Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 81 of 95

@sestanton1 wrote:

Unfortunately, I am on a tight, fixed income and cannot afford the shot. My pharmacist said my part of the cost would be $200. Seems like a small amount

to pay for prevention, but not on my budget, although I have Medicare Supplemental insurance.  

It is covered by Part D - your prescription drug plan.  It is NOT covered by Medicare Part A or Part B thus your supplemental has nothing to do with it.

Find out how much your portion of the shingles shot you will have to pay if you go to a preferred pharmacy on your plan.

Make sure you tell them you want the newest one - it is better and I assume it is already on the market.  Zostavax is the old one, Shingrix is the new and better med

Are you eligible for "EXTRA HELP"?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 95

Unfortunately, I am on a tight, fixed income and cannot afford the shot. My pharmacist said my part of the cost would be $200. Seems like a small amount

to pay for prevention, but not on my budget, although I have Medicare Supplemental insurance.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 95

Yes

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine? YES!

Message 84 of 95
Misdinosed at hospital had pain for 14 years. Will shot help
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine? YES!

Message 85 of 95

We baby boomers all had "shots" as a child. Immunizations are very important to babies and adults. Why would you NOT get the vaccine? Preventive medicine is very important in these times of contatagious viruses. I want to do all I can to protect myself from everything possible.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 95
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 95

Thanks, AARPLynn,

Yes, some stuff does get by me - this is good to know for several reasons

From your link:

GlaxoSmithKline said the price of its shingles vaccine, called Shingrix, will be $280 for the required two shots. Merck & Co.'s one-shot Zostavax costs $223. Most insurance plans cover it.

Now that there is competition - perhaps the price will come down but since it seems the new one is better (?) the price for this one might stay high or go higher if the demand is there.

I don't think this new vaccine would have ever been developed except for the money which Merck reportedly made off Zostavax especially since Medicare promoted it as well as the CDC.

. . . . and it has a better (?) efficacy rate than Zostavax -

Zostavax reduced the incidence of herpes zoster by 70% in 50–59-year-olds, by 64% in 60–69-year-olds and by 38% in people aged 70 and older in its pivotal trials. Shingrix vaccine provided 97% protection against herpes zoster in patients aged 50 years and over.

The new one (Shingrix) ia also a non-live, recombinant subunit vaccine.  This differs from Zostavax which is a live vaccine and where prep and injection route by the pharmacy giving it is imperative.  That's the reason my doc would not give me an Rx - he said for these specification, he wanted to make sure it was given correctly so I had it in his office.  Zostavax was given subcutaneously, Shingrix is give intramuscular.

This sounds great all the way around -

Thanks for the heads up.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 95

@GailL1 - Yes, my PPO insurance paid 100% for shingles vaccine, and it is expensive. Now it happens that my MA HMO plan has it listed as a tier 3 on their formulary, but it isn't covered by regular Medicare alone. That seems odd since shingles is typically seen in people over 60. However, my husband had a shingles outbreak at 50-ish, and he's always been a healthy guy and an avid runner.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 95

Hello @GailL1, you make a good point and after reading your post I edited the OP to specify that this is a new vaccine. Indeed, this is the second shingles vaccine on the market. The article, FDA Approves New Vaccine Against Painful Shingles, talks about this being a "...a new, more effective vaccine..." 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 95

Had my shingles vaccine shortly after they started giving them a couple of years ago. I’m almost certain my private insurance paid for it since I wasn’t Medicare age yet. I was diagnosed with the shingles about 17 years ago. Rash on the side of my chest that extended around to my back and my ribs were very very tender for a couple of weeks. Don’t remember what kind of prescriptions I was prescribed but I know there was no such thing as a shingles vaccine back then.

I’m a believer in vaccines. Just had my flu shot (high dose for those over 65) today and my Pneumovax23 (for 65years or older) last week. Health department told me this Pneumovax23 shot should be the last Pneumococcal shot I ever need. It’ll take me to my grave.  

Kudos
Views