Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 41 of 95

I just turned 72 & have been thinking about the shingles shot BUT ran into a brick wall on the PRICE. I was told it was $200.00 & I would think anyone on SSI might have a problem paying for it. It might be good for us but if we cant pay for it it is no good at all.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 95

Yes I would. I have seen shingles up close and personal. My uncle and my daughter’s husband had shingles. It is extremely painful. My uncle almost lost his vision as it followed the line across his forehead. My shots were put off because my husband’s immune system was compromised and the shot contained live virus which could have been transferred to him. He passed away. So now I am going to get my shot ASAP.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 95

it's all a personal choice.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 95

No.  According to my PCP there is still some danger in the vaccine.  Let me say I am FOR vaccination.  I got all the vaccinations I needed for school and so did my children.  I have no autistic children, just for the record.  But I cannot in good faith get the shingles vaccine.  Two of my grandparents and my father all had shingles, and by all reports suffered greatly.  But I can't take the chance of proven side effects. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 95

I will talk to my physician 1st. If medicare does not cover it, then no, I will take my chances. Had zostafax yrs ago from my primary. So far so good. Too pricey. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 95

Yes - the new vacvine is 10x more effective than the first one. I have already had the first dose and am awaiting the second.  The pharmaceutical industry, in its infinite wisdom, has done such a good job of promoting the Shindrix vaccine, that they have RUN OUT of it.  Now, we have to wait until they make more.  My sis-in-law is a nurse practitioner and says,  "Get thee to your doc and get this much better vaccine, even if you had the original old version." 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 95
does Medicare cover this vaccine?
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 95
yes, I have only had the first shingles vaccine some years ago and didn't know there was a second, more affective one.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 95

Yes, but the two injections are not covered by my Medicare part D plan. 

At Wal-Mart Pharmacy there is a waiting list and the cost for each shot is 

$162 which totals $324. Very expensive for a fixed income.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 95

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@GailL1wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

Merck Admits Shingles Vaccine Can Cause Eye Damage…and Shingles

http://info.cmsri.org/the-driven-researcher-blog/merck-admits-shingles-vaccine-can-cause-eye-damage-...

That is about the OLD one, Zostavax.  

There is a new one called Shingrix and it is much, much better all the way around.

WebMD - New Shingles Vaccine

Of course, you or you and your doctor can make the decision.

Merck said the "old one" Zostavax was safe and many people caught Shingles from the (expensive) vaccine they pushed. Careful with the new one also, since Merck obviously doesn't care about the reactions. BTW, I am a Merck stockholder and I wrote them (then) CEO (Richard Clark) a letter about the reactions - no answer!

Yes, Zostavax was not completely effective but sometimes it was the result of how it was given.  Zostavax was a live vaccine and thus had to be stored at a specific temp in refrig. and then given when it reached a specific temp.  It was also suppose to be given sub-Q.  Many places did not give it correctly and of course, most patients didn't know the difference.

Shingrix, the new shingles vaccine, is not a live virus and has been shown to be much more effective.

Shringrix is not made by Merck, it is make by GSK, GlaxoSmithKline, a British pharmaceutical company.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views