AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you do for your menopause symptoms?

Message 11 of 45

I used a "chillow" at night for sleeping.  It is like a cold pack one refrigerated that is placed in a cover.  I also used 100% cotton nightgowns, sheets, and alight cotton blanket.  I drank lots of ice water.

During the day I wore cotton tops.  I used a hand held fan when needed.  After 10 years the hot flashes stopped. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 45

@Cirice

It is a good diet, was not easy though if being honest :-) I also eased into it, I was never very fond of veggies but today I almost eat all of them, lol. It's all about finding recipes that suit your taste. The sugar I reduced on a monthly basis, I started by removing 1/2 a tsp per month, now I am sugar-free :-) I also tested different coffees, I went from normal coffee to percolator and then found chocolate coffee beans for the percolator, now I'm hooked, lol :-) Baby steps gets it done :-)

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 45

@BronwynM413834  Sounds like a good, healthy diet. I don't know if I could do it.  I'd have to really ease in to it, lol!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 45

Hi, Cirice :-)

I cut out sugar, processed foods and things like bread, rice, cereals, etc. I added yogurt, full cream, and a bit more veggies. It allowed me to be myself again, lol.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 45

Hi Bronwyn Smiley Happy

What changes did you make to your diet that helped you? Who know... maybe it will help me, too!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 45

Hi, all :-)

I am only turning 40 this year, yet, I have had all those symptoms for about 6 years already. It started soon after my hysterectomy. So, naturally, I thought menopause or hormones. I went from one doctor the to next and no one could tell me why I was having all these symptoms except that it was not menopause or hormones.

After trying hormone tabs and other medications, that did nothing, I eventually got to a doctor who suggested it might be sugar. So, I had my sugar levels tested and wham, that was it. I changed my diet and most of the symptoms disappeared. I can only hope that by the time menopause actually hits me it will be a bit less of an inconvenience than that time was for me, lol :-)

Thanks for sharing all the great advice as well, interesting read :-)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 45

Yes, I have never heard of wild yam cream? Where you get it? Thank You

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 45
That sounds great! I am hoping it will work for me, too.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 45

I have a prescription for 0.1 mg of Clonidine daily. I take half of the pill at noon and the other half right before bed at about midnight. No more hot flashes. I take two other meds for my high blood pressure, one in the morning and one at night. I was experiencing high blood pressure in the middle of the day until I started taking the Clonidine at noon. It lasts me longer than two hours, so I'm happy and so is my doctor.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 45
Was the endocrinologist able to help you? What were their findings? I saw my doctor a couple of days ago and she agreed to prescribe a small dose of Clonidine for me to take daily. She knew all about that study they had done on it; the study was like 30 years ago, and she said the medicine is no longer used for blood pressure because it only lasts about 2 hours and one would have to take multiple pills a day. However, it is still available so she prescribed a very low dose and warned me my BP might go down very low for 2 hours and to be aware. I have to pick up the Rx today, and will start it tomorrow morning. We will see. (fingers crossed).
Kudos
Views