Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How has travel changed since you first began traveling?

Message 11 of 14

To me, one of the biggest differences in travel has been with air travel. I remember my first flight in 1972, when everyone got dressed up for their flight.  We got menus and a choice of hot meals in economy class.  Magazines were passed out by flight attendants who would stop and chat with the passengers.  We weren't packed into the plane like sardines.  The plane was a happy, fun and exciting place to be.  How times have changed.....my last flight was a month ago, and I'll just say it was not a pleasant experience at all.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 14

Since this boy appeared in 1942 a lot of things have changed.  To me, expressways make the most difference.  Followed by car technology ( FM radio, self parking, power this and power that ).  There maybe less iron in a car now, but they are by far safer.  Seat belts didn't show up till 1957.  You don't hear of anyone getting "retread tires" any more either. 

There are more eateries and motels for the public too choose from..  I was 16 before I ever saw my first McDonalds. 

RV is almost the norm these days.  The thing I would also like too see families do now days when the kids are still at home, is take them to a Drive-in movie once in their life time. They'll never forget it. 

Al

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 14

We used to go to travel agencies or spend a lot of time sending notes to hotel owners who would respond with prices and usually, a picture postcard of the hotel/motel.

Now, with the various internet sites (TripAdvisor being my favorite), I can do all my own research for things to do, must-see sights, see reviews on places to stay, look at bus/train/plane schedules, and directly contact people.

Totally different experience. I still use travel books as an initial reference.    

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How has travel changed since you first began traveling?

Message 14 of 14

How have the places you've traveled to changed since you were first there? How has technology changed how you travel?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users