Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 91 of 95

@AARPLynne wrote:

The FDA recently approved a shingles vaccine. Would you consider being vaccinated for shingles?

Recently?  Seems like I got mine several years ago and yes, I did it because I have seen others suffer with shingles.

I have gotten ALL my immunizations - believe in them, not just for myself but the protection of others.

Got ALL (2) of my pneumonia immunizations that protect me from many different strains. Also got a complete Tdap because my last grand child was coming into the world.

BTW, MaVolta - Medicare Part D covers part of the cost of the shingles vaccine.

But I do believe that is one of the reason more seniors don't get it is because of the cost since it is rather pricey.  

I filed an appeal with my "other" insurer because I had to get the shingle immunization in my doctors office instead of a pharmacy.  I paid for it out of pocket but after a year of back and forth during the appeal process, they finally reimbursed me for the whole thing.  But it was just one of those things that you just had to fight for and have all kinds of documentation.

I don't know how much the shingles vaccine runs today under the different insurers.  But MaVolta is right - since the CDC recommends it at 60 - people could get it under their health coverage before going on Medicare, might cover more of the cost that way.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 95

Well, I'm a few years shy of 60, so it isn't something that's particularly recommended for me yet, but I'm with @ASTRAEA on this one. I think as long as my health and lifestyle* holds, I'll not get the vaccine (or flu shot). Later, say, when I'm 85 and perhaps beginning to become frail and therefore live in a condo or apt, well, that might be another thing altogether.

* No contact with children, very little contact with the public, super healthy with muscular, athletic build, so minimal risk of either getting or transmitting flu or shingles.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 95

No, not any more than I would get the flu vaccine; rather take my chances.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 95

Yes, and in fact I received the vaccine last year. I had chickenpox as a child. My mother had shingles and it was a horrible experience. I asked my doctor about the vaccine, and she agreed that I should have it, and to do it before I changed over to Medicare because Medicare would not pay for it. 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 95 of 95

The FDA recently approved a [new] shingles vaccine. Would you consider being vaccinated for shingles?

Kudos
Views
Replies