Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 11 of 95

@sb4053877 wrote:

Because so many parents are not getting their children vaccinated these days, chicken pox, measles and whooping cough are making a giant comeback.

Be very afraid of those people who have not been vaccinated - not the new shingles shot.

Medicare covers most of the cost.

Even getting some of your regular type immunizations updated is recommended by the CDC - especially if you are going to be around very young children or new grandchildren.  It also helps not having to worry if you step on a rusty nail cause you have had a tetanus update.

CDC - Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule for ages 19 years or older, United States, 2019

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 95

If you had chicken pox as a child - that virus is still in your body lying dormant.  If, like me, you are exposed to someone who has chicken pox; then, stressed or not, your virus very well could re-activate as shingles.

I was visiting family & friends in the UK and happened to meet someone who had chicken pox.  Was NOT stressed about anything.  Got shingles and could not get to my doc until after I returned to the US. 

Too late for any drugs to treat the shingles so now I have PHN (post herpetic neuralgia PERMANENTLY).

The new vaccine for shingles was highly recommended and is not made using a live virus like the older vaccine.  This new one is in two doses and has a protection rate of 90%.

The shingles follows a nerve path and some people get it where it follows the nerve up to their eyes.  Mine followed my sciatic nerve.

Because so many parents are not getting their children vaccinated these days, chicken pox, measles and whooping cough are making a giant comeback.

Be very afraid of those people who have not been vaccinated - not the new shingles shot.

Medicare covers most of the cost.

If you get shingles - all the soothing music in the world is not going to do any good - it's a virus you are dealing with.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 95

Absolutely Not! I believe it's brought on by Extreme Anxiety- Nerves.

My son had chicken pox when he was young and when his wife was a having a baby and after birth he became extremely agitated with all the pressure he was under.  He broke out with what looked like hives, big welts on his back, but then extreme itchiness.

He finally went to the doctor and the doctor told him he has shingles. What in the hell was that?  Never heard of it.  The medicine he took did not help with the Burning, he had to use Aloe Vera, the plant, which I peeled and put it on his back.  My son told me it's contagious.  That's another lie, never got it and I put it on his back for 5 days.

so, if your under Extreme Anxiety- go outside- put on a some soothing music, take deep breaths and pretend your in the most beautiful place ever, like at a beach, at a park, or a forest.  Make it a place where you enjoy going to!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 95

I recently had the 2 recommended shots. No problem, other than a sore arm. I know several people who have had shingles, including my mother and a cousin, who was 53 years old at the time. Not something I would want to be afflicted with.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 95

I would definitely take the vaccine. I had shingles several years ago and, believe me, I'd do almost anything to avoid another case. They are very painful and take months to completely recover from them.  Having them was miserable.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 95

I had the single shingles shot at age 60. That was all that was recommended then. Now I am 72 and told I need two shots. I had no bad effects from the single shot, so I would welcome the new ones, but my Medicare part D plan only pays half of the cost. Walmart pharmacy quoted $600 for the two shots. I guess I will have to take my chances not to have shingles again, like I did when I was 57.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 95

I had the single shingles shot at age 60. That was all that was recommended then. Now I am 72 and told I need two shots. I had no bad effects from the single shot, so I would welcome ththe

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 95

I will just take my chances.  I have never known anyone who ever had shingles.  Now if it were that common I would think I would know a few.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 95

HELL NO!!!

I had the first one a year ago and I was in severe pain for days.  I thought I had torn my rotator cuff again until I realized I had gotten the shot.

I am due for the 2nd one and told Doc that I will not get it.

The nurse said her mom had the same reaction.  She still got the shingles but a mild case since she had received the first shot.

I will take my chances over getting the 2nd shot.

Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 95

Thank you for your comment.  I am not sure anyone would!

Kudos
Views