Take the IQ Quiz: How Prepared Are You to Avoid Scams and Fraud? Earn Double Reward Points!

Info Seeker

Re: Ever been guilty of leaving vacation days on the table?

Message 1 of 23

I worked for 25 yrs and had a lot of vacation days. I became very sick with 2 cancers! Bladder and breast! I am also a diabetic and after my cancers I developed diabetic lumbosacral plexopathy which is the loss of nerve and  muscle in my lower extremitys! I was forced into retirement and lost vacation days! Since I was unemployed, my husband had to work 2 jobs to make ends meet! I would love to get away to releve the stress in our household! Thank you for allowing me to share my story. 

Maria

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 23
Take a day dr phil
Im eileen gaeta i havent been able to take a day for myself my career for the city of ny law enforcement cancer hear attack and lost my mom. I need a day to relax my mind
Classyladie6@aol.com
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 3 of 23

I always had a high balance of vacation & sick leave, but I never allowed myself to lose vacation.   When it got to "use or lose" vacation time, I used it.   We could carry sick leave, but vacation time & various other personal leave was capped.   Often various supervisors would tell me I had to use so many days or I'd lose it, so we would schedule my time off, so I would not lose it.   Aside from the fact I had earned that time, I learned, especially in the last few years I commuted before I retired, how important a mental health day or a day to do something I enjoyed was important.  

Super Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 23

I would never pass up even a second of vacation time.  It would be to the advantage of the employer and they don’t deserve it.  I would be more liable to sneak a few extra days!

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 23

I never used vacation time since it didn't expire, but when I retired I took all my vacation time that was on the books.  I stopped working two months before I retired to use my vacation pay, and then I officially retired and started getting my retirement benefits.  While I was using my vacation time, I continued to receive my regular benefits.  It worked out well for me.

Community Manager

Message 6 of 23

How can we help you, @Jfree69

Info Seeker +

Message 7 of 23
I need help
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 23

Are you kidding me??? THEY are gonna pay you for NOT coming to work!!! And yes, I was paid for vacation time I didn't use when I retired, butt NEVER lost vaca time while I was working. Too many people think they are too important to miss work. Guess what? Most aren't missed when they are gone. 

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 23

I was a school district superintendent at several locales around the country.  I cannot imagine treating any employee in that manner.  I do know that in Michigan the Atty General's office would have obtained your money for you.

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 23

I worked for a school district in northwest Missouri which would let you accumulate your sick days.  When you retired or left the district, they were supposed to pay you $100 for each day.  When I left and requested my 18 1/2 days owed me, they did not pay me.  So I guess I left them on the table.  I could not get anyone to help me get the money owed.