Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How has travel changed since you first began traveling?

Message 1 of 14

much better then,,,less traffic..not as crowded..nicer people..everyone smilled and talked to each other..the good old days are gone....good luck living  with electronics insted of people,,,talk is gone

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

When I was a senior in high school, I chose an airline school in Minneapolis, Minn. to further my education and eventually to enter the "Airline World."  At that time working for the airlines was a big deal.  I, of course, like many girls my age wanted to be a stewardess (that's what they called airline attendants at that time.) So, off I went in Oct., 1964, on my very first flight.....went to the school, learned a lot, got hired by National Airlines in NYC, and by June, 1965, was working in their reservation department on 42nd street in NYC.  The airline employes were many representing several airlines.  I couldn't be a stewardess until I was 21 because of having to serve alcolol on the flights.....odd, really, because I could have a drink on a flight with no questions asked, but the stewardesses had to be 21.  Airlines were barely computerized at that time, so everthing that was done behind the scenes was done much slower. For my part in this massive growing industry, reservations agents were the first person that a customer would talk to, so we had to be quite sharp and know how to sell the airline.  That skill took me about 6 months to master. I am amazed today at how far technology has brought airflight.  It was a great job; didn't last long enough to make stewardess, got married, moved to Rochester NY, and worked for Eastman Kodak in their travel department, which is a whole other story.  Just a little side note: many of my friends from high school went on to college for teaching. My choice of airline work turned out to financially be a better choice at that time.  My whole education was $1,000, took 9 months, and I was working and my yearly salary was thousands more per year that a starting teacher made in those days, which really was a travisty, but nice for me. Ironically, in 1984, after our kids were in school I went back to college and earned my bachlor's degree in what?......Education and finished my working career as a teacher. Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

Your comment about retreads caught my attention. My first trip on an airline was a 1960 flight from ATL to IAH. From there I took a train to the North Zulch station and was picked up by my Geology Camp professor for the drive to College Station. It was a wonderful beginning to my life of travel.

Today, at 74 years old, I reflect on a life of travel as the "real university".

Up until the deregulation of the airline industry, travel was a priviledge and an adventure. 

I believe that the current state of all forms of travel are a reflection of the enormous changes in the world around us.

The most profound influences on travel have  occured as a response to tecnological upheaval in all parts of our lives, the advent of discount travel ( Southwest, etc.), the changes in human perception of the "traveler code of conduct", global turmoil and security issues and the changes in how we plan our travels. 

The most dangerous part of a trip for me is the drive home on I-75 from Orlando to Gainesville, FL. If there is a crisis to travel safety, interstates are on the top of my list.

As I rehab from hip replacement #2 (the other hip), I found a 35mm slide with my wife and I on our first trip overseas in 1969 to England. We are "dressed up" and I wore a coat and tie for the entire trip. The airline was TWA. 

Travel has been the #1 greatest influence on my entire adult life including the things that I have accomplished and the way that I see the world.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

I traveled, extensively, both domestic and international in the late 60s to about 1990. Those were the lovely days of jumbo jets, L1011s and 747s. Think seats, free blankets and pillows, plenty of leg room, and pretty decent meals on long flights. Of course, through the mid 70s, probably fewer than 25% of Americans had ever flown. Tourist class allowed for 70 pounds of checked luggage, and changing ones flight cost between $25-75. It was a more civil time to travel by air.

Internationally, every country was unique, not homogenized, like now, with a McDonald’s or Starbucks where ever one went. No TVs in hotel rooms, so no CNN or MSNBC. If you wanted English language news, you carried a shortwave radio and tuned into VOA or BBC world service, or picked up a copy of the Paris edition of the Herald Tribune or Times of London. 

There was still an ‘Iron Curtain’, which meant traveling be train from say Paris to Athens meant traveling through communist Bulgaria or Romania, with soldiers boarding trains to check your passport and check for forbidden reading material. Going to Berlin and wanting to visit the museum in east Berlin, meant registering yourself at checkpoint Charlie, letting the American soldiers know where you were planning to go and when to expect you to cross back into the west.

when I lived in London we had a joke about the tourist ‘season’ it was measured by the first tour busses in front of Buckingham palace and ended with the last bus in the fall. Today there is no time of year when every major European city is not overrun. Back then, between early October and late April we had our cities back to ourselves. Grocery shopping that took three hours during the season, now returned to a normal hour.

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

Yes, GPS made my traviling easier.  My wife refused to read a map and wouldn't drive in congested areas.

A few years back Waze changed our destination.  It did so in heavy traffic so we figured we were just avoiding traffic.  It was't until we stopped for lunch that I discovered the problem.  We have never completely trusted Waze since.  Google also can go nuts when their map doesn't match reality.  We often use 2 cell phones with different apps to check one another.  Waze does use Google maps now that they are owned by Google.  That was a plus for Google and a minus for Waze.  Now Google will reroute if the traffic is bad enough. Waze is still superior to Google but uses more data and much more power. Waze uses about 2 AMPs which is more than a lot of car chargers.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

@ih711 wrote:

"...... reading the maps (and hoping you had the latest one). It was challenging and I was good at it, and thank goodness I was still married then, so one of us could read the map while the other did the driving......".

Yeah. DW was always the navigator. But woe onto her if she made an error! Smiley Tongue

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

Funny, I feel the exact opposite when I see lotsf guns.  I feel very safe.  You are more likely to get you thoat slit in your own house while you sleep than be attacked by terrorists in a heavily guarded area.  That has rarely happened.  They prefer to spray down defenselee peope to hear them scream.  Terrorst tend to be cowards. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

now days it is simply airport after airport filled with GUNS; police. Army, security, searches, check points and caneras every where. Long gone is the thrill of travel, no more fun & excitement, adventure is lost to fear. use to worry about missing your flight but now you worry about making it

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

All true.  I, however, prefer road triips for about 4-5 days.  We have so much beauty in our own country that I see no need anymore to travel outside it.  Also, I am not entirely sure it is safe to do so now.  I highly recommend Our State magazine for ideas to take short road trips within your state.  We so enjoyed our trip to Asheville, NC and the Bilmore, downtown and Arboretum.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

Hurrah for GPS!  I remember the world before then -- reading the maps (and hoping you had the latest one). It was challenging and I was good at it, and thank goodness I was still married then, so one of us could read the map while the other did the driving. Traveling is sure easier with my wonderful GPS!

And wheels on suitcases!  Thank you, whoever invented that!

Kudos
Views