Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Expedia

Message 11 of 16

I'm not a big Expedia fan. they have gotten better since you don't have to prepay for hotels as before.  I usually use them to check prices and then book directly with the vendor if possible.  I like travelocity for flights.  I booked a big trip to Europe and booked all my hotels through booking.com. I use cheapcruises.com if prices are lower than the cruise sites.  I just love to shop for travel.  So any new ones, I will look at.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

Hello, @georgiagirl47, thank you for reaching out again to AARP; we also received and responded to your recent email.  As AARP is not the travel provider it was necessary for us to contact the provider to gain a better understanding of what happened and in many instances, the provider (in this case the AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia) will contact you directly with their findings.  At this time, your concern is still pending review by the team at the AARP Travel Center (Expedia). Once their review has been completed you will be notified. We are sorry to hear about your experience and we thank you for providing your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to review this matter.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

There has not been a recent post about Expedia. I'm sure it's not because they are doing an excellent job. They are not.

I booked flights MSY-SEATAC, through Dallas and LAX in the month of August, 2016. My return flight was through LAX, so two days before 8/ 25 flight I decided I wanted to stay in LAX and visit family, returning to MSY on 8/29. I called Expedia and explained. She sold me ticket for 8/29, and I asked what about 2nd leg of flight on 8/25. She said don't worry about It as you won't be using it. I asked if it should be cancelled. She said no, something about $200 cancel fee, and it was more economical she said to just buy another ticket at $108.10, and that she did. When I checked in for 8/25 flight and inquired about my luggage meeting me in LAX, I was told since there was no cancellation of 2nd leg of my flight and federal law mandated luggage go to original destination. Upon calling Expedia to explain about luggage, I was told I missed AA deadline to cancel, and there would be no refund. I could not get her to understand that Expedia dropped the ball by not cancelling second leg, preventing my luggage from following me. I want Expedia to refund the cost of 2nd ticket as it was not my error or that of American Airlines(not this time). She said she would compile a complaint email for supervisory exam. I have been home one week and no response, so I emailed my complaint to Expedia and AARP. AARP because when it partners with companies who benefit from its' members there should be some oversight of the service. If you are having trouble with Expedia, please voice, email your dissatisfaction. AARP and Expedia cannot ignore us. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16
I have had an awful experience with the AARP Traveler Center through Expedia.  I made a reservation in Rome, Italy for two nights at a B&B as we are arriving two days before the apartment we rented will be available.  I got a confirmation email from them.  When I went on the web site to add my reservation to my trip itinerary it indicated it could not be found 
I called not only AARP Travel Center but also Expedia.  They kept saying that that was each other's confirmation number and that they showed no reservation for me either under my name, my address, my phone number, or the confirmation number I received from them ... unreal!  When I told them the last thing I wanted to do was to land in Rome, Italy and find that I had no reservaton for two nights, want to guess what I was told?  I probably just needed to call the B&B and double check with them that they had my reservation!!!  WOW -- now isn't THAT great customer service???  I have to make an international call to Rome to confirm a reservation that they cannot find!  And the really cute line on their email???  "Your reservation is booked.  No need to call us to confirm this reservation."  Hmmmm, why would they put that on there???  Probably because of what happened to me!!!

At any rate, after multiple calls to AARP Traveler Center and Expedia I finally gave up and called the B&B in Rome.  I did have a reservation and it was confirmed and the owner there was extremely nice about confirming the reservation.  He did not seem surprised by what had happened which tends to make me believe this is not the only time it has happened!!!

I will NEVER book through AARP Travel Center or Expedia again.  I have seen multiple, multiple complaints about Expedia and the program associated with AARP ... why does AARP keep a affiliation with Expedia???  Another "whooda" -- who the heck knows!!!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Expedia

Message 15 of 16
 I had a terrible experience with Expedia .Hours after making a Motel reservation, had to make a cancelation due to death . Expedia wouldn't allow me out of the reservation . Was able to make the originally plans after driving 300 miles, but only to find out upon arrival that my reservation were never made . 11:30 at night looking for another motel with a Popular Rodeo and 48 softball team in town .Looking back I see a reservation that was never made, can't cancel and Expedia in $105 for my reservation if I don't go. This looks like a scam by Expedia and I advise everyone not to use Expedia !!!!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Expedia

Message 15 of 16
 I had a terrible experience with Expedia .Hours after making a Motel reservation, had to make a cancelation due to death . Expedia wouldn't allow me out of the reservation . Was able to make the originally plans after driving 300 miles, but only to find out upon arrival that my reservation were never made . 11:30 at night looking for another motel with a Popular Rodeo and 48 softball team in town .Looking back I see a reservation that was never made, can't cancel and Expedia in $105 for my reservation if I don't go. This looks like a scam by Expedia and I advise everyone not to use Expedia !!!!
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users