You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Savannah, GA

Message 1 of 10

What kind of suggestions are you looking for? Places to stay or just general things to do? I stayed with family but was in a hotel or two for dinner and drinks. It's been a few years but you have to stay near the water. That's where some of the best places to stay are and some have views of the water.Yes it's busy and a little touristy but the entire area is very walkable and there are so many things to do, places to eat (a haunted tavern where so many people were killed or run off during second floor renovation attempts over hundreds of years that work was finally completely abandoned). If your lucky enough to go upstairs you'll see clear evidence of people having worked up there tools and lumber, and beautiful period woodwork-all dust covered from so little recent activity. I don't think they give formal tours but if your nice to your waiter you never know. Now if I could just remember the name of it! But there are so many interesting things like that everywhere you look. Not because of hauntings, but history. On the walk down to the water you will see where slaves were once sold. There are even shackles still embedded in the brick in some places. You can't help but feel the sadness and despair that still lingers.There are plaques wherever you go with fascinating tidbits of history. And THEN there are the squares, Walk in just about any direction and you will see itty bitty parks, or squares, every few blocks. So beautiful, shady and peaceful they made my summer visit tolerable. When your sitting in one of them daydreaming or reading a book you forget it's summer. And THEN there's the architecture, You have to appreciate it even if your not a huge fan. Just keep on walking-it just gets better and better. I could've spent days just wandering. By far one of my favorite cities in the world! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Savannah, GA

Message 2 of 10

Hi @RobinW405355,

I was just in Savannah last March and my favorite thing I did was a city walk. I learned a lot about the history of the city and saw many of the major landmarks. Savannah is famous for it's haunted past and there are several ghost walks and haunted homes (esp. the Sorrel-Weed House) to visit.

Vicki

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Savannah, GA

Message 3 of 10

does anyone have any suggestions for Savannah Ga.??

Please & Thanks in advance 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Have You Been to Savannah?

Message 4 of 10

I was in NOLA in 1993 for Mardi Gras and loved it. It was a great time weatherwise too. Plus, as you probably know, it's much better and a different experience if you know someone there who can show you around. I went with a friend who went to Tulane University and we were visiting his friend there. So, I was with two people who knew the city well and were able to show me some of the well-known and not-so-well-known places. I'm sure it's changed so much since then. I'd also like to go back sometime and see it now.

I still have my Pat O'Brien's glass : )

That sounds like a great road trip you have planned. Natchez Trace Parkway is a great drive anytime of year and probably even better in the fall with colored leaves. However, foggy, misty wintertime is special with its mystical feel too.

IMG_1745_2.JPGMysterious driveIMG_1750.jpgThe trees are so tall!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

I have also been to NOLA. I was there for a conference back in 1982. At the time, I was living in Spartanburg South Carolina and I drove there with three other men from Greenville South Carolina. During the conference, i had plenty of time to explore the city and surrounding area. I did get to spend some time on Bourbon Street and went to the Preservation Hall and heard their great jazz band. Had a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's. Stayed at the Hyatt Regency across from the Superdome. 

At the time, I had two cousins living in NOLA. Got to visit them as well on my trip. One is an artist and she and her husband sold their art on Jackson Square. We went to the docks and bought some crawfish and shrimp off the boat, then went back to their home and pigged out on shrimp and crawfish. 

On my bucket list is to take another road trip to NOLA from my hometown of Cleveland Ohio and go along the Natchez Trace Parkway one way and on the other way, spend some time in Mobile and visit the gardens there. When I was in NOLA back in 1982, it was in June. The next time I go there it will be earlier in the year, perhaps March or April when it isn't so hot and humid. I thought South Carolina was humid in summer, but NOLA is much worse. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

I have visited Savannah in the winter when I have been on Hilton Head. Those visits have been day trips from Hilton Head as a break from playing golf. I would love to visit there in the spring when the plants are in bloom. I used to live in South Carolina and spring in the south is delightful with all the plants in full bloom. Charleston is also a wonderful city to visit and explore. I have visited Charleston many times since it was only a half day's drive from Spartanburg where I used to live. 

I love the night photograph of the Cathedral in Savannah. I visited this when I was there in February, but it was during the day on a mostly cloudy day. However I was able to go inside and they allowed interior photography. Here is a picture inside that cathedral.

350.JPG

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

I was also in Savannah recently--last month. I had been briefly many years ago (I think just driving through), so I wanted to explore it again and get to know it a bit since I'm only 4 hours away now. I chose to go on the Home and Gardens Tour weekend when the flowers were all in bloom. Beautiful city--I loved the Spanish moss trees (although I see that here in Florida too). I was surprised that it was a big party city and that its St. Patrick's Day celebration is one of the largest in the country (and world). 

Some of the highlights (and recommendations) from my Savannah weekend were the following:

• Dinner at the Old Pink House, a Savannah icon and also good for vegetarians (which is not always the case in many destinations)
  • Ghost hunting at the Sorrel Weed House, which has been featured on several TV shows on haunted houses, and following ghost walk in the center of the city
  • Historical walking tour of this fascinating city
  • Sunday brunch at a restaurant on River Street

Some of my photos from the weekend include the fountain at Forsyth Park, flowers in bloom in the park, a street scene on Oglethorpe Avenue in the Historic District, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist at night, a view of the Savannah River, and the Hamilton Turner House, a B&B said to be haunted.IMG_9561.JPGFountain in Forsyth ParkIMG_9564.JPGFlowers in Forsyth ParkIMG_9527.JPGHistoric District street scene--Oglethorpe AvenueIMG_9488.jpgCathedral of St. John the BaptistIMG_9499.JPGSavannah River sceneIMG_9547.JPGHamilton Turner House

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

Great post!

I love Savannah; many visits to friends there and en route to HHI.

My favorite city in the world is NOLA; Savannah is my NOLA on the East coast.

• Very relaxed and friendly people (murders you wrote about aside).
  • Fantastic food (and I live in Vegas so I consider myself a certified foodie).
  • Best weather (outside of the hurricanes and humidity but that's only once in a while.)

The only thing I would find negative is they're too close to those Panthers; go Chiefs (my hometown heroes).

If you have a vacation in mind, Savannah would be a great choice!

#VegasStrong 

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

I have been to Savannah Georgia several times, most recently this past February. I have a time share at Hilton Head and go there in February. While it is too cold to lie on the beach or go into the ocean, the weather there that time of year is perfect for playing golf and sight seeing. Savannah is the nearest large city to Hilton Head and there is plenty to see and do in Savannah. It is a city full of history and charm.

However before visiting Savannah, go see the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". That movie is from a novel that is based on an actual murder in Savannah and it captures the essence of the people and quirks there. Another movie that was largely filmed in Savannah was Forrest Gump. Touring Savannah, you could see the park where Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump sat on the bench telling his story. You could also visit the "Garden of Good and Evil" in Savannah. 

Perhaps the best way to see the city is to take one of the many tour buses that allow one to hop off and hop back on the bus. They go around the historic district of Savannah and the guides explain the city to tourists. You can also see the house that was used in the movie 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" as well as learn about its famous resident. 

In Savannah, don't miss spending some time on River Street which is the city's old commercial district along the Savannah River. There are several shops there. Many are tourist traps, but a must buy are some of Savannah's famous pralines, a delightful sweet delicacy. 

If you are a fan of cooking, there is the Paula Deen store and her brother still operates a restaurant in Savannah. Savannah has many good restaurants, but be careful. That southern cooking can break a diet and pack on pounds. 

A short drive nearby leads to Tybee Island on the Atlantic. Savannah itself is inland on the Savannah River and not directly on the coast. Tybee Island is an island for tourists and is much less pretentious than Hilton Head. 

A few things that Savannah is known for are its big St. Patrick's Day celebration, one of the largest in the United States and Christmas. in fact the Savannah Christmas celebration is the theme of the movie and setting for the murder in the book and movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil".

Here are some photos I took while in Savannah this February.

353.JPG366.JPG342.JPG

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Have You Been to Savannah?

Message 10 of 10

If so, what were your favorite things to see and do there?

If not, get inspired and find out what's great about Georgia's oldest city here.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies