Caring for a loved one? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How many U.S. states have you been to?

Message 1 of 45

I was a hard working farm gal but as the saying goes “you can’t keep them down on the farm forever!”. So in 1973 at age 19, I joined the USAF. It was the first time I was on a plane while flying to Lackland AB in San Antonio, TX. It wet my whistle to all things travel, as well as 2 years later for my husband, another USAF vet. We saw 15 states during our Air Force years and also lived in Germany for 2 years. After we were discharged in 1977 we went on a cross-crountry, budget tent trip visiting old USAF friends and seeing as many National Parks as we could in a 6-week period. It was a fantastic summer of seeing the beauty of 35 states! Our travels were curtailed a bit for 2 decades while raising 3 kids but we did manage additional family trips to the East Coast or Florida. When the last child got out of college in 2008, we concentrated on seeing the final 15 states with the last 3 being Alaska, Hawaii and North Dakota (for some reason we missed that state on our cross country trip) completing all 50 states by our 40th wedding anniversary in 2015. Besides the beauty, travel gives you a wealth of knowledge and appreciation for all of humanity. We are all so alike but still somewhat different no matter if you live near or far. I hope to be able to continue to travel here and overseas for years to come! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 45

We have visited 43 states

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 45

48 for me.  Would love to visit Alaska and Hawaii and go skydiving. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 45

All states, as well as Puerto Rico, Washington, DC, US Virgin Islands. Also, 29 countries. 

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 45

I’ve not been to any of the states but I’ve been to all of the Proviences!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 45

I have only been to 14 + Washington DC so I have lots of traveling to do, right!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 45

I completed my states over eight years ago, with my former job getting much credit for taking me to some less popular states.  My husband and I, and a friend, drove from Nashville to Wyoming and picked up the last states we needed for our states' map.  I am now set on bicycling in all 50 states, and lack about ten in that quest.  Too bad I didn't take my bicycle with me on my work trips!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 45

I have been to 29 states...I have lived in 5 of them...I have yet to visit the New England states and that is on my list for next trip...I am retired now and want to travel to as many of the remaining states that I have not been to...When I lived in Ohio I was situated better to visit them, however I was to young and and my family didn't travel much except in Ohio..Now that I am retired it makes it easy to accomplish..

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 45

All 50 and every US Territory.  I was able to travel to each state because I was in the Navy with a rate that required the travel.  I truly have enjoyed each state, for each one is different with it's own, I call personality.  I have lived, at least one year, in 15 states and are now retired in my favorite one for 10 years, Utah.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 45

I have only been to 20. I would like to see Oregon and Washington because of their gardens.

I especially loved visiting Ohio. The Topiary Park in Columbus, Ohio was amazing.

Kudos
Views