Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Retired Community Manager

Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

The FDA recently approved a [new] shingles vaccine. Would you consider being vaccinated for shingles?

Periodic Contributor

I currently have post herpetic neuralgia from shingles.  

Is this new vaccine made with a live virus?  That is the reason my doctor advised AGAINST the previous vaccine.

Is this new one made with LIVE VIRUS?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sb4053877 wrote:

I currently have post herpetic neuralgia from shingles.  

Is this new vaccine made with a live virus?  That is the reason my doctor advised AGAINST the previous vaccine.

Is this new one made with LIVE VIRUS?

No, it is NOT live - it is a non living viral particle.

There are (2) doses given a few weeks apart.

There are key differences between the way Shingrix and Zostavax are designed. The new shingles vaccine contains an adjuvant, a substance that boosts the immune system’s response. This may be what makes Shingrix both more effective and longer-lasting, says Schaffner at Vanderbilt.

Unlike Shingrix, Zostavax contains live—although weakened—herpes zoster virus, so those with significantly weakened immune systems should not receive it. But because the new shingles vaccine contains a nonliving viral particle, it may ultimately be deemed appropriate for those with compromised immunity.

Consumer Reports,11/01/2017'-'New Shingles Vaccine FAQ

This was just the 1st reference which I found - there are many more -'some scientific, others for the layperson.

Talk to your doc about this one -'since it is (2) doses, I have no idea of the price -

hopefully it will be listed on formularies for 2018.  

I will ill check my coverage when I get a minute ( maybe after Thanksgiving).  Seems they are preferencing Shingrix over Zostavax and are recommending people get the new one even if they have gotten the other one - maybe after 5-years or so when Zostavax seems to lose some of its power.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

Talk to your doc about this one -'since it is (2) doses, I have no idea of the price -

hopefully it will be listed on formularies for 2018.  

I will ill check my coverage when I get a minute ( maybe after Thanksgiving).  Seems they are preferencing Shingrix over Zostavax and are recommending people get the new one even if they have gotten the other one - maybe after 5-years or so when Zostavax seems to lose some of its power.

I recently inquired at two different part D prescription plan companies about the Shingrix vaccine and both said they were intending to take a longer look at the Shingrix vaccine study and I guess probably the associated price too before they decide whether or not they will add it to their formularies in 2018. It’s just too new of a vaccine because when I typed Shingrix into the formulary search neither company documented it, but the phone reps knew about it.

They had no problem with the Zostavax vaccine its available any time with a $46 copay.

The CDC or FDA has suggested as long as it’s been 8 weeks between the Zostavax and Shingrix vaccine it shouldn’t be a problem but to check with your own doctor about your immune system. It’s been reported that after 5 years the Zostavax vaccine is only 35 percent effective.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Unfortunately, I am on a tight, fixed income and cannot afford the shot. My pharmacist said my part of the cost would be $200. Seems like a small amount

to pay for prevention, but not on my budget, although I have Medicare Supplemental insurance.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sestanton1 wrote:

Unfortunately, I am on a tight, fixed income and cannot afford the shot. My pharmacist said my part of the cost would be $200. Seems like a small amount

to pay for prevention, but not on my budget, although I have Medicare Supplemental insurance.  

It is covered by Part D - your prescription drug plan.  It is NOT covered by Medicare Part A or Part B thus your supplemental has nothing to do with it.

Find out how much your portion of the shingles shot you will have to pay if you go to a preferred pharmacy on your plan.

Make sure you tell them you want the newest one - it is better and I assume it is already on the market.  Zostavax is the old one, Shingrix is the new and better med

Are you eligible for "EXTRA HELP"?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would consider having another shingles shot. I have seen the outcome of what shingles can do. I believe I had a shot about 3 years ago.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was unable to get shingle vaccination, was not recommended for anyone who has had chemo. I received chemo treatment for non-hogdkins lymphoma which is in remission. Does the new vaccine adhere to the same warning? Would appreciate an answer.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Had my shingles vaccine shortly after they started giving them a couple of years ago. I’m almost certain my private insurance paid for it since I wasn’t Medicare age yet. I was diagnosed with the shingles about 17 years ago. Rash on the side of my chest that extended around to my back and my ribs were very very tender for a couple of weeks. Don’t remember what kind of prescriptions I was prescribed but I know there was no such thing as a shingles vaccine back then.

I’m a believer in vaccines. Just had my flu shot (high dose for those over 65) today and my Pneumovax23 (for 65years or older) last week. Health department told me this Pneumovax23 shot should be the last Pneumococcal shot I ever need. It’ll take me to my grave.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPLynne wrote:

The FDA recently approved a shingles vaccine. Would you consider being vaccinated for shingles?

Recently?  Seems like I got mine several years ago and yes, I did it because I have seen others suffer with shingles.

I have gotten ALL my immunizations - believe in them, not just for myself but the protection of others.

Got ALL (2) of my pneumonia immunizations that protect me from many different strains. Also got a complete Tdap because my last grand child was coming into the world.

BTW, MaVolta - Medicare Part D covers part of the cost of the shingles vaccine.

But I do believe that is one of the reason more seniors don't get it is because of the cost since it is rather pricey.  

I filed an appeal with my "other" insurer because I had to get the shingle immunization in my doctors office instead of a pharmacy.  I paid for it out of pocket but after a year of back and forth during the appeal process, they finally reimbursed me for the whole thing.  But it was just one of those things that you just had to fight for and have all kinds of documentation.

I don't know how much the shingles vaccine runs today under the different insurers.  But MaVolta is right - since the CDC recommends it at 60 - people could get it under their health coverage before going on Medicare, might cover more of the cost that way.

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 - Yes, my PPO insurance paid 100% for shingles vaccine, and it is expensive. Now it happens that my MA HMO plan has it listed as a tier 3 on their formulary, but it isn't covered by regular Medicare alone. That seems odd since shingles is typically seen in people over 60. However, my husband had a shingles outbreak at 50-ish, and he's always been a healthy guy and an avid runner.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix

Is the vaccine needed if you have had shingles. I strongly recommend everyone over 50 have the vaccine. I had the rash on my right side at my beltline from my bellybutton to the center of my back. The rash went away but after six months, i am still having nerve pain. I don't want to have it again if that is possible.

Periodic Contributor

I had shingles down my sciatic nerve in 2006. Because I was out of the country, I didn't get to my doctor until it was too late to use drugs. Consequently, I have PHN (Post Herpetic Neuralgia) forever.  Symptoms like what you describe down my leg and foot.

I didn't get the old vaccine because it was made with a live virus.

This new one is made with a man-made virus.

My doctor & sis-in-law is a nurse and they both said to get it bc the protection % is over 90%.

I will be truly a basket case if I ever get shingles again; and, you can get it multiple times. 

Retired Community Manager

Hello @GailL1, you make a good point and after reading your post I edited the OP to specify that this is a new vaccine. Indeed, this is the second shingles vaccine on the market. The article, FDA Approves New Vaccine Against Painful Shingles, talks about this being a "...a new, more effective vaccine..." 

Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks, AARPLynn,

Yes, some stuff does get by me - this is good to know for several reasons

From your link:

GlaxoSmithKline said the price of its shingles vaccine, called Shingrix, will be $280 for the required two shots. Merck & Co.'s one-shot Zostavax costs $223. Most insurance plans cover it.

Now that there is competition - perhaps the price will come down but since it seems the new one is better (?) the price for this one might stay high or go higher if the demand is there.

I don't think this new vaccine would have ever been developed except for the money which Merck reportedly made off Zostavax especially since Medicare promoted it as well as the CDC.

. . . . and it has a better (?) efficacy rate than Zostavax -

Zostavax reduced the incidence of herpes zoster by 70% in 50–59-year-olds, by 64% in 60–69-year-olds and by 38% in people aged 70 and older in its pivotal trials. Shingrix vaccine provided 97% protection against herpes zoster in patients aged 50 years and over.

The new one (Shingrix) ia also a non-live, recombinant subunit vaccine.  This differs from Zostavax which is a live vaccine and where prep and injection route by the pharmacy giving it is imperative.  That's the reason my doc would not give me an Rx - he said for these specification, he wanted to make sure it was given correctly so I had it in his office.  Zostavax was given subcutaneously, Shingrix is give intramuscular.

This sounds great all the way around -

Thanks for the heads up.

Honored Social Butterfly

No, not any more than I would get the flu vaccine; rather take my chances.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Periodic Contributor

Nice to know I'm not alone!

Contributor

We baby boomers all had "shots" as a child. Immunizations are very important to babies and adults. Why would you NOT get the vaccine? Preventive medicine is very important in these times of contatagious viruses. I want to do all I can to protect myself from everything possible.

Periodic Contributor

Misdinosed at hospital had pain for 14 years. Will shot help
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Well, I'm a few years shy of 60, so it isn't something that's particularly recommended for me yet, but I'm with @EveRH on this one. I think as long as my health and lifestyle* holds, I'll not get the vaccine (or flu shot). Later, say, when I'm 85 and perhaps beginning to become frail and therefore live in a condo or apt, well, that might be another thing altogether.

* No contact with children, very little contact with the public, super healthy with muscular, athletic build, so minimal risk of either getting or transmitting flu or shingles.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, and in fact I received the vaccine last year. I had chickenpox as a child. My mother had shingles and it was a horrible experience. I asked my doctor about the vaccine, and she agreed that I should have it, and to do it before I changed over to Medicare because Medicare would not pay for it. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP