Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Retired Community Manager

Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

The FDA recently approved a [new] shingles vaccine. Would you consider being vaccinated for shingles?

Periodic Contributor

I had the single shingles shot at age 60. That was all that was recommended then. Now I am 72 and told I need two shots. I had no bad effects from the single shot, so I would welcome ththe

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Oh heck yeah, you do NOT want shingles. 

Retired Moderator

Thank you for your comment.  I am not sure anyone would!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

HELL NO!!!

I had the first one a year ago and I was in severe pain for days.  I thought I had torn my rotator cuff again until I realized I had gotten the shot.

I am due for the 2nd one and told Doc that I will not get it.

The nurse said her mom had the same reaction.  She still got the shingles but a mild case since she had received the first shot.

I will take my chances over getting the 2nd shot.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

No ! I had a mild case of shingles years ago, no replapse since. Dr. didn't suggest a shot. I don't get flu shots, had a pneumonia shot once. Don't know if I need more than one shot for pnemonia, Dr. hasn't said anything about anything ! I was diagnosed with osteoporosis years ago, & the dr. prescribed Fosamax. I declined. Since then I heard of class action suits against the makers of this drug-women who'd been taking Fosamax for a couple years or more were experiencing bone loss. What's With That ?? Later on, the dr. asked if I had filled that earlier prescription. When I told her about the lawsuit, she seemed surprised, said that drug was still on the market & still being prescribed. Again, I ask-What's With That !!??

Excuse me for having very little faith in the medical profession.

Sandee2
Honored Social Butterfly

@ss11943859 wrote:

No ! I had a mild case of shingles years ago, no replapse since. Dr. didn't suggest a shot. I don't get flu shots, had a pneumonia shot once. Don't know if I need more than one shot for pnemonia, Dr. hasn't said anything about anything ! I was diagnosed with osteoporosis years ago, & the dr. prescribed Fosamax. I declined. Since then I heard of class action suits against the makers of this drug-women who'd been taking Fosamax for a couple years or more were experiencing bone loss. What's With That ?? Later on, the dr. asked if I had filled that earlier prescription. When I told her about the lawsuit, she seemed surprised, said that drug was still on the market & still being prescribed. Again, I ask-What's With That !!??

Excuse me for having very little faith in the medical profession.

You can get shingles again  - it can flare up at anytime - the new vaccination is better than the previous one - longer lasting and the new one is not a "live vaccination".  Medicare Part D covers it as your plan describes.  The new one (Shingrix) is a two-part vaccine; taken several weeks apart..  Many pharmacies have it on backorder right now - usually they work from a waiting list when it is available.

Older Adults Need Two Pneumococcal Vaccines of different makeup - these will protect you against 36 different strains of the pneumococcal bacteria.

CDC recommends 2 pneumococcal vaccines for all adults 65 years or older.

• You should receive a dose of PCV13 first, followed by a dose of PPSV23, at least 1 year later.
  • If you already received any doses of PPSV23, get the dose of PCV13 at least 1 year after the most recent PPSV23 dose.
  • If you already received a dose of PCV13 at a younger age, CDC does not recommend another dose.

PCV13 protects against 13 strains of pneumococcal bacteria and PPSV23 protects against 23 strains of pneumococcal bacteria. Both vaccines provide protection against illnesses like meningitis and bacteremia. PCV13 also provides protection against pneumonia.

CDC - Pneumococcal Vaccines for Adults

Medicare PART B pays for BOTH -

Medicare Part B covers 2 different pneumococcal shots. Part B covers the first shot at any time and a different, second shot if it’s given at least one year after the first shot.
Your costs in Original Medicare

You pay nothing for pneumococcal shots if your doctor or other qualified health care provider accepts assignment

Medicare.gov - Pneumococcal Vaccinations

Can't help you on the Fosamax - I took another variety for a year or so but it made my TMJ worse and my hips would just ache - common side effects - so I stopped taking any bone density meds.

Here is the last I read on the lawsuit -

Reuters 06/28/2018 - U.S. Supreme Court to hear Merck appeal over Fosamax suits

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would definitely take the vaccine. I had shingles several years ago and, believe me, I'd do almost anything to avoid another case. They are very painful and take months to completely recover from them.  Having them was miserable.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ss11943859 

@GailL1 

Thank you for the info on the Fosamax. My doctor had me on this drug for at least 4 years, previously had Actonel for 3 years with a year off in between. Over the years, my bone density hasn't changed much with either med. There was a slight improvement the first year or two and then it dropped a bit and stayed about the same.

Last year I was having stomach and esophagus issues. It turned out to be the Fosamax which was stopped and Dr put me on generic Prilosec to aid digestive system.  Everything is much better now and not taking any osteoporosis med at this time. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Not yet.  People on both sides of my family have had Shingles.  There was no vaccine available.  But my doctor is still reluctant to say it is safe.  So I will just wait for a while longer.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Agree
0 Kudos

Not getting the second one, had a bad reaction to the first shot, whole body felt like it was burning for about 15 minutes, light flashes and dimmed vision,  profuse sweating,nausea 

Periodic Contributor

In late September/2018, wife and I got our second of two shingles shots. All four shots cost us, but we wanted to be protected and her PCP highly recommended it, as did my VA PCP. It took around a week for the pain to really subside, but it finally did go away. 

BTW, I'm 69 and she is 70. 

Contributor

At my primary care doctor's recommendation, I had the new shingles vaccine three days ago. I'd had the older vaccine. Prior to both, I'd had shingles. Yes, following the new vaccination my upper arm was sore and reddened, but it is subsiding. I would do anything to prevent or lessen another bout with shingles. I intend to go back in a couple of months and get the second dose. I am blessed with robust medical coverage and there was no co-pay.

I just got the second dose of the vaccine. You need the 2nd one within 6 months of the first. There is a shortage, go to your doctor or pharmacy and get on their waitin list. Walgreens is puttin people who need the 2nd vaccine ahead of those who need the 1st. I had the same side effects as you with the vaccine, but actually had a mild case of chicken pox from it. But I'll do that over having shingles any day!

Absolutely !  As both retired nurses, my mother (76) and I (56) got the series together. In our personal and professional roles we both knew the wicked effects of the disease. Does the injection hurt?  Yes it does. It burns on administration and the injection site remained sore for about 48 hours. Nothing Advil did not manage. Certainly no where near the pain and debilitation of an actual case of shingles not to mention the relentless pain of post-herpetic neuralgia. My mother had Medicare and Tri Care for life. I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield and neither one of us paid a penny for the series. 

Periodic Contributor

I will just take my chances.  I have never known anyone who ever had shingles.  Now if it were that common I would think I would know a few.

0 Kudos
Contributor

All BC/BS (Blue Cross/Blue Sheild) carriers don pay for the shingles vaccine, costly $250-300! Nore does Medicare pay for it.

My BC/BS paid 100% of the vaccine for me. Not "all" don't pay.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

NO.  I had the first one and it was just too painful.  My shoulder felt just like it did when I tore my rotator cuff.  Couldn't use my arm for days.  I won't go through pain like that again.  Was at my docs 2 days ago to get my prolia injection and I remembered he had told me that when I come for that one he was going to give me my 2nd shingles... I told him to forget about it.

0 Kudos

The first shot caused that kind of pain for me. But the second didn't. You should get the 2nd shot. Better than getting shingles. 

Contributor

YES
Contributor

Yes, In fact two weeks ago, I had the first vaccination as the doctors office said Medicare would cover it but yesterday, I found out that it is through part D of Medicare and so cost me $282.00 for the first dose .  This is because I did not meet my drug deductible yet.-and will not meet it in this calendar year.  Even if I had met the deductible, I would have had a large co pay as this drug is in the top pay 

tier of covered drugs !    I am stuck with the full cost !  I do not intend to get the second dose as I will again have to take care of the deductible and co pay so even if I find it for less at a drugstore, I will have to pay it all.  Just be careful or you will be stuck (literally) as I was ! !  

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaryV65592

With some plans the amount one has to pay initially coves BOTH doses so check with your plan or perhaps the plans preferred pharmacy - hopefully that is who you used for the initial dose - most likely it should be cheapest there.

Contributor

What drug stopres in West Los Angeles have the shingles shot?  I am on several waiting list but have never heard from any of these outlets.  Also on the VA list but have not heard from it eiher.

I just turned 72 & have been thinking about the shingles shot BUT ran into a brick wall on the PRICE. I was told it was $200.00 & I would think anyone on SSI might have a problem paying for it. It might be good for us but if we cant pay for it it is no good at all.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jepreuss wrote:

I just turned 72 & have been thinking about the shingles shot BUT ran into a brick wall on the PRICE. I was told it was $200.00 & I would think anyone on SSI might have a problem paying for it. It might be good for us but if we cant pay for it it is no good at all.

If you are on SSI (Supplemental Security Income) then you are most likely on Medicaid - Medicaid will cover it.

If you meant - Social Security Old Age Insurance - then you most likely have Medicare and this vaccination is covered under your Part D plan - yes, your out of pocket could be $ 200 - it depends on the plan.  It is a (2) shot immunization normally given at a pharmacy by a qualified person.

How much is being protected against Shingles worth ?   P R I C E L E S S -

If you are a low income senior with Medicare with some sort of extra medicine help from your state - they most likely will cover it - check with your state.

Contributor

Yes I would. I have seen shingles up close and personal. My uncle and my daughter’s husband had shingles. It is extremely painful. My uncle almost lost his vision as it followed the line across his forehead. My shots were put off because my husband’s immune system was compromised and the shot contained live virus which could have been transferred to him. He passed away. So now I am going to get my shot ASAP.

Regular Contributor

No.  According to my PCP there is still some danger in the vaccine.  Let me say I am FOR vaccination.  I got all the vaccinations I needed for school and so did my children.  I have no autistic children, just for the record.  But I cannot in good faith get the shingles vaccine.  Two of my grandparents and my father all had shingles, and by all reports suffered greatly.  But I can't take the chance of proven side effects. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

it's all a personal choice.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes - the new vacvine is 10x more effective than the first one. I have already had the first dose and am awaiting the second.  The pharmaceutical industry, in its infinite wisdom, has done such a good job of promoting the Shindrix vaccine, that they have RUN OUT of it.  Now, we have to wait until they make more.  My sis-in-law is a nurse practitioner and says,  "Get thee to your doc and get this much better vaccine, even if you had the original old version." 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP