Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

Reflux due to Hiatal Hernia

I've been suffering with reflux due to a Hiatal Hernia and have been on Omeprazole which helped for awhile, but is no longer controlling symptoms- chest tightness, sore throat, heartburn, cough, difficulty swallowing. I'm following the guidelines for GERD- no citrus, tomatoes, carbonated drinks, alcohol or chocolate ๐Ÿ˜ญ but still having severe symptoms. Has anyone had the surgery to repair the hiatal hernia? The doctor hadn't recommended it, and I'm not sure why. Any other tips that are working for you?

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

@UpperHandsPiano -  I'm having the same problem with GERD for over a year now. I follow the diet guidelines and have taken ALL of the "prazole" drugs, and none of them will control it. I recently changed doctors, and will have another EGD this week to see if there are any new gastro problems and check my esophagus. On my last EGD, it had to be dilated to help with swallowing problem. I found that taking one regular strength Tums at night gave more relief from the acid reflux than just about anything else. I never take more than one at a time and follow directions for spacing, if necessary. Night is generally when I have the most trouble.

Have you had an EGD (endoscopy)? Are you seeing a gastroenterologist? 

I want to follow this thread to see what others are doing. Good luck to you my friend.

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Yes, I've had an endoscopy in 2019 which showed a small hiatal hernia, but my symptoms got much worse this year, in spite of taking omeprazole (one of the "prazole" drugs ๐Ÿคฃ). In response the doc wants me to double the dose to 40mg. I just can't imagine being on this drug for the rest of my life, and never eating another lemon or tomato. How sad is that! I'll try getting tums for the nighttime and see how that goes. The gastroenterologist said that nighttime is a peak time for the release of acid. So awful! Also he wants me to get a mattress wedge to put under the top part of the mattress. that sounds very uncomfortable! And I don't think my husband would much appreciate it, which means I sleep alone?! Aargh. Thanks for your reply! I love your quote.

Honored Social Butterfly

My doc also doubled my med a few times. It may help for a while, but after about a month, it quit working for me. Then it was on to the next med, etc. I do have a wedge pillow that was designed for GERD. Itโ€™s comfortable and does help.

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Super Contributor

I'm glad to know that you're comfortable with the mattress wedge. I'll give it a try.  I hate the idea of constantly trying new meds. The surgery seems not too invasive. Why aren't they suggesting it do you think?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

What I have is a wedge pillow that goes on top of the bed. I use it with a body wrap pillow which is very comfortable. But choose the option youโ€™re more comfortable with. 

I asked my doctor about the hiatal hernia and whether that was affecting my acid reflux. He said not really, that most everyone has a small hiatal hernia. Heโ€™s never suggested getting it repaired. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@UpperHandsPiano -  I'm having the same problem with GERD for over a year now. I follow the diet guidelines and have taken ALL of the "prazole" drugs, and none of them will control it. I recently changed doctors, and will have another EGD this week to see if there are any new gastro problems and check my esophagus. On my last EGD, it had to be dilated to help with swallowing problem. I found that taking one regular strength Tums at night gave more relief from the acid reflux than just about anything else. I never take more than one at a time and follow directions for spacing, if necessary. Night is generally when I have the most trouble.

Have you had an EGD (endoscopy)? Are you seeing a gastroenterologist? 

I want to follow this thread to see what others are doing. Good luck to you my friend.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP