The AARP Fraud Resource Center can help you spot and avoid common scams. Visit today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: $5,000 Ultimate Girlfriends Getaway Contest

Message 3711 of 6,080

For several years myself and two other women worked together for a public agency.  We became friends but I moved in 1987.  However, we have continued to be close friends and see each other several times a year.  We are all retired now and the oldest of us, Maureen Wallace, is having some health issues and declining memory.  When it became difficult for Maureen to live alone, the second friend, Patricia Hansen, moved into a 18' travel trailer on Maureen's property to help her maintain her home and independence.  Patricia was having a hard time making ends meet and it was a win/win for both of them.   Both are financially independent but neither have "extra" funds, which is typical for us retirees.  During our working years, our greatest pleasure was traveling ever couple of years to the Oregon Coast for two or three days and spending blessed time at the ocean, usually just the three of  us.  On our last trip, several years ago, we also took Patricia's elderly mother, it was one of her last wishes, to see the ocean again - she was amazing and wonderful and we created great memories, only to lose her with in the next several months.  Now, one of Maureen's few desires is to see the ocean one more time and walk the beaches.  She knows she is slipping and want to go one last time, just the three of us again.   It would give me the greatest of pleasures to be able to take both Maureen and Patricia to the Oregon Coast one last time, without a financial burden on all of us.  While  I am slightly more financially secure then they are, it's not the kind of security that allows me to provide the trip for the three of us.  I would love to rent a van and  we would drive to the central Oregon Coast, between Depot Bay and Newport, to a small ocean front motel called Moolack Shores, where we always stay - it is quaint, comfortable and has a kitchen and great deck with wonderful ocean views.   On the trip, we would stop and explore our favorite art galleries and junk stores (we love junking, hense the van!!)  A week would allow us days of long beach walks, sunrises and sunsets, exploring for fossils (the area has great fossil hunting beaches).  I would treat them to fresh crab from the docks in Newport and we would take it back to the motel and make a huge crab salad.  I would take them to our favorite restaurant on the bay one night for dinner in Depot Bay.  But the best part would be sitting on the deck and watching both Maureen and Patricia be totally content, happy and child like walking the beach every day.  Personally, I would be on the beach at or before dawn, long before either of them are up, walking through the fog and early morning chill, being totally at peace with myself and the world.  This would be my dream getaway, to gift the trip to Patricia and Maureen.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3712 of 6,080

@AARPLynne wrote:

Tell us all about your dream getaway with your gal pals and you could win $5,000. To enter for a chance to win the grand prize, your story must include:

1. Where would you go?
2. Who would you go with and why?
3. How long would you stay?

4. What two activities would you do?

A panel of AARP Travel Experts will pick their favorite entry and that lucky winner will receive $5,000 towards the Ultimate Girlfriends’ Getaway!

Don’t have all the answers? Find inspiration by exploring the AARP Trip Finder and Destination Guides and you may be one step closer to taking your ultimate girlfriends’ getaway!

Enter today, contest ends November 19, 2015. See Official Rules and Terms of Service

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3713 of 6,080

asfdwasdf

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3714 of 6,080

I would love to go to San Francisco, California with my girlfriends. I went with my grandparents when I was 15 and have always wanted to go back. My friends, Livia and Jennifer and I love to go on get-aways together. We always have a good time shopping, eating, sight-seeing and relaxing. We always laugh a lot and don't ever have trouble agreeing on what to do.  It's always fun when it's just the girls so we can shop til we drop if we want to (which we usually do!). I remember taking a bus tour of San Francisco, but would love to explore on our own, so that we could stop wherever we wanted to. Eating at the wharf, seeing the sights in Chinatown, riding the trolly cars and driving over the Golden Gate Bridge would be top of the list as things that we would do! I would love to be able to stay for a whole week.  We usually only get to stay a couple of nights when we get away.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3715 of 6,080

Maui, HI with Sandy and Terri for 10 days. Spa treatments, music at that place on the Green (can't remember full name, but it's Irish), swimming (pool and ocean), Yoga at Maui Yoga Path, Snorkeling, visiting with another friend, Karin (who now lives on Maui), and slowing way, way, down. Oh, and don't forget lovely dinners and drinks at beach front restaurants. Naps during the hottest part of the day are required. And I'm sure we'll think of more or less to do as we continue to R&R.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3716 of 6,080

nice vacation

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3717 of 6,080

My girlfriend trip would be a 10 day cruise of the Hawaiian islands with my two sisters, and my best friends Vanessa, Terri, and Fran!  We would hopefully get to spend a day on each island, experiencing Hawaiian culture.  The main things I'd want us to do is visit a banana and/or pineapple "plantation", go to a luau, learn Hawaiian dancing, go snorkeling, hopefully parasailing, and just enjoy the tropical weather and sandy beaches.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3718 of 6,080

i would go to hawaii,with my bff my cousin cheryl..we would snorkel and hulu dance

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3719 of 6,080

Italy absolutely no doubt!  Travel from the wine tsting countryside to thr canels of Venice. Share the beauty, passion, and romance of a country that is rich with history and mystery.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3720 of 6,080
liked the trip had fun
Kudos
Views