, Montana, Connecticut and Massachuetts are the only ones I have not been to.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 154

All except Alaska, a miss we will correct this year. 

Also been in over 90 foreign countries.  Lived in two of them.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 154

I've been to 47 states, all of them except Delaware, and North and South Dakota.  They are still on my to do list, more for the accomplishment than for the sights, but there are a few things I would like to see in each.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 154

24 not 16

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 154

We have visited 45 States as well as Washington DC.  The rest are on our bucket list.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 154

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 154

I have been to all 50 states now and done something significant in each states, many of them I have been to from 2-30 times (I'm 69 yrs old) and all of them have spent at least 1 night in but most states have spent from 3 to 7 nights each time.  I even stayed for 2 months in FL on one of my trips (for my job).  I'm blessed with friends who love to travel and helped me to get to my goal.

The last state I visited was North Dakota and what a pleasant surprise I got in Fargo when I visited their Visitor's Bureau.  I did not know this when I walked in the door but they have a "Saved The Best For Last" Club and gave me a t-shirt with that on it, took my picture, gave me a certificate and even have their own Facebook page.   It was a fun experience and Fargo is a great city to visit, as well as other stops within the state.

Happy travels!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 154

I have been to 48 states.  The only two I have not been to are Alaska and Hawaii. I may still make it to Alaska, but have a fear of flying due to a bad experience, so doubt if I go to Hawaii. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark