Watch AARP’s Movies for Grownups awards show online! View the streaming video on PBS.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

The lighter side of colonoscopies

Message 1 of 2

At age 50, we become eligible to join AARP and also to get our first colonoscopy.

Humorist Dave Barry wrote a funny column in The Miami Herald back in 2008 describing his first colonoscopy. It’s still worth a read and a laugh for those who don’t mind a little medical humor.

The column starts out:

OK. You turned 50. You know you're supposed to get a colonoscopy. But you haven't. Here are your reasons:

1. You've been busy.

2. You don't have a history of cancer in your family.

3. You haven't noticed any problems.

4. You don't want a doctor to stick a tube 17,000 feet up your butt.

Let's examine these reasons one at a time. No, wait, let's not. Because you and I both know that the only real reason is No. 4. This is natural. The idea of having another human, even a medical human, becoming deeply involved in what is technically known as your ''behindular zone'' gives you the creeping willies.

Read the rest of the column here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/11/427603/dave-barry-a-journey-into-my-colon.html

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

The lighter side of colonoscopies

Message 1 of 2

At age 50, we become eligible to join AARP and also to get our first colonoscopy.

Humorist Dave Barry wrote a funny column in The Miami Herald back in 2008 describing his first colonoscopy. It’s still worth a read and a laugh for those who don’t mind a little medical humor.

The column starts out:

OK. You turned 50. You know you're supposed to get a colonoscopy. But you haven't. Here are your reasons:

1. You've been busy.

2. You don't have a history of cancer in your family.

3. You haven't noticed any problems.

4. You don't want a doctor to stick a tube 17,000 feet up your butt.

Let's examine these reasons one at a time. No, wait, let's not. Because you and I both know that the only real reason is No. 4. This is natural. The idea of having another human, even a medical human, becoming deeply involved in what is technically known as your ''behindular zone'' gives you the creeping willies.

Read the rest of the column here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/11/427603/dave-barry-a-journey-into-my-colon.html

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies