Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Choose for me

Message 1 of 10

@ManicProgressive, the Olympic Peninsula and Olympic National Park in Washington state are wonderful places to vacation; mountains, waterfalls, hikes, the rain forest, ocean beaches and a ferry ride.  With a short detour on the way, you can visit  Point No Point lighthouse.   Astoria, Oregon at the mouth of the Columbia River  is also another lovely place to visit; 2 lighthouses, parks, ocean beaches, hikes.  Both have temperate summer climates (okay you might run into rain but not so much during the summer) and fantastic scenery.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

@ManicProgressive I've heard that the Bay Area can experience fog in the mornings during summertime, referred to as the "marine layer". You may want to bring some layers for these cooler mornings. It's always a good idea to start checking the local, extended forecast when traveling to help decide what to bring.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

Thank you @ManicProgressive for your question about Expedia travel prices. If you were using the AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia it is our understanding that they may not always be the lowest in the market place for every situation. The travel industry today is extraordinarily competitive. This especially is true for travel aggregators, such as AARP Travel Program provided by Expedia. Many different factors can influence pricing, and any or all of these can cause pricing to fluctuate, even within a short period of time. One of the advantages of travel aggregators is that they can often offer some of the lowest prices available. One of the down sides is that these prices can rarely be guaranteed beyond the exact purchase time. In addition, as an AARP member, there are no booking fees on flights, hotels, cruises or car rentals when booking through the AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

However, I just tried Expedia to find a travel package. $1171 per person. Just saw AARP has a “travel center” on Expedia. The price through there is $1231 per person. Why would it be more? 😟

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

Leaning toward Santa Cruz and San Francisco.....

I haven’t been in 20 years. Summer is fine weather wise, right? When is their rainy season?

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

What a fun idea, @ManicProgressive, to have the Online Community help choose your summer vacation! I'd like to share some information that you may find helpful. 

For some general ideas, you may want to check out AARP's destinations page. San Francisco is featured which has some ideas for Marin County in Northern California. And while a bit away from Santa Cruz, Sonoma is lovely in the summer. In addition, we just did a great article on Bermuda so maybe that would tip the scales in that direction. 

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

If you like lotsa humidity - Bermuda would be the place.  For fresh, clean air, incredible vistas, mind-blowing scenery - Grand Canyon or CA coast is the place for you.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

So was thinking about Puerto Rico too. I’d like to go to Vieques and see the bioluminescent bays.   But I think that island doesn’t have enough to hold my husband’s  Interest.  I’ll have to look into it more.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

I'm thinking the California coast.

Grand Canyon would be nice if you take the tour to the bottom and maybe spend time there (any places to stay down there?

I was just thinking of Bermuda myself only a day or so ago. As I'm in Florida, Bermuda is right in my neighborhood (I was thinking of Bermuda/Bahamas/Jamaica/etc) meaning it would be close and inexpensive travel. But then beach trips aren't really my thing (my city is right on a top two beach and I rarely go). Still might be interesting. Went to Puerto Rico a few years ago, a year or so before the big hurricane. That was great. Yankee dollars, Yankee language, only a 3 hr flight. Yet it was like a warm, hospitable exotic foreign country. Stayed in Old Town San Juan (not the beach resorts) and went around the island; nice.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Choose for me

Message 10 of 10

Bermuda

Grand Canyon

Santa Cruz/Northern CA coast

summer trip, which may influence location.

Thanks!

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users