Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How many U.S. states have you been to?

Retired Community Manager

How many U.S. states have you been to?

Which U.S. states have you visited? Which other ones do you still want to see?

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Regular Contributor

I have been to 20 states, some more than once, plus Washington DC.  The states are Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.  Have also been to Mexico, Spain, France, England and Scotland but that was in the late 70's.  Did take a trip as a child, with my parents along the New England coast to Canada.  Have very few memories of the trip as I was only 7 at the time.  There is only one state I still want to visit and that is Alaska.  Now that I am retired and living on a fixed income I don't know if I'll be able to make that trip but I can dream.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Been to 49.  Only missing Louisiana.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I’ve been to 47 states and I must say I’ve enjoyed each one of them for their own unique beauty, culture, economy and history. I’ve noted that a number of respondents haven’t yet been to the Dakotas, or more specifically North Dakota, and can say I’ve found both of these states to be rewarding in what they offer, especially in their western regions (Blackhills in SD and the Badlands/Teddy Roosevelt sites in ND). Remaining on my list are three gems (New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine). We plan to visit these three states later this year and also add the Canadian provinces of Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia to complete our list for the U.S., with Newfoundland, Yukon Territories, Northwest Territories and Nunavik remaining in Canada. 

Periodic Contributor

So very true about the Dakotas!!

Northern North Dakota is a beautiful drive when the canola and flax crops are in bloom.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We have visited each of the fifty states and each of the state capitols except Trenton NJ , which was deemed too dangerous to walk!. We did this through the American Volkssport Association, (http://www.ava.org). These capitol walks were generally 10k (6.2 miles) in length. At the same time, we completed similar walks in each of the ten Canadian Provinces, but not the three territories.

Contributor

I've been to all 50...Love them all.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I've been to all 50 states.  Some of them several times. I've only slept in 49 however. According to my records we never spent an overnight in Nebraska. Hope to continue visiting them again and again. So much to see, so little time.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have been to 48 states - all states except Hawaii and Alaska.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I ONLY MISSED ONE STATE ALASKA , THAT STATE EVER APPEALED TO ME. I HAVE VISIT 49 STATES.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have lived in three states but have traveled to seven of our great states!

0 Kudos
Contributor

All.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been to 43 of the states missed only Delaware in the east and  the rest are in the north west and Alaska except for Washington.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been to 43 states, and the territorial Island of Guam, Mich., Wisc.,,Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Conn and Mass.. are the ones I have.not been to.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm sure my husband and I visited all 50 states when we first retired and drove across the southern states the winter of 2005 and the northern states up to Alaska for a month in summer 2005.  We spent 3 weeks in Hawaii in July 2017, the one state we didn't think we would every get to but his sister moved there and we went to visit her.  Some of the states we just drove thru in our motor home but I now have many Christmas ornaments from states for our tree. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been to 44 states and the territorial island of Guam, Michigan, Wisconsin, Idaho, Montana, Connecticut and Massachuetts are the only ones I have not been to.

0 Kudos

All except Alaska, a miss we will correct this year. 

Also been in over 90 foreign countries.  Lived in two of them.

0 Kudos
Contributor

24 not 16

0 Kudos
Contributor

I’ve been to 31 states

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

We have visited 45 States as well as Washington DC.  The rest are on our bucket list.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been to 48 states.  The only two I have not been to are Alaska and Hawaii. I may still make it to Alaska, but have a fear of flying due to a bad experience, so doubt if I go to Hawaii. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm a Georgia boy born and bred. But I spent 12 of my 65 years residing in North Carolina and being homesick for Georgia from age 47 until age 59 (and no, I wasn't in jail if that's what you're thinking) LOL. I've always been a geography geek and can remember almost every place my travels and God have taken me. I've visited 28 states in which I spent at least one night. I don't know if this counts, but I've set foot in 6 other states for a couple of hours at airport hubs on layovers waiting for connecting flights. I also don't know if this counts either, but I've flown over the airspace of 13 other states and seen them from 33,000 feet up. The only 3 states I've neither set foot in nor flown over are Alaska, Maine and Vermont. I went to Australia in 1980. However I only saw the Honolulu airport at midnight during Qantas refueling stops on my trip over to and my return trip from Sydney. Hawaii would be the place I'd like to revisit, but for 2 weeks instead of 2 hours !!

Greg
0 Kudos
Contributor

All except Alaska, Maine, and North Dakota.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've traveled in all 50 states -- on a motorcycle!  135,000 miles in 15 years.  I also hit all of the southern provinces of Canada.

I have visited 43 states (including Hawaii and Alaska) and driven across the country once.  We will drive across the US again so I can get the remaining six.

0 Kudos
Contributor

So far I have been to 21 states. So much to see in this great country.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Luckily enough I got #50, Alaska, this summer. Jet Blue did a big welcome to Alaska  my 50th state at the Anchorage airport for me.

I encourage everyone to visit all of America before going elsewhere as there is so much to see and enjoy.

Contributor

I have been to 49 of the 50 states.  Need to go to Alaska.

Contributor

You have one of the best for last. The state is so big with so much to see. I got Alaska my # 50 this summer. You wil enjoy. get there soon.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I’ve been in 47 states and Washington DC. I’ve missed Alaska, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Lived in in 5: Oregon, Washington, California, Hawaii, and Maryland. All courtesy of a Career Navy father.

Been to Australia, England, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, and France. All on my own.

Hail to my fellow wanderers!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've been to 48 states and to Puerto Rico.  I still have North Dakota and Hawaii to visit. I've camped in 7 of Canada's provinces. We will be in Hawaii for a week in April. I grew up in a family that loved to camp during our vacations. We camped up and down the east coast of the United States. In 1963, my mother drove her Senior Girl Scout troop from Florida around the through the states that bordered the Gulf of  Mexico. We entered Mexico from Texas and drove down to the Mexico City, Taxco, and Cuernavaca. The troop had had many spaghetti suppers to earn the money for the trip. In Cuernavaca, we visited the Caba´na which was the first International Girl Scout center in the western hemisphere. When my husband and I married, we had nearly 2 months to camp before we could move into married family housing for my graduate program. A few decades later we lived in Europe for 10 years where we visited 17 countries. We traveled to Antarctica, Chile, Argentina, Eccuador, Peru, Colombia, Panama, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras and Costa Rica. What wonderful memories we share of the people we met and the beauty we saw! 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP