Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 31 of 100

Not yet.  People on both sides of my family have had Shingles.  There was no vaccine available.  But my doctor is still reluctant to say it is safe.  So I will just wait for a while longer.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 100

What drug stopres in West Los Angeles have the shingles shot?  I am on several waiting list but have never heard from any of these outlets.  Also on the VA list but have not heard from it eiher.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 100

Not getting the second one, had a bad reaction to the first shot, whole body felt like it was burning for about 15 minutes, light flashes and dimmed vision,  profuse sweating,nausea 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 100

In late September/2018, wife and I got our second of two shingles shots. All four shots cost us, but we wanted to be protected and her PCP highly recommended it, as did my VA PCP. It took around a week for the pain to really subside, but it finally did go away. 

BTW, I'm 69 and she is 70. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 100
YES
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 100

The first shot caused that kind of pain for me. But the second didn't. You should get the 2nd shot. Better than getting shingles. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 100

My BC/BS paid 100% of the vaccine for me. Not "all" don't pay.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 100

I just got the second dose of the vaccine. You need the 2nd one within 6 months of the first. There is a shortage, go to your doctor or pharmacy and get on their waitin list. Walgreens is puttin people who need the 2nd vaccine ahead of those who need the 1st. I had the same side effects as you with the vaccine, but actually had a mild case of chicken pox from it. But I'll do that over having shingles any day!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 100

At my primary care doctor's recommendation, I had the new shingles vaccine three days ago. I'd had the older vaccine. Prior to both, I'd had shingles. Yes, following the new vaccination my upper arm was sore and reddened, but it is subsiding. I would do anything to prevent or lessen another bout with shingles. I intend to go back in a couple of months and get the second dose. I am blessed with robust medical coverage and there was no co-pay.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 100

All BC/BS (Blue Cross/Blue Sheild) carriers don pay for the shingles vaccine, costly $250-300! Nore does Medicare pay for it.

Kudos
Views