Take 25 percent off the cost of the award-winning AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code ‘BHM’ for savings.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Describe Your "Great Escape"

Message 1 of 16

I would go to Israel and take my daughter and son.  I loved Israel and cried when I had to leave.  I can only say that it would change my children's lives.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

National Park Tour.

I would take 6 months or more-much more-and travel by RV to every national park in the continental US and Alaska. This would be a re-do of a simular adventure I took in 1970.  Back then it was in a VW bus, gas was 25 cents/gal. and there were less than 30 national parks.  I've been to 21 so far.  Today there are well over 50 parks.

I would go with my wife of almost 50 years and stay in campgrounds mostly with an occasional motel/hotel to pamper ourselves.

With our motto 'Half the fun is getting there' we would meander our way around the country and see what there is to see and get there when we're there.  No schedule.  Just see the U.S. of A.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

We have had a couple of vacations I would call 'great escapes'.

One occurred a few years ago when the heavens coincided and all of us (my two working daughters and my wife and I) all had the good fortune to have free time at the same time. We ventured to Paris to attend a family wedding and spent a remarkable ten days in the city. We visited a lot of amazing museums (yes we saw "Mona" -- but the Louvre is much more than that and so beautiful!), we visited Giverney and even though the weather was a bit drizzly, it was wonderful and so beautiful. The city is so lovely, the bakeries are breath-takingly gorgeous visually, never mind tasty!. It is important to  realize that since Paris was never bombed in WWII, all the buildings are intact, maintained and still lovely. We rented an apartment via AIRBNB which turned out well, was nicely situated for convenience and we were able to walk everywhere.  (The wedding, by the way, was my nephew's and about 35 people from the US ventured over to attend.  His mom, my sister-in-law, hosted an eventing cocktail cruise, complete with beautiful hors d'oeuvres on the Seine, ending, on purpose for sure, near the Eiffel tower as they lit it for the regular evening light show.

As you can see by reading, it was a truly lovely vacation away from all the hurly burly of the US and daily grind.

We were so grateful to be able to go, and come/go safely.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

A 2-week back-to-back cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

I would love to spend an intire month, traveling through the great state of West Virginia. From Charleston all the way up to Morgantown. Maybe even see my Mountaineers play Oklahoma or Texas while there. 

Living in S.W. Florida means that I haven't seen a mountain in so long that I have almost forgotten what they look like. 

Can't understand why anyone would want to travel abroad, when there is so much to see herar in this great nation. 

Lets Goooooo Mountaineers!!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

A smooth plane ride in first class to Sydney  Australia for a 20day stay near a beach and nightlife and great food jointsHeart

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

I would love to go back to the Amalfi coast of Italy in May or June as it is still not crowded then. The views of the Mediterranean are spectacular and the local food specialties are delicious. We'd fly to Naples and have a driver take us to the San Pietro hotel in Positano, an incredible place built into the side of a mountain. Each day we'd take a tour of some of the local towns and villages like Priaino, Amalfi, and Ravello. Of course, we'd stop for lunch in each of these places and enjoy the local character of the surroundings. Positano, itself, would also be mainly on our agenda and walking down the narrow streets all the way to the beach is an adventure in itself. The entire area is very romantic and we would enjoy each other's company and truly feel our love for each other. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

My perfect 2 weeks or more would be spent in a log cabin home on the shore someplace of Big Whitefish Lake (part of a 7 lake chain of lakes) in Crow Wing County Minnesota. Good beach for getting a sun tan, good fishing daily in a boat or early in AM and sundown in evening, casting top water lures to catch Northern Pike while wading in the lakeshore. Resting when not feeling like fishing and enjoying the fact that Family will be there. Can also sneak up to Leech Lake for some Musky fishing. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Nova Scotia

Message 9 of 16

I like simple stay-in-one-place vacations close to nature where I can just "be" there to really get to know a place with time to read a book under a shade tree, and take a walk along a river and bird watch as long as I want. A place to hear local music is nice and eat local food (not foody food).

Favorite: Summers in Nova Scotia: Ceilidh music on the air; Rubber Band Frogs sitting on yellow pond lillies in a beautiful bog; Friendly locals; good food; evening Ceilidh dances; great bird watching; and so much more.

I would stay in Margaree Valley because it's lovely. It's so nice to just be there and soak in the green beauty. You can just step outside your lodge for a morning walk along the river.

I would drive because there is so much to see all around Nova Scotia for day tripping.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

I would take our RV and go to Key West, get on US1 and take all the way to Maine, then turn left onto US2 and go all the way to Washington state, turn left again and take the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Barbara, and final left turn and make my way to Texas to pick up US90 back to Florida.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users