Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

There is a law that will not allow you to be cremated after death if you have no living relatives.

Contributor

There is a law that will not allow you to be cremated after death if you have no living relatives.

I've been told by a lawyer and a funeral director that all cremations need to be signed for by a near relative or by a friend that has signed and sworn to your wishes while you are alive.  This form must be notarized.  In order for the signed affidavit to be considered lawful, you must pre-decease the friend.  A will or notarized letter with your wishes is not valid in this instance.  A power of attorney is also not going to help in this situation.  Does anyone know how this law came to be?  When was this law enacted?  Is there someone or some group that I can bring this problem to?  I'm trying to pre-pay my funeral expenses.  I've been stopped in my tracks by this problem.  Any ideas?

Periodic Contributor

This must be a specific state thing because it isn't true in PA. My parents both had pre-planned cremations and I signed nothing when I went to schedule the graveside service except for the burial insurance. I also have a funeral contract to be cremated and the funeral home knew I was having a no frills "burn and bury" because I have no family. There is a short hold of about two days to get permission from the coroner before the cremation is allowed (in case any suspicions are raised about the death)  but the coroner's sign-off is the only thing required.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

(3/2/24) @nm68067 , thanks for posting this information. I am presuming you have someone who will KNOW you died and make arrangements to REMOVE your body from where you died?  😎

[*** @nm68067 wrote:

This must be a specific state thing because it isn't true in PA. My parents both had pre-planned cremations and I signed nothing when I went to schedule the graveside service except for the burial insurance. I also have a funeral contract to be cremated and the funeral home knew I was having a no frills "burn and bury" because I have no family. There is a short hold of about two days to get permission from the coroner before the cremation is allowed (in case any suspicions are raised about the death)  but the coroner's sign-off is the only thing required. ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Not all of us have that option.   Hire an attorney?

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote:
(3/2/24) @nm68067 , thanks for posting this information. I am presuming you have someone who will KNOW you died and make arrangements to REMOVE your body from where you died?  

(3/27/24) @Tempest332 , what does hiring an Attorney have to do with Body Removal?  👵

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Someone has to direct someone to clean up the mess.  I always let them know at work if they don't see or hear from me by 1 pm in, but since many "work safely from home", there's less of a concern.    

(3/27/24) @Tempest332 , good that you are a "reliable" employee who turns up for work. And YES, that is how many DEAD folks are found these days of NO ONE CARING society = boss gets "p.ssed" employee has NOT shown up and they have to do the employee's job = eventually goes by employee's house or calls cops for a Wellness Check. Grateful I have a daughter who texts me daily to make sure I lived through the night. Being retired, one is isolated from folks "noticing" this = your car is usually at home.  👵

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

WHAT?? Ridiculous!

So, if you cannot be cremated because you don't have a notarized person to sign for the fire; then what? Do they throw you out to the buzzards or haul you off to the landfill?

Ridiculous!

I have a small burial /life insurance policy and my best friend will...hopefully use it for my cremation; a simple, in a box, I go.....then sent to my girls kind of thing.

What a stupid law

Regular Contributor

I live in NJ and this is the first time I'm hearing about this.  My sister's boyfriend passed away last month (Nov 2022) and she had him cremated.  Funeral director did not require a notarized document.  Could it possibly be a State law and therefore only applies to residents of your state?

Barbara

Honored Social Butterfly

Then there is always this:

KHN 10/24/2022 - Listen: How Does Human Composting Work?

. . . . a new California law that will allow “human composting” as an alternative to burial and cremation.  This is the 5th state that has such a law.

more details at the link

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Regular Social Butterfly

Not sure what this applies to; 15+ years ago I signed body donation > cremation > ashes to diamonds forms, with specific eol directives; the diamonds are for daughters, if they choose to accept.

I'd check here: Science Care - Body donation overview 

Then here, if interested: LifeGem 

I opted for these choices following 9/11. I researched then, and updated as changes were made in laws.

One of the main reasons I chose these options was I did not want daughters to spend time at the cemetery "speaking" with me, as I had more than 20 years of doing with my dad...

Please know you are doing the best thing for your family, no matter what you choose! Good on you! Proud to know you!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Your state should have all the specifics for you - they are the ruling body in this instance.

Here is some general info for you -

VeryWellHealth.com - End of Life Concerns - What Happens to Unclaimed Cremated Remains

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

Achieve a top score in our Tournament Tuesday Word Games in May and you could win $100 every 30 days!

Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP