Do you or your loved ones suspect a scam? Report it now to the AARP Fraud Watch Network.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 31 of 92

At my primary care doctor's recommendation, I had the new shingles vaccine three days ago. I'd had the older vaccine. Prior to both, I'd had shingles. Yes, following the new vaccination my upper arm was sore and reddened, but it is subsiding. I would do anything to prevent or lessen another bout with shingles. I intend to go back in a couple of months and get the second dose. I am blessed with robust medical coverage and there was no co-pay.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 92

All BC/BS (Blue Cross/Blue Sheild) carriers don pay for the shingles vaccine, costly $250-300! Nore does Medicare pay for it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 92

Absolutely !  As both retired nurses, my mother (76) and I (56) got the series together. In our personal and professional roles we both knew the wicked effects of the disease. Does the injection hurt?  Yes it does. It burns on administration and the injection site remained sore for about 48 hours. Nothing Advil did not manage. Certainly no where near the pain and debilitation of an actual case of shingles not to mention the relentless pain of post-herpetic neuralgia. My mother had Medicare and Tri Care for life. I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield and neither one of us paid a penny for the series. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 92

NO.  I had the first one and it was just too painful.  My shoulder felt just like it did when I tore my rotator cuff.  Couldn't use my arm for days.  I won't go through pain like that again.  Was at my docs 2 days ago to get my prolia injection and I remembered he had told me that when I come for that one he was going to give me my 2nd shingles... I told him to forget about it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 92

@MaryV65592

With some plans the amount one has to pay initially coves BOTH doses so check with your plan or perhaps the plans preferred pharmacy - hopefully that is who you used for the initial dose - most likely it should be cheapest there.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 92

Yes, In fact two weeks ago, I had the first vaccination as the doctors office said Medicare would cover it but yesterday, I found out that it is through part D of Medicare and so cost me $282.00 for the first dose .  This is because I did not meet my drug deductible yet.-and will not meet it in this calendar year.  Even if I had met the deductible, I would have had a large co pay as this drug is in the top pay 

tier of covered drugs !    I am stuck with the full cost !  I do not intend to get the second dose as I will again have to take care of the deductible and co pay so even if I find it for less at a drugstore, I will have to pay it all.  Just be careful or you will be stuck (literally) as I was ! !  

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 92

@jepreuss wrote:

I just turned 72 & have been thinking about the shingles shot BUT ran into a brick wall on the PRICE. I was told it was $200.00 & I would think anyone on SSI might have a problem paying for it. It might be good for us but if we cant pay for it it is no good at all.

If you are on SSI (Supplemental Security Income) then you are most likely on Medicaid - Medicaid will cover it.

If you meant - Social Security Old Age Insurance - then you most likely have Medicare and this vaccination is covered under your Part D plan - yes, your out of pocket could be $ 200 - it depends on the plan.  It is a (2) shot immunization normally given at a pharmacy by a qualified person.

How much is being protected against Shingles worth ?   P R I C E L E S S -

If you are a low income senior with Medicare with some sort of extra medicine help from your state - they most likely will cover it - check with your state.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 92

I just turned 72 & have been thinking about the shingles shot BUT ran into a brick wall on the PRICE. I was told it was $200.00 & I would think anyone on SSI might have a problem paying for it. It might be good for us but if we cant pay for it it is no good at all.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 92

Yes I would. I have seen shingles up close and personal. My uncle and my daughter’s husband had shingles. It is extremely painful. My uncle almost lost his vision as it followed the line across his forehead. My shots were put off because my husband’s immune system was compromised and the shot contained live virus which could have been transferred to him. He passed away. So now I am going to get my shot ASAP.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 92

it's all a personal choice.

Kudos
Views