Periodic Contributor

Can you cancel and get a refund when the hotel is gross?

I tried to cancel a second night of a hotel itinerary because the hotel was not satisfactory. 

#1 they had already charged my card, even though the AARP Expedia website said pay on arrival. 

#2 The mattress smelled like urine, the lamp was dusty, the wall heater was filthy, and even the drapes had a large dirt stain. The hallway smelled like Marijuana and cigarettes. In short, it did not match the pics and description.

Upon waking up, I went to the desk and tried to cancel the second night night, but the desk clerk just brushed me off. I called AARP-Expedia, who then called the hotel. Again, the refused to refund me. I left and found another hotel, because no way was I going to sleep on a mattress that smelled like urine.

I lost that money, and now  I’ll struggle to pay my house payment. I’m disappointed with AARP Expedia and AARP. Not sure I should ever book with them again.

had a similar experience on same trip - the hotel was nothing like represented on the site, plus they were doing remodeling and it felt very unsafe.

Regular Contributor

If you paid by credit card then contact your credit card company and file a dispute.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Good idea, thanks.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Good idea, thank you.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Did they try to offer a different room? 

I’d write a review in Expedia and/or AARP, where this hotel is listed, and just tell the truth.  Twitter is also good for getting responses.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Good idea about an AARP Expedia review and twitter also.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

No, in hindsight I could have, but It really was gross.

0 Kudos