Trusted Contributor

Reflux due to Hiatal Hernia

I've been suffering with reflux due to a Hiatal Hernia and have been on Omeprazole which helped for awhile, but is no longer controlling symptoms- chest tightness, sore throat, heartburn, cough, difficulty swallowing. I'm following the guidelines for GERD- no citrus, tomatoes, carbonated drinks, alcohol or chocolate 😭 but still having severe symptoms. Has anyone had the surgery to repair the hiatal hernia? The doctor hadn't recommended it, and I'm not sure why. Any other tips that are working for you?

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

@UpperHandsPiano -  I'm having the same problem with GERD for over a year now. I follow the diet guidelines and have taken ALL of the "prazole" drugs, and none of them will control it. I recently changed doctors, and will have another EGD this week to see if there are any new gastro problems and check my esophagus. On my last EGD, it had to be dilated to help with swallowing problem. I found that taking one regular strength Tums at night gave more relief from the acid reflux than just about anything else. I never take more than one at a time and follow directions for spacing, if necessary. Night is generally when I have the most trouble.

Have you had an EGD (endoscopy)? Are you seeing a gastroenterologist? 

I want to follow this thread to see what others are doing. Good luck to you my friend.

"Rock 'n' roll might not solve your problems, but it does let you dance all over them." Pete Townshend

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I've had an endoscopy in 2019 which showed a small hiatal hernia, but my symptoms got much worse this year, in spite of taking omeprazole (one of the "prazole" drugs 🤣). In response the doc wants me to double the dose to 40mg. I just can't imagine being on this drug for the rest of my life, and never eating another lemon or tomato. How sad is that! I'll try getting tums for the nighttime and see how that goes. The gastroenterologist said that nighttime is a peak time for the release of acid. So awful! Also he wants me to get a mattress wedge to put under the top part of the mattress. that sounds very uncomfortable! And I don't think my husband would much appreciate it, which means I sleep alone?! Aargh. Thanks for your reply! I love your quote.

Honored Social Butterfly

My doc also doubled my med a few times. It may help for a while, but after about a month, it quit working for me. Then it was on to the next med, etc. I do have a wedge pillow that was designed for GERD. It’s comfortable and does help.

"Rock 'n' roll might not solve your problems, but it does let you dance all over them." Pete Townshend
Trusted Contributor

I'm glad to know that you're comfortable with the mattress wedge. I'll give it a try.  I hate the idea of constantly trying new meds. The surgery seems not too invasive. Why aren't they suggesting it do you think?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

What I have is a wedge pillow that goes on top of the bed. I use it with a body wrap pillow which is very comfortable. But choose the option you’re more comfortable with. 

I asked my doctor about the hiatus hernia and whether that was affecting my acid reflux. He said not really, that most everyone has a small hiatus hernia. He’s never suggested getting it repaired. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@UpperHandsPiano -  I'm having the same problem with GERD for over a year now. I follow the diet guidelines and have taken ALL of the "prazole" drugs, and none of them will control it. I recently changed doctors, and will have another EGD this week to see if there are any new gastro problems and check my esophagus. On my last EGD, it had to be dilated to help with swallowing problem. I found that taking one regular strength Tums at night gave more relief from the acid reflux than just about anything else. I never take more than one at a time and follow directions for spacing, if necessary. Night is generally when I have the most trouble.

Have you had an EGD (endoscopy)? Are you seeing a gastroenterologist? 

I want to follow this thread to see what others are doing. Good luck to you my friend.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: Social Security

Discuss your thoughts about the 2022 Social Security cost-of-living adjustment with AARP experts - and ask a question to earn 50 AARP Rewards points. Join the discussion now.

AARP Make Your Move Contest 2021

Enter Today! Ends 10/22/2021. See Official Rules

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health