With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 21 of 87

In late September/2018, wife and I got our second of two shingles shots. All four shots cost us, but we wanted to be protected and her PCP highly recommended it, as did my VA PCP. It took around a week for the pain to really subside, but it finally did go away. 

BTW, I'm 69 and she is 70. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 87
YES
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 87

The first shot caused that kind of pain for me. But the second didn't. You should get the 2nd shot. Better than getting shingles. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 87

My BC/BS paid 100% of the vaccine for me. Not "all" don't pay.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 87

I just got the second dose of the vaccine. You need the 2nd one within 6 months of the first. There is a shortage, go to your doctor or pharmacy and get on their waitin list. Walgreens is puttin people who need the 2nd vaccine ahead of those who need the 1st. I had the same side effects as you with the vaccine, but actually had a mild case of chicken pox from it. But I'll do that over having shingles any day!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 87

At my primary care doctor's recommendation, I had the new shingles vaccine three days ago. I'd had the older vaccine. Prior to both, I'd had shingles. Yes, following the new vaccination my upper arm was sore and reddened, but it is subsiding. I would do anything to prevent or lessen another bout with shingles. I intend to go back in a couple of months and get the second dose. I am blessed with robust medical coverage and there was no co-pay.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 87

All BC/BS (Blue Cross/Blue Sheild) carriers don pay for the shingles vaccine, costly $250-300! Nore does Medicare pay for it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 87

Absolutely !  As both retired nurses, my mother (76) and I (56) got the series together. In our personal and professional roles we both knew the wicked effects of the disease. Does the injection hurt?  Yes it does. It burns on administration and the injection site remained sore for about 48 hours. Nothing Advil did not manage. Certainly no where near the pain and debilitation of an actual case of shingles not to mention the relentless pain of post-herpetic neuralgia. My mother had Medicare and Tri Care for life. I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield and neither one of us paid a penny for the series. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 87

NO.  I had the first one and it was just too painful.  My shoulder felt just like it did when I tore my rotator cuff.  Couldn't use my arm for days.  I won't go through pain like that again.  Was at my docs 2 days ago to get my prolia injection and I remembered he had told me that when I come for that one he was going to give me my 2nd shingles... I told him to forget about it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 87

@MaryV65592

With some plans the amount one has to pay initially coves BOTH doses so check with your plan or perhaps the plans preferred pharmacy - hopefully that is who you used for the initial dose - most likely it should be cheapest there.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views